Thistle V Sevco

An interesting stat I picked up on the Twitter thingummy.

Thistle have conceded to either draw or lose the game in the 80th+ minute 9 times this season.

That's over a quarter of our league games.

That suggests, as others have commented, a fitness problem - and injuries have plagued the squad this season. The future training facilities may be a solution, at least in part.

In the second half we simply started to let them play, allowed them possession, and hoped to play it out for the 1-0, and then 1-1.

Big mistake.

They brought on fresh players; we didn't. Another big mistake.

Miller's work for their winner was excellent, have to admit.

Had to be too annoyed after what has been an excellent season. We still lack that killer instinct to finish teams off and the curse of last minute goals continues to haunt us.

Apart from the equaliser, thought Elliot played well and same with Lawless and the winner.

Doolan became isolated as we sat back and his strength is not running channels and holding up the ball.

Thoroughly enjoyed most of the game. I thought we were tremendous. We ran the midfield for long periods and forced them to play hoofball.

The substitutions on both sides changed the game. We were light on the bench due to injury and suspension. I don't blame Archie for delaying his subs, I think he knew it would affect our game.

Gutted at the end, of course, but an afternoon watching the Jags play nice football in the sunshine was very pleasant for 80 mins.. Despite the loss, it was great to leave the ground without, as l-i-b has intimated, worrying about how it would affect our league status. Progress indeed.

Could be said that the ridiculous refereeing decision against Hearts deprived us of a player who could have helped shore up our defence and see the game out. Though Lindsay and Keown are fine, Devine has a wee bit more experience.

Further to your point, if we can get our defence sorted out (players likely to leave) early with new players bedded in and we can avoid the number of injuries we've had this season,we could really have a good chance of making top 6 again (and maybe even a wee cup run?). With Hibs coming up I think making 6th position again would actually be progression.

I think Archie is at a stage where he only trusts about 13/14 players to be able to deliver, especially against the stronger teams.. This has been reduced due to injuries, but also as some players have not improved at the same rate as the team. Lawless was not able to challenge miler for the second goal I think due to tiredness, but Archie did not feel Amoo was able to replace Lawless. The only other replacement could have been Mustapha for Lawless.

Hopefully the new season will see players returning from injury, all the players getting a full pre-season training, and some new additions to the squad along with a new certain starter to the team. A wee shake up may be required.

But there is not a lot wrong with Thistle at this moment.

Could be said that the ridiculous refereeing decision against Hearts deprived us of a player who could have helped shore up our defence and see the game out. Though Lindsay and Keown are fine, Devine has a wee bit more experience.

Further to your point, if we can get our defence sorted out (players likely to leave) early with new players bedded in and we can avoid the number of injuries we've had this season,we could really have a good chance of making top 6 again (and maybe even a wee cup run?). With Hibs coming up I think making 6th position again would actually be progression.

The league doesn't show it, but going on what I have seen this season, only the top 3 are better than us and in Sevco's case that is probably marginal, given the two games at Firhill where we should have been unbeaten against them. If Lindsay and Keown leave we will need a couple of central defenders in, though Liam was quoted at the weekend that he is in no rush to leave as he is still learning his trade. If we could just find another striker in the Moult, Boyce mould, we would be well set. It will be harder next season, but I think we will be a better side next season as well

• Like 1

It was another boot in the nuts yesterday, the only thing IMO which Archie did wrong was not bring the subs on earlier. Half an hour into the game I said to my mate that there was no way we could keep up that intensity for the full game, therefore a couple of changes after 60 or 70 minutes would have helped.

We need to bring in another couple of quality players in the close season because Miller showed yesterday that having a player who is a cut above the rest can earn you valuable points, additionally we need a digger in midfield,someone like Draper at ICT or MCKinnon ( if he wasn't such a tube) from Accies, you get the drift though, someone to annoy and harass the opposition particularly in the closing stages of games.

In the second half we simply started to let them play, allowed them possession, and hoped to play it out for the 1-0, and then1-1.

We didn't try and settle for 1-1. We went immediately on the attack. Their winner came from breaking up our attack. No idea if we could've easily cut our losses and settled for a point or in a more crucial game if we would've gone canny. Nor, given our track record, would it be anything more than mere speculation we'd have been successful at keeping it at 1-1.

The fact we can't go down the league you could argue at 1-1 chasing 2 pts to the risk of losing 1 pt makes sense. My point all season, when we've lost last minute goals, is they often should've been inconsequential. Like yesterday we played at least 30 minutes following Doolan's goal when we were well on top with nothing to show for it.

• Like 2

An interesting stat I picked up on the Twitter thingummy.

Thistle have conceded to either draw or lose the game in the 80th+ minute 9 times this season.

That's over a quarter of our league games.

If you look at 90th+ minute goals which have changed results -

1-2 Hearts (27/8/16) (90)

1-1 Ross County (22/10/16) (94)

2-1 St Johnstone (29/10/16) (90) - LAST MINUTE GOAL FOR US

1-2 Sevco (26/11/16) (94)

1-1 Inverness (11/3/17) (91)

1-2 Sevco (7/5/17) (94)

A swing of 5 points overall in injury time, including games throughout the season. Not sure how unusual that is ? Might be possible to save a few points by employing some time wasting tactics after the 90 minutes are over if we're level or in front ?

If you look at 90th+ minute goals which have changed results -

1-2 Hearts (27/8/16) (90)

1-1 Ross County (22/10/16) (94)

2-1 St Johnstone (29/10/16) (90) - LAST MINUTE GOAL FOR US

1-2 Sevco (26/11/16) (94)

1-1 Inverness (11/3/17) (91)

1-2 Sevco (7/5/17) (94)

A swing of 5 points overall in injury time, including games throughout the season. Not sure how unusual that is ? Might be possible to save a few points by employing some time wasting tactics after the 90 minutes are over if we're level or in front ?

Labouring my point yet again but highlighting the fact we only scored a solitary goal on each occasion and these games were at home.

• Like 1

We didn't try and settle for 1-1. We went immediately on the attack. Their winner came from breaking up our attack. No idea if we could've easily cut our losses and settled for a point or in a more crucial game if we would've gone canny. Nor, given our track record, would it be anything more than mere speculation we'd have been successful at keeping it at 1-1.

The fact we can't go down the league you could argue at 1-1 chasing 2 pts to the risk of losing 1 pt makes sense. My point all season, when we've lost last minute goals, is they often should've been inconsequential. Like yesterday we played at least 30 minutes following Doolan's goal when we were well on top with nothing to show for it.

This is why I feel we need to find a player who will get us more goals - not a guy who can replace Doolan but someone who has the ability to play in one of the attacking midfield positions (while Doolan or another player is centre forward) and still get double figures in a season.

Edited by Mr Bunny

This is why I feel we need to find a player who will get us more goals - not a guy who can replace Doolan but someone who has the ability to play in one of the attacking midfield positions (while Doolan or another player is centre forward) and still get double figures in a season.

Tony Andreau

We managed to get top 6 this season after a slow start and just missed out last season after a worse start so if we can make a decent start next season and add a little extra quality in the final third over the summer we should be confident of making top 6 but to get that extra quality we need to make sure that we increase the number of season ticket holders, people in the players fund, etc so the club can give Archie the best possible budget.

• Like 1

Tony Andreau

Went to the Morton v Utd game on Sat and thought he had a great game, linked up well, great assist, rattled the bar and brought out a couple of great saves from keeper. Hard working and unlucky not to get in the scoresheet. Played between midfield and strikers.

Edited by Caramaca
  • Like 1

There's no doubt Andreu has been United's star man this season, so I can't see any way he'll end up at Firhill. I think he'll end up at a club with a much bigger budget, that's if Norwich want to let him go. If United come up I expect he'll be back there

If we keep Lindsay and managed to get Keown would it be worth only signing 1 other player on a higher wage, I.e 2/3 salaries combined if it was the quality of someone like Andreau?

Do we have enough cover elsewhere to do this, just a thought

If we keep Lindsay and managed to get Keown would it be worth only signing 1 other player on a higher wage, I.e 2/3 salaries combined if it was the quality of someone like Andreau?

Do we have enough cover elsewhere to do this, just a thought

We can never tell, but to reach top 6 relatively comfortably in the knowledge that 2 of our best players would be missing for most of the season, added to other injuries and a poor start, I think a marquee signing may be enough if we hold onto the team.

The coaching staff have been able to improve the team and individual players each year. I expect this to continue, but I also expect offers for our players. And I think we may see Archie start the season, but he will be high on all lists as sackings begin next season. But the way the club is being run at the moment, this may not have as big an impact on the club as happened when Lambie left, or further back, Auld.

No doubting that United would've struggled badly this season without Andreau, possibly be in the play offs at the wrong end of the league. No idea what Norwich's plans for him now that Neil is away but he must certainly have fulfilled the objective of his loan spell.

In answer to Vinny I can't see him at Firhill unless under another loan spell. The fact that Andreau would be 31 by the time a 2 year deal is up, and presuming he wouldn't come cheap, would work against Archie's signing philosophy. I agree tho' he's very likely to be the type of player we need.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

If we keep Lindsay and managed to get Keown would it be worth only signing 1 other player on a higher wage, I.e 2/3 salaries combined if it was the quality of someone like Andreau? Do we have enough cover elsewhere to do this, just a thought

We have Welsh and Bannigan to return to midfield and possibly Fraser though I think he will leave - on the other hand McCarthy looks like he could step up as a genuine squad member so that would be three good quality midfield players on top of the recent regulars of Osman, Edwards, Barton Lawless and Erskine (though the latter two are out and out attacking midfield/wingers). It's also possible Penrice may break through next season. So I think we are looking to get in an attacking midfield/winger who is a genuine goalscorer. Elsewhere we basically are looking at replacements for Lindsay and Keown if they leave - ideally we keep one of them so the defence is OK without needing time to gel. Perhaps a covering player who can play several defensive positions.

all this nonsense about being beaten. I watched the game here too, same as my mate Doug whom has been exiled. Losing like this is nothing. You should have been at Ibrox when we were flying high and going to win the league in 62 and Ralph bloody Brand scored the only goal with his hand, now that was heart breaking. Only good thing from that was that neither of the ugly sisters won the league, Kilmarnock did

• Like 1