Dundee 16/12/2017

Jimmy McD

I heard some of the Sportsound coverage and it sounded as though we were completely overrun. Having just watched the match on ALBA, the 3 goal difference flattered Dundee, and in the second half we gave as good as we got. Thought that their 2nd goal may have been offside. Barton I thought had a good game, with good distribution and few errors. By contrast Lawless was dreadful - making the wrong decisions, and often losing possession when a simple pass would have been more effective. I agree that the wings offer little since the final cross is usually dire, and Erskine, Doolan and Edwards were much more of a threat going through the middle.

Despite all our problems, I don't think that changing the manager now would be beneficial. A new manager would want wholesale changes in the January transfer window, and that gives a double dose of uncertainty. I hope that the club give Alan Archibald a chance to turn things round, and allow him to bring in some new faces: waiting for injured players to return will not be enough. They have to back him with some cash or sack him now.

If he fails to keep us up then he has had every chance and should removed, and the club has confirmed its credentials as a decent employer, which in itself may be helpful in attracting a better manager than a hire and fire club.

Edited by eljaggo

I heard some of the Sportsound coverage and it sounded as though we were completely overrun. Having just watched the match on ALBA, the 3 goal difference flattered Dundee, and in the second half we gave as good as we got. Thought that their 2nd goal may have been offside. Barton I thoght had a good game, with good distribution and few errors. By contrast Lawless was dreadful - making the wrong decisions, and often losing possession when a simple pass would have been more effective. I agree that the wings offer little since the final cross is usually dire, and Erskine, Doolan and Edwards were much more of a threat going through the middle.

Despite all our problems, I don't think that changing the manager now would be beneficial. A new manager would want wholesale changes in the January transfer window, and that gives a double dose of uncertainty. I hope that the club give Alan Archibald a chance to turn things round, and allow him to bring in some new faces: waiting for injured players to return will not be enough. They have to back him with some cash or sack him now.

If he fails to keep us up then he has had every chance and should removed, and the club has confirmed its credentials as a decent employer, which in itself may be helpful in attracting a better manager than a hire and fire club.

Yes he’s proved himself this season ....we are bottom if the league

I heard some of the Sportsound coverage and it sounded as though we were completely overrun. Having just watched the match on ALBA, the 3 goal difference flattered Dundee, and in the second half we gave as good as we got. Thought that their 2nd goal may have been offside. Barton I thought had a good game, with good distribution and few errors. By contrast Lawless was dreadful - making the wrong decisions, and often losing possession when a simple pass would have been more effective. I agree that the wings offer little since the final cross is usually dire, and Erskine, Doolan and Edwards were much more of a threat going through the middle.

Every poster - myself included - says that changing the manager now would not be beneficial.

OK - what would be beneficial then? Because right now it ain't working.

You are 100% right. How many goals do we need to lose before we stop backing off. Thats the most frustrating part of our defending. Its abysmal

I just don’t get it, I’ve no idea why the management team and players can’t see it. Whilst we are suffering from a lack of holding midfielders, it’s still bizarre. When Moussa rag dolled Keown today before the second goal, he was then faced with three Jags players, all of whom retreated faster than the French army. Why didn’t one of them step out? That’s meant to be one of the benefits of playing three at the back

Another bad result and a poor performance too apparently. Only fools would make judgements on a game they hadn't seen but I will repeat my comment after the Hibs game - a team with Edwards & Barton in midfield, Storey & Sammon up front and no left back is likely to be relegated. I only saw the Motherwell game on BBC Alba but although we scored three well-taken goals, we looked a poor side - three aimless hoofs in the first 90 seconds set the pattern.

I was concerned about our midfield from the latter part of last season after Welsh got injured(again) particularly with the doubts about Bannigan, Fraser & Osman being the force they were before their injuries...we still don't know as they have been out injured. Archie is due criticism for his recruitment and his failure to find a solution to the clear deficiencies in the side. He has been unfortunate with injuries decimating out full backs and midfield but with the exception of Cerny and Spittal (and Barton in Defence) I don't rate any of our starting eleven today as good Premiership standard players.

Although we have been a much poorer side than in any of the four previous seasons, astonishingly we are only two points behind the 11th placed club. If we don't win both home games this month against Hamilton & Ross County, I fear that we are doomed even if our injured players return.

Disappointing though our performances have been, I am getting a bit tired of the repetitive posts of a few on here who seem to take a gleeful delight in telling us over and over again how rotten we are. They don't seem to go to any games or if they do, they have nothing insightful to add about our players or formation other than sack the manager. That hasn't worked for Ross County or Falkirk despite their new managers having decent track records. Some of the suggestions are ludicrous - Jack Ross is not leaving a team likely to be promoted for a team likely to be relegated. Maybe the Board will come up with an inspired choice but I don't see any obvious candidates - frankly I would prefer to stick with Archie than bring in the likes of Jim McIntyre, Peter Houston or John Hughes who have failed more than once with similar sized clubs to Thistle.

• Like 2

Another bad result and a poor performance too apparently. Only fools would make judgements on a game they hadn't seen but I will repeat my comment after the Hibs game - a team with Edwards & Barton in midfield, Storey & Sammon up front and no left back is likely to be relegated. I only saw the Motherwell game on BBC Alba but although we scored three well-taken goals, we looked a poor side - three aimless hoofs in the first 90 seconds set the pattern.

I was concerned about our midfield from the latter part of last season after Welsh got injured(again) particularly with the doubts about Bannigan, Fraser & Osman being the force they were before their injuries...we still don't know as they have been out injured. Archie is due criticism for his recruitment and his failure to find a solution to the clear deficiencies in the side. He has been unfortunate with injuries decimating out full backs and midfield but with the exception of Cerny and Spittal (and Barton in Defence) I don't rate any of our starting eleven today as good Premiership standard players.

Although we have been a much poorer side than in any of the four previous seasons, astonishingly we are only two points behind the 11th placed club. If we don't win both home games this month against Hamilton & Ross County, I fear that we are doomed even if our injured players return.

Disappointing though our performances have been, I am getting a bit tired of the repetitive posts of a few on here who seem to take a gleeful delight in telling us over and over again how rotten we are. They don't seem to go to any games or if they do, they have nothing insightful to add about our players or formation other than sack the manager. That hasn't worked for Ross County or Falkirk despite their new managers having decent track records. Some of the suggestions are ludicrous - Jack Ross is not leaving a team likely to be promoted for a team likely to be relegated. Maybe the Board will come up with an inspired choice but I don't see any obvious candidates - frankly I would prefer to stick with Archie than bring in the likes of Jim McIntyre, Peter Houston or John Hughes who have failed more than once with similar sized clubs to Thistle.

Yep hasn’t worked for Kilmarnock .....

Whatever is happening now clearly isn’t working

The worst goals conceded and the fewest goals scored = relegation

Yep hasn’t worked for Kilmarnock .....

Whatever is happening now clearly isn’t working

The worst goals conceded and the fewest goals scored = relegation

Maybe there is a Thistle Fan who has been an Assistant to Jose Mourinho at Champions League Level & managed a Team to eighth position in the English Premier League who wasn't in a job and fancied a try with the side he had always supported. If there is, I would thank Alan Archibald for his services and ask when he could start.

Edited by Winter of '63
  • Like 1

Maybe there is a Thistle Fan who has been an Assistant to Jose Mourinho at Champions League Level & managed a Team to eighth position in the English Premier League who wasn't in a job and fancied a try with the side he had always supported. If there is, I would thank Alan Archibald for his services and ask when he could start.

That was then this is now ......we are currently bottom of the league

The less we change the more happens ?!

Every poster - myself included - says that changing the manager now would not be beneficial.

OK - what would be beneficial then? Because right now it ain't working.

1. Recognising that injured players recovering is not going to be anywhere near enough.

2. Recognising that new players are needed in January

3. Recognising that there is no point changing the manager unless a demonstrably better one is known, available and would come.

Edited by eljaggo
  • Like 1

I'd like to paint an optimistic picture of our visit to Tayside today? Unfortunately, there was absolutely nothing positive to report from an icy Dens Park. The entire team were awful,, apart from the only two who looked vaguely caoable of posing any kind of threat to Dundee. Both of whom were inexplicably hooked at half-time by our ever perspicacious management team.

Put,simply we are the worst team in the league to date and I can genuinely find no reason to believe that we won't be relegated.

If by some miracle we survive, then no one will be happier than I.

I love the excuse of injured players. Archie cultivates them for god sake, he actually signs injured players then once their fit doesn't play them. totally squanders the Weirs investment by not bringing on home grown talent or taking an active interest in youth development. Took a team that McNamara build and took credit for and ran it right into the quick. Our only saving grace is in previous seasons was the teams below were utter crap thus saving us. And again this season a half decent team in this p**h league could probably reach the top six.................counter attacking passing football, give me a break....GOALS!!!!!

• Like 1

I'd like to paint an optimistic picture of our visit to Tayside today? Unfortunately, there was absolutely nothing positive to report from an icy Dens Park. The entire team were awful,, apart from the only two who looked vaguely caoable of posing any kind of threat to Dundee. Both of whom were inexplicably hooked at half-time by our ever perspicacious management team.

Put,simply we are the worst team in the league to date and I can genuinely find no reason to believe that we won't be relegated.

If by some miracle we survive, then no one will be happier than I.

This

What struck me most about the game was how bad our centre backs were, in particular Devine.

I might be biased, as throughout my playing days, I hated centre backs trying to do anything but mark and tackle.

Every one of them would rather be a sweeper and pull others in to do their job.

To be fair to Archie, I think he set up to support in wider and more forward positions.

I'm pretty sure he will be shocked and disgusted that his centre backs were powder puff.

They were given their actual job to do as Barton was allowed forward more etc., and completely bottled it.

I change my mind frequently as to where our weakest position is but these guys were asked to do their job without 3 other players 'helping' them, and really disappointed.

Someone needs to give them a good shake and quickly.