Trivial

BowenBoys

No-one will soon forget the 0-0 draw with Fleetwood Town in 2014. But cast your mind back further to the first time Thistle played a team from Fleetwood.

Name the team, the year, the score and the competition.

I could look that up in about 3 seconds but I'm going to be brave and try and use my memory...

Fleetwood Rangers in the FA Cup of 1886, 7-1 to Thistle. Sure it was away too...

Very good. Wikipedia has it as 7-0. I think all the Scottish teams playing in the FA Cup in the early days played away.

As you will know, in the very first FA Cup, Queens Park were given byes all the way to the semi final. They drew that match but withdrew as they couldn't afford the expense of travelling back down south for the replay.

Clearly not much going on at the moment. The team are sunning themselves and we're not.

Trivia time.

An easy one to start with.

Of the 92 teams in the English leagues, 35 can use triangular corner flags if they wish. Why?

Please add your own questions at will.

I know this. It's for teams who've made a loss, and they are allowed to cut their rectangles in half to teach them how to save money.

• Like 1

Clearly not much going on at the moment. The team are sunning themselves and we're not.

Trivia time.

An easy one to start with.

Of the 92 teams in the English leagues, 35 can use triangular corner flags if they wish. Why?

Please add your own questions at will.

FA Cup winners and the internet seems to think it is a myth

Very good. Wikipedia has it as 7-0. I think all the Scottish teams playing in the FA Cup in the early days played away.

As you will know, in the very first FA Cup, Queens Park were given byes all the way to the semi final. They drew that match but withdrew as they couldn't afford the expense of travelling back down south for the replay.

http://ptearlyyears.net/1880s/1886-87

fleetwood-menu.jpg

Edited by thistle4celtic1
  • Like 1

QP must regret that now. What price history?

Before AF Kincaid logs on to laugh at me, we won 7-0 right enough and it was actually played at Inchview. I see we played a return for jollies down at Fleetwood in the New Year a couple of months later and won 5-4.

Ha! While I was away pottering I see there have been a couple of replies and AFK was a gent and let me off!

Strange how that poster has 3-0.

The FA Cup draw presented treasurer McQuarrie with relief. The trip to Blackburn had lost the club money, but the second round draw gave Partick Thistle a home match with Fleetwood Rangers – a young and inexperienced side that Thistle were expected to beat.

The game remained even only for the first ten minutes before Willie Paul lead his forwards on a goalscoring spree against the visitors. The final score ended 7-0, and Thistle could have scored more but opted not to embarrass the visitors further.

After the game an un-named played gave his thoughts on the opponents: “The Fleetwood Rangers are a most gentlemanly set

LOL @ Menu choices:

- Boiled Fowls & Ham

- Roast Beef

- Roast Mutton

- Corned Beef

- Ox Tongue

- Big Mac

• Like 1

Great thread - just had a read about our 1886-87 FA Cup run, would be brilliant to have something like that now. I appreciate all of the practical issues but it would add some real excitement to the season

ETA - we would probably draw Aberdeen at Pittodrie in the first round and lose 1-0!

Edited by Stephen1876

Sorry cannot answer the question about Cloughie.

I hope that does not preclude me from asking a random question to which I do not know the answer.

We all know the Johnnie Lambie anecdote, "Tell him he's Pele". but

Has any Partick Thistle player ever played against (or perhaps less likely on the same team as) Pele and if so who, where and when?

My preference would be for someone who was then a current player, but if that does not work, someone who went on to play, or had played, for Thistle would be a good second best.

I think Scotland played Brazil 2 or 3 times during the Pele years. Around 1966 at Hampden and again in early 70’s. Pele probably played in the first, so no Jags, but possibly Joe McBride or Bertie Auld? Not sure about the 2nd, it might have been 73 and Pele stopped playing for Brazil by then.

We also played in Rio in a mini-tour or tournament in 72. At that time Tommy Docherty was manager and had a number of our players in the Full & Under 23 squads. I’m sure John Hansen played in Rio, but don’t know about Pele.