Where Are The Young Players?

Big Col

Thought we were going for a blend of youth and over the hill past it experienced players this season.

We started off the season with playing a couple of youngsters that I thought looked quite good and certainly performed far better than some diddies who started today and in recent weeks - Hodge, Kinniburgh, Rowson to name a few.

So was this claim just more bull from McCall? Does he think the squad of players for today's game is the best he has at the club?

Why not give them a go? At least they might show some ambition.

I'm with you - why are we not seeing the young guys?

I understand the theory that dropping them into a losing team could be bad for their morale, but just imagine how good it could be for them if they managed to stop the rot.

As a fan, when you watch young guys making mistakes you cut them some slack and live in hope that they will improve as time goes on.

Watching the older players **** it up week after week is just depressing, because you know that they can only get worse with time.

Get a couple of the enthusiastic youngsters in and let's see what they can do.

I'm with you - why are we not seeing the young guys?

I understand the theory that dropping them into a losing team could be bad for their morale, but just imagine how good it could be for them if they managed to stop the rot.

As a fan, when you watch young guys making mistakes you cut them some slack and live in hope that they will improve as time goes on.

Watching the older players **** it up week after week is just depressing, because you know that they can only get worse with time.

Get a couple of the enthusiastic youngsters in and let's see what they can do.

I agree entirely. There's also the added advantage of the younger players playing alongside McNamara & as likely as not Donnelly.

Bannigan and MacBeth should start next week. Burns looked like a player with real potential, he got himself into some great positions last season, but just couldn't finish, however he was going through a torrid time. But lets get them in!

I'd like to see Burns given a chance too, but I can't see the how changing the frontline is going to changes things drastically.

Strikers need chances and so far this season, except the Dundee game the team have not been creating chances.

How about this team

Scully

McGeough

Boyle

Balatoni

Lochead/Kinniburgh

McNamara

McBeth

Bannigan

Flannigan

Doolan

Burns

It could do any worse than the inept bunch who have lost all but one league game this season.

Change Lockhead/Kinniburgh for Robertson, change Bannigan for Cairney and Id go along with that. But throing youngsters into a relegation battle may do more harm than good.

That was my first match since the Morton away game and I doubt I will be back to see the likes of Hodge and Paton again. I have no desire to watch the same wasters who have shown over the past year that they don't care and aren't good enough send us back to the diddy league.

Get McBeth, Bannigan, McGeough and Burns in the team alongside the ones who have shown some desire and ability like McNamara, Boyle, Flannigan and Doolan and I will return.

The re-vitalised youth set up is something I think we ought to commend McCall on. I beleive he has sacrificed some of his "players budget" because he insists we have to try to produce our own players. I agree with that policy. However, it does raise the question, especially when the squad is small and performing so poorly, where the f**k are these prodiges?

I know these things take time and I don't expect us to be churning out many "Scotland's answer to Lionel Messi"'s in the near future, but right now there is little evidence of even raising these guys to level where they are threating the positions of our, 3 points in 7 games, established first team players.

I don't follow the youth teams as I'd like to so I can sympathise on some levels. Kieran Burns, at the end of last season, although showing flashes of good skill and genuine enthusiasm, did look like a boy amongst men. Perhaps then, it is that McCall thinks the youth are just not physically strong enough to compete in what has become a bottom of the league dogfight? I don't buy that putting them in to a losing side is bad for morale. They are, whether in the team or not, part of the club and should be hurting at the top team's miserable record and aching to contribute. The manager and more senior players should be able to keep their spirits high, take any serious responsibilty off them and deflect harsh criticism.

It troubles me that on a five man subs' bench there is not at least one regular space for the best performing player from the youth ranks. Also, why not give the sub goalie spot to Sculley or Shepard instead of Hinchcliffe. I'm sure their benefit from the experience far outweighs the gamble of the rare occasion of throwing on an in-experienced keeper.

What's the story on McBeth? He featured quite prominantly in pre-season and I thought did ok. McGeough and Bannigan are two others who have had a sniff, not disgraced themselves and I think should at least be on the bench as a warning to the under-acheiving regulars.

Finally, if these guys really aren't ready for first team football I can beleive that but, the fans deserve a succinct explanation of why. Not fit and strong? Inexperienced? Not skillfull? Their names have been getting mentioned for a good while now. Maybe, as we sit bottom of the league missing out on 18 priceless points, it is time to throw them in at the deep end.

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

So was this claim just more bull from McCall? Does he think the squad of players for today's game is the best he has at the club?

Why not give them a go? At least they might show some ambition.

Playing devils advocate, in his 'defence', I think McCall has possibly addled his brain due to various liquids, and thus forgets what he has said in the past.

Alternatively, he is just a bullshitter.

Either, or both, are perfectly plausible to me.

Bannigan/ MacBeth should be ahead of Hodge every time. Hodge is a complete waster and never want to see him in a Jags shirt again.

McGeogh for Paton every time too.

^^^this^^^

Get McBeth, Bannigan, McGeough and Burns in the team alongside the ones who have shown some desire and ability like McNamara, Boyle, Flannigan and Doolan.

^^^and this^^^

Bannigan/ MacBeth should be ahead of Hodge every time. Hodge is a complete waster and never want to see him in a Jags shirt again.

McGeogh for Paton every time too.

Hodge sickens me in the same way Leigh Hinds did. How can a player go from a Premiership club and Scotland U21 international to the useless knob we are witnessing these days?

Hodge sickens me in the same way Leigh Hinds did. How can a player go from a Premiership club and Scotland U21 international to the useless knob we are witnessing these days?

The whole team, when in possession have a 'pass the buck' mentality. No one has the balls to do anything adventurous with the ball so they'll pass it to the guy next to him and hope he can do something with it.

Bryan Hodge is the epitome of this.

Edited by northernsoul

The whole team, when in possession have a 'pass the buck' mentality. No one has the balls to do anything adventurous with the ball so they'll pass it to the guy next to him and hope he can do something with it.

Bryan Hodge is the epitome of this.

And, dare I say it... the man he came in to replace was, in many respects, the only player who would stand up and be counted when everyone else used to pass the buck.