Refereeing Standards

jaggy

Not in a way excusing our last 3 performances but the refs in these games have been just appalling. They have no idea what’s going on and I honestly wonder if any of these guys have ever kicked a ball. 

Now I know I’m biased, but we seem to get so many decisions going against us. Todays ref was probably the worst of the 3 and a few things stuck out for me:

Shay Logan commits many fouls in the game, not even spoken to.

Clear foul on Turner in the box, despite the ref having a great view he gives nothing.

Megginson should get a 2nd yellow near the end for 3 attempts to foul Tiff ending in a blatant kick out at him. The ref helps him to his feet!

He seemed to continually get in the way of players in the middle of the park.

Finally the debacle at the end of the first half where it’s a clear corner but he awards a goal kick then his get out is to blow for half time. 

I think (and hope) he was just incompetent but I honestly wonder why the standard is so bad. Like most I just hope the ref plays fair for both teams but it hasn’t seemed that way recently.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Is it because if the 'top refs' are not refereeing a Premier league game they are now on VAR and all the leagues below the Premiership are left with the poorer refs.

As has already been said this does not excuse our recent very poor performances.

Collum still got 3 big decisions wrong with VAR assistance last week!

They should use recently retired refs for VAR instead of currently active refs.

1 hour ago, sabbath said:

Ah the last bastion of the hopeless. Blame the Ref.  

Read the first sentence in my original post, I’m not blaming refs for our bad performances. Steven McLean who is by no means a top ref managed the QP v Ayr game well on Friday night. The last 3 we’ve had have been shockers.

However if we get awarded a penalty when Turner is fouled with 11 v 11 and we score it’s a different game

Not giving that corner at the end of first half was perhaps the worst piece of inept refereeing and linesmanship I’ve seen in a long while .That and the blatant time wasting which finally merited a yellow close to the end when game was done and dusted .In saying that we were very much masters of our own destiny yesterday so no real qualms about final result .

12 hours ago, jaggy said:

Megginson should get a 2nd yellow near the end for 3 attempts to foul Tiff ending in a blatant kick out at him. The ref helps him to his feet!

Apologies for the selective quoting. Thought it was a booking offence and definitely not condoning the ref for not giving Megginson a second yellow. A pair of us thought he was about to do so but reneged when he knew it would be his second. If so he was misusing his judgement, something consistent with his refereeing performance yesterday.

A part of me harkens back to a time when refs were loath to award a second booking so late in the game. As long as they officiated with consistency it was understandable. A quick look at the fixture list and Megginson would've missed his club's game v Dundee. So in a way we'd have been punished as well. Point I'm trying to make is as long as the ref is consistent with his treatment of both sides I'm less worried about him sticking rigidly to the rulebook. Some to their credit show a bit of latitude to help the game flow. Other refs appear hell bent on stopping a game at all costs. Literally spoilsports. Generalising and not excusing yesterday's incompetent referee. Tho' failing to send off Megginson is way down the list when it comes to yesterday's errors.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 2:17 AM, jaggy said:

Read the first sentence in my original post, I’m not blaming refs for our bad performances. Steven McLean who is by no means a top ref managed the QP v Ayr game well on Friday night. The last 3 we’ve had have been shockers.

However if we get awarded a penalty when Turner is fouled with 11 v 11 and we score it’s a different game

My point of view is the team we have should be well out of sight, and not reliant on match officials. I can see how the tottie munchers always moan and greet with the decisions against them, We're no different. I always like to watch the JHS linesman and it always reminds me off when watching the juniors as a boy, how the linesman or club official would walk about 5 yards either side of the halfway line and make his unbiased decision on the play. The top league is no different Its a pointless waste of time having linesmen when the ref from fifty or further makes the decision for them. The Ref or the pitch at the end of the day should not be used as an excuse.  

• Like 1