Opening Day

Jaggydave

5 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Not a bad start but they’ve made a few decent signings. Follow up with Airdrie away then QP at home so I’m happy with that

Good first quarter actually. Only distant away game is ICT in Oct which will probably change to the Fri night. Dunfermline & DU at home. 27 points for the taking 🤣

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Looked at Hampden events. Nothing scheduled for the Saturday. 

I see QP's home game v Ayr is also on a Fri night (22 Sept). No other clubs scheduled for a Friday ('cept Arbroath v Dundee Utd but that's the opening fixture) so no TV schedule out. QP games may end up being televised but looks another reason. 

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Friday 27th October at Queens Park. Live game then?

Title decider Friday May 3rd at Tannadice. 

SWNT are playing at Hampden the Tuesday after, so it will be to give maximum preparation pitch and advertising wise for that game. 

Edited by G SUS

5 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I see QP's home game v Ayr is also on a Fri night (22 Sept). No other clubs scheduled for a Friday ('cept Arbroath v Dundee Utd but that's the opening fixture) so no TV schedule out. QP games may end up being televised but looks another reason. 

SWNT are at home that following Tuesday too - so explains why both our and Ayr's game is on a Friday. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaggydave said:

At home v Raith Rovers. First 3 points sorted. 

No idea where you are getting this fro - we struggled against Raith in a number of games last season. They have signed some players that i would have been delighted to have in our squad- Jack Hamilton, Smith, Mullin, Borowski etc etc  Think they will be well challenging for top 4 this coming season

• Like 2

When you look at who we’re competing against, absolutely nothing to fear. 
We have the nucleus of a decent team, add a few players & some depth & we could have a great season. 
Remember, last season was pretty dire apart from the last few play off games. We needed change, we have it - Doolan’s season, think he’ll do us proud.

Sorry for going off at a tangent. I was only made aware through this thread that Queens Park are to play at Hampden in the coming season. However Hampden is not available to them until after 12 September, so what do they do before then?  Two League Cup games at Lesser Hampden (Elgin City and QOS) then the first 4 League games - 3 away and 1 at "home" to be played at Lesser Hampden against a team wth possibly, if not probably, the smallest travelling support in the division (Arbroath). Coincidence - I think not. Maybe the older I get, the more cynical I become.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, QXBoy said:

Sorry for going off at a tangent. I was only made aware through this thread that Queens Park are to play at Hampden in the coming season. However Hampden is not available to them until after 12 September, so what do they do before then?  Two League Cup games at Lesser Hampden (Elgin City and QOS) then the first 4 League games - 3 away and 1 at "home" to be played at Lesser Hampden against a team wth possibly, if not probably, the smallest travelling support in the division (Arbroath). Coincidence - I think not. Maybe the older I get, the more cynical I become.

I think there's recent precedence regarding arranging fixtures to suit a club that can't temporarily use its home ground for some reason or other. I doubt tho' (as in this case) there's precedence where the club can use its own ground because their adopted ground is unavailable. I know there's a rule(ha!) that says a club must use the one home ground for the full season. Looks to me that in fairness when Big Hampden isn't available QP should've been made to play at a neutral venue. 

This whole Haughey game plan re Lesser Hampden stinks. The ground, capacity wise, isn't suitable for our division never mind the top tier. Should be some law re ground suitability that states any club must be able to allow a minimum of visiting away fans. Setting that minimum say at 1500 sounds reasonable.

One thing, QXBoy I disagree with is your last sentence. Where the dealings of Doncaster/SPFL are concerned, I don't think you can any longer be "cynical". In terms of the way that lot run our game I doubt you can be realistic and cynical at the same time. :)

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

5 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

One thing, QXBoy I disagree with is your last sentence. Where the dealings of Doncaster/SPFL are concerned, I don't think you can any longer be "cynical". In terms of the way that lot run our game I doubt you can be realistic and cynical at the same time.

OK m'lady. Thanks for saying I'm not cynical, so for more realism, hows about the SFA/Lord Haughey tie-up?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I think there's recent precedence regarding arranging fixtures to suit a club that can't temporarily use its home ground for some reason or other. I doubt tho' (as in this case) there's precedence where the club can use its own ground because their adopted ground is unavailable. I know there's a rule(ha!) that says a club must use the one home ground for the full season. Looks to me that in fairness when Big Hampden isn't available QP should've been made to play at a neutral venue. 

This whole Haughey game plan re Lesser Hampden stinks. The ground, capacity wise, isn't suitable for our division never mind the top tier. Should be some law re ground suitability that states any club must be able to allow a minimum of visiting away fans. Setting that minimum say at 1500 sounds reasonable.

One thing, QXBoy I disagree with is your last sentence. Where the dealings of Doncaster/SPFL are concerned, I don't think you can any longer be "cynical". In terms of the way that lot run our game I doubt you can be realistic and cynical at the same time. :)

Was that the rule that ended up pushing Fort William out of the highland league? Forced to make ground repairs then denied the opportunity to play at home even when the repairs were made?

The whole of Scottish football stinks really, an old school boys club of the highest order and if your face fits or you're part of the glorious O.F. then you'll be fine.  Feeling slightly cynical this evening!