The League Table

The Devil's Point

I read the league table pretty much every day.

Part of my daily routine is to spend a few minutes in the bath in the morning calculating how many more points we need for safety, whether we can catch the team above us and so on.

Usually try and get a quick swatch online before bedtime too.

On a Sunday I will carefully study the same league table over and over again in different newspapers.

I particularly like this time of year because you can work out how many points your team needs for safety or whatever.

Maybe its just me :unsure:

I said pre-season that we would finish 4th, by November I thought there was no chance of that...now? Well I could be right, that's what it means for now but is it conceivable we can overhaul a 16 point gap? Nae chance, but hope is a necessity for a Jags fan.

Looking at the league table, we have only conceded 7 goals at home this season. Didn't Dunfermline score 4 of those 7? If so, that's quite a record considering the doom and gloom this season.

Edited to add: naw they didnt, I was thinking of last season.

Edited by Steven H

Top 4 has to be the target, to be seeded in next seasons League Cup & also go straight into the 4th round of the Scottish Cup. I didn't think we would do it after our bad start, but it's between us & Dungdee I would say. Surely Dungdee are sure to pick up some injuries or suspensions (even fatigue) over the coming games, so hopefully we can cement 4th & move after Falkirk in 3rd. Oh if we had started the season better...we would be right in there for top spot!

Looking at the league table, we have only conceded 7 goals at home this season. Didn't Dunfermline score 4 of those 7? If so, that's quite a record considering the doom and gloom this season.

Edited to add: naw they didnt, I was thinking of last season.

Pretty sure Dunfermline scored 4 at Firhill last season. This season it's been 0-2 Dunfermline, 1-2 Stirling Albion, 1-1 Ross County, 6-1 Stirling Albion, 3-1 QOTS.

Top 4 has to be the target, to be seeded in next seasons League Cup & also go straight into the 4th round of the Scottish Cup. I didn't think we would do it after our bad start, but it's between us & Dungdee I would say. Surely Dungdee are sure to pick up some injuries or suspensions (even fatigue) over the coming games, so hopefully we can cement 4th & move after Falkirk in 3rd. Oh if we had started the season better...we would be right in there for top spot!

We'll only draw a First Division side in the League Cup and Scottish Cup anyway. Probably the same team that we'll draw in our second Challenge Cup game.

I wouldn't rule out Morton for 4th (they're on a reasonable run), but I think Dundee will get it they haven't lost in the league since the 25th of September which was before they entered administration.

hopefully the table will look a bit better after the next 3 games, falkirk cowdenbeath and stirling. anything less than 10 points from the next 3 games will be a disaster! would take a draw midweek and we must beat cowdenbeath and stirling!

So if we win them all it will be disaster?? :huh:

Have to say though, if we can get more than 3 points per game we could yet win this league.

:P

Would be good to hear where we all think we will end up come the end of the season. Same question was asked at the start of the season and those of us who dared to say 5th or better, were generally shot down by those who saw a season of nothing but just trying to stay out of the bottom two.

I stated we'd finish in top 5 and remember some of the stick i took for it. Sure a couple who thought better than that got same stick.

Now, I'm not saying i'm going to be right, or the guys were right or wrong to have a go at us who thought relegation would not happen this season. Just think now would be a good time for us all to take stock and have a rethink as to where we think we'll end up.

For the record I'm sticking with staying in top 5. Haven't see us play since that horrible day at stirling but it sounds like the lads are showing a togetherness and desire that was lacking at the start of the season. Long may it continue.

I read the league table pretty much every day.

Part of my daily routine is to spend a few minutes in the bath in the morning calculating how many more points we need for safety, whether we can catch the team above us and so on.

Usually try and get a quick swatch online before bedtime too.

On a Sunday I will carefully study the same league table over and over again in different newspapers.

I particularly like this time of year because you can work out how many points your team needs for safety or whatever.

Maybe its just me :unsure:

Just a random question: Is there water in the bath when you do that?

Is that a fancy name for a rabbit? Sorry, can't be bothered googling it :P

Just my alias ... my fancy name is Oryctolagus cuniculus ... but I've come down in the world since the old days - just buried myself out of the way these days.

BTW who's my favourite Thistle player of all time?

Just my alias ... my fancy name is Oryctolagus cuniculus ... but I've come down in the world since the old days - just buried myself out of the way these days.

BTW who's my favourite Thistle player of all time?

Not sure about players, but Lambie wasn't only known for his signings.

He was equally famous for his droppings.