Pay At The The Gate Prices Increase

northernsoul

Yet again the pay at the gate prices are on the increase. Now if this maybe a ploy to encourage folk to purchase season tickets instead, then I can understand that.

In my opinion though, I think it will backfire and attendances might be down a wee bit. Thee were folk on .net who said that even the increase to £16 made them think twice before attending.

If it is increased (assuming and hoping) to £17, then a day spent in the pub watching the scores come in seems like a more attractive option.

One thing for sure is though, £16 let alone whatever the new price will be is far too much money to watch 1st division football.

Edited by northernsoul

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet again the pay at the gate prices are on the increase. Now if this maybe a ploy to encourage folk to purchase season tickets instead, then I can understand that.

In my opinion though, I think it will backfire and attendances might be down a wee bit. Thee were folk on .net who said that even the increase to £16 made them think twice before attending.

If it is increased (assuming and hoping) to £17, then a day spent in the pub watching the scores come in seems like a more attractive option.

One thing for sure is though, £16 let alone whatever the new price will be is far too much money to watch 1st division football.

Where have you heard this? Season tickets have stayed the same so I expected the pay at the gate price to stay the same too.

That is ridiculous, £15 was too much, £16 was taking the Michael a bit but if it costs £17 that’s way too much, people will round that up to a score in their heads and who can’t find something better to do with that? When the games start to mean virtually nothing towards the end of the season this will be the tipping point that makes people say NAW.

you can pay $10Aus to watch south africa v australia one day international cricket, that entertains you for the whole day (11am-6pm) with the world's best players at 100,000 seater melbourne cricket ground.

but...

you have to pay $34Aus to watch very questionable 'professional' football, in the second tier down of an already terrible footballing league setup, in a 3 sided, atmosphereless, bin of a stadium.

Where have you heard this? Season tickets have stayed the same so I expected the pay at the gate price to stay the same too.

The season ticket letter sent to me today by Eddie Prentice.

"Season ticket sales are the lifeblood of our club. Next season we have held the prices of our season tickets at last season's rate although pay at the gate prices are increasing. Buying a season ticket offers a great saving and there are other benefits such as discount vouchers and three month's free match day TV highlights package."

you can pay $10Aus to watch south africa v australia one day international cricket, that entertains you for the whole day (11am-6pm) with the world's best players at 100,000 seater melbourne cricket ground.

but...

you have to pay $34Aus to watch very questionable 'professional' football, in the second tier down of an already terrible footballing league setup, in a 3 sided, atmosphereless, bin of a stadium.

Is access to sport for all or something similar not written into the Aussie constitution, not only does that mean you have access to participate (eg the amount of well maintained free outdoor pools there is ridiculous) but it also keeps the price of tickets for sporting events down?

I remember getting tickets to big Aussie Rules games and rugby league games for buttons, less than $15. Tickets for the penultimate days track and field at the Commonwealth games wasn’t much more. That’s for top level sport in excellent surroundings, not second rate amtuer-esque no hopers in terrible grounds. Oh and you can have a laugh and get a beer at all the sporting events over there, unlike here where you get some steward making the 90 minutes you have paid over the odds for as miserable an experience as possible.

"Season ticket sales are the lifeblood of our club. Next season we have held the prices of our season tickets at last season's rate although pay at the gate prices are increasing. Buying a season ticket offers a great saving and there are other benefits such as discount vouchers and three month's free match day TV highlights package."

Sorry to go off topic, but what? Whilst I'm very glad that a pay-to-view highlights package is being set up (it can be a very useful revenue stream), I would have thought that having a season ticket should entitle you to see the whole season's highlights, no? Also, knowing how much 3 months/1 season worth of highlights was to purchase without owning a season ticket would help people decide whether this was a factor in purchasing their season ticket.

I know that for people considering buying a ST book, the highlights package isn't of utmost importance as they will be at most games, but it is important to me and I really hope the club get it right.

Is access to sport for all or something similar not written into the Aussie constitution, not only does that mean you have access to participate (eg the amount of well maintained free outdoor pools there is ridiculous) but it also keeps the price of tickets for sporting events down?

I remember getting tickets to big Aussie Rules games and rugby league games for buttons, less than $15. Tickets for the penultimate days track and field at the Commonwealth games wasn’t much more. That’s for top level sport in excellent surroundings, not second rate amtuer-esque no hopers in terrible grounds. Oh and you can have a laugh and get a beer at all the sporting events over there, unlike here where you get some steward making the 90 minutes you have paid over the odds for as miserable an experience as possible.

^^ :thumbsup2:

In addition:

"Please note that if you wish to pay by standing order due to time constraints the second and third instalments will be required by the 15th of June and July and not the 21st, as stated in the enclosed flier."

The same flier that was handed out to fans at the last home game.

So the dates are wrong on the flier handed out to potential new season ticket holders, and only the current season ticket holders know about this.

Won't put me off tbh..its only a bin lid and even if stayed at £16 that isnt value for money nor is £15 or £14.

Value for money is not something that is associated with Scottish Football and has been like this for a number of years now!

Still kids for free is good, Might even take my youngest to her first jags game next season :D

I've never batted an eyelid at price increases but enough's enough. If they are gonna put it up by a pound each year we're gonna be hitting the £20 before we know it. Feck that, I'm not paying a score to watch first divison football and I will be seriously picking and choosing my games at £17 a pop.

Edited by Vom Itorium

Ah, I got the letter too but didnt read it. An extra nugget a game might not seem much to some but is it really what we want to do in a time when we need to encourage as many people to attend as possible? I have my doubts!

In addition:

"Please note that if you wish to pay by standing order due to time constraints the second and third instalments will be required by the 15th of June and July and not the 21st, as stated in the enclosed flier."

So the dates are wrong on the flier handed out to potential new season ticket holders, and only the current season ticket holders know about this.

Dare I say it? No I won't, but its no surprise this hasnt gone smoothly.

Sorry to go off topic, but what? Whilst I'm very glad that a pay-to-view highlights package is being set up (it can be a very useful revenue stream), I would have thought that having a season ticket should entitle you to see the whole season's highlights, no? Also, knowing how much 3 months/1 season worth of highlights was to purchase without owning a season ticket would help people decide whether this was a factor in purchasing their season ticket.

I know that for people considering buying a ST book, the highlights package isn't of utmost importance as they will be at most games, but it is important to me and I really hope the club get it right.

Very valid points there twinny, in particular the bit I have bolded.

Many clear examples here of the board exercising lack of thought and forward-planning and not giving fans the full picture of what various packages and associated prices are to be on "offer" (or "demanded" if we wish to look at these from a slightly different perspective) in the coming season, to allow each individual Jags supporter make clear and well considered decisions relative to value-for-money and what suits their financial circumstances best.

In addition:

Yet again, another example of how badly the information stream from Firhill operates, one ballsup after another with our Board.

I despair, things could be so much better being a Jags supporter, but it seems our Directors are incapable of getting the Basics right, let alone the nitty-gritty of running our club professionaly and competently.

I so want to be a happy-clappy Jag, but while we as fans continue to let ourselves be treated like smelly brown poo, and these charlatan excuses of directors know they can get away with dropping more and more of the smelly brown poo on us, things will never change, and this great club will carry on it's downward spiral of diminishing fanbase, atmosphere, capita per head revenue generated from those who do attend games.

So many things wrong within the walls of Firhill, and until there is a complete overhaul of how the club is run and of those who "run" it, sadly this situation will never change (well, unless they drive us totally to the wall, and that, is entirely possible under this incompetent, self-serving, oxygen-stealing waste-of-space Board).

As for the actual pay-at-the-gate increase - unless Thistle have a stormer of a season, I can foresee this blowing up spectacularily in the faces of our board, and PATG will suffer an even bigger horrendous drop than in did in the second half of the last season.

No brains they have, has our "glorious leaders".

As someone who does not go to away games how would prices of £17 & £12 (assuming that is what they will be) compare with the other teams in this division?

I think Dundee were the only club to charge £17 last season (and no student gate IIRC). Are other clubs increasing their prices?

I think Dundee were the only club to charge £17 last season (and no student gate IIRC). Are other clubs increasing their prices?

Yeah only Dundee were £17 last season, I'm pretty sure St Johnstone were that the season before last. Livy always had a bad habit of charging a quid or two more than the rest as well.