The Firhill Office

potty trained

Over the last few years the Firhill office has seen it's self grow thin on the ground when it comes to staffing.

Stuart, Denis, Eddie and many others, either full time or part time, paid or volunteer have left, etc.

It's now at the stage where Partick Thistle has only one paid member of staff, Ami Small.

When Ami first started, I think it was as a volunteer, working full time beside 3 other full timers. After 18 months working for free, she was taken on, and has remained loyal to the cause. Loyal as those sftaff around her have never been replaced. Now to the point where she performs the roles once filled by 4 full timers. Probably on no more than minimum wage (St Johnstone recently advertised a similar position with a wage of 12k a year).

Money is at a premium at Firhill, and it is with that in mind, no other paid staff have been taken on and she has been left to basically run The Club herself.

It would seem strange that Maxi has been promoted to General Manager!

Where has this money magically come from to pay his increase in wage. He has filled a role that has never been advertised, that we have not budgeted for. A role that only came up when McCall left.

Now don't get me wrong, I've a lot of time for Maxi and apprecate the job Ami does. But as a fan, I think concerns should be raised about where this money is coming from?

Is it being paid for by a Director?

Is it coming out the next Managers wage?

Is it coming out next seasons player budget?

Was this position advertised internally? Surely it would make sense to promote the Press Officer & Marketing Executive to General Manager and advertise to fill Ami's position? Or maybe the Club realise no one would be as daft or committed to take on the running of the whole club for a pittance?

What makes Maxi qualified to be General Manager at The Club?

Incidentally, why isn't our Marketing Executive part of the Marketing Committe?

Why are we promoting and magicing up new roles in the Club, whilst David Beattie is on 3 weeks holiday?

See my Sig below... ;)

Looks like McCalls wage will be replaced by Maxwell and the rookie management team. One less wage on the bill as far as the club concerned. Not that I think it will benefit the football side of things at all.

Other than Tom Hughes comments on saturday at hospitality I have not seen or heard anything to suggest that Ian Maxwell is General Manager. I presume that until its on the Offical website we can only take Hughes comments with a pinch of salt.

I have been phoning every day for over a week now to book hospitality for the Morton game on Saturday. All I get is an answering machine giving me nine options, then tells me to look at the official site which tells me to phone them. Then all I get is an answering machine giving me nine options, then tells me to look at the official site which tells me to phone them. and so it goes on (Groundhog Day,part 2)

I don't know whether to go up to Firhill personally and see if their skills at opening doors are any better than they are at answering phones. or if I should just go to the Maryhill game instead.

Edited by joe the driver

I'm sure someone was brought in earlier this season in a general manager role. I'm positive it was announced anyway, during the time the boardroom/club were having a re-shuffle. What happened to him? Will try and find boardroom message, if only to convince me i'm not going mad.

I'm sure someone was brought in earlier this season in a general manager role. I'm positive it was announced anyway, during the time the boardroom/club were having a re-shuffle. What happened to him? Will try and find boardroom message, if only to convince me i'm not going mad.

Not a GM, but office help? GL&G employee.

Is that who you mean?

Is there any evidence that Tom Hughes still runs the club… no

There is lots of evidence he still fulfills duties similar to those you would expect a director to fulfill despite the 'resignation'.

After all this is the man who 'always wins'.

I have been phoning every day for over a week now to book hospitality for the Morton game on Saturday. All I get is an answering machine giving me nine options, then tells me to look at the official site which tells me to phone them. Then all I get is an answering machine giving me nine options, then tells me to look at the official site which tells me to phone them. and so it goes on (Groundhog Day,part 2)

I don't know whether to go up to Firhill personally and see if their skills at opening doors are any better than they are at answering phones. or if I should just go to the Maryhill game instead.

I think mate you may have to end up going up to Firhill and paying it there. Have you sent any emails as well as phoning? If you have I take it you haven't had any response?

After reading the Record i was just coming on to start a similar thread.

Why oh why are PTFC bending over backwards to give Maxwell a job??? he would have been off with Mccall at the drop of a hat...if McCalls new job(when it is announced) had needed an assistant.

A general manager for what??? a club on its a rse..pulling in 2K punters a week..surely to christ a club with no money would get the board to do whatever general managerial duties are required??? or is that just common sense.

Whilst I am at FFS close the away stand..total waste of money..stewarding,policing and catering :mad2:

I don't like this, and I hope I'm wrong but I think this could have the makings of a nightmare.

I don't want to see the club filled with young guys who are cutting their teeth at coaching etc and would take any management job going so they can get on the 'ladder'. I have a bad feeling about it.

Putting a young manager (Jackie Mac) in place is one thing, assisted by another young would-be coach in Sid, another coach (Cammy), and an inexperienced assistant manager now doing a General Managers job.

In the position we find ourselves, consolidated in the First Division for the moment, I'd like an experienced manager who will run the club from top to bottom, or at least appoint his own people for the tasks required.

We are not big club which has huge commercial dealings etc and requires a General Manager. We are Partick Thistle and I fear the worst here.

I don't like this, and I hope I'm wrong but I think this could have the makings of a nightmare.

I don't want to see the club filled with young guys who are cutting their teeth at coaching etc and would take any management job going so they can get on the 'ladder'. I have a bad feeling about it.

Putting a young manager (Jackie Mac) in place is one thing, assisted by another young would-be coach in Sid, another coach (Cammy), and an inexperienced assistant manager now doing a General Managers job.

In the position we find ourselves, consolidated in the First Division for the moment, I'd like an experienced manager who will run the club from top to bottom, or at least appoint his own people for the tasks required.

We are not big club which has huge commercial dealings etc and requires a General Manager. We are Partick Thistle and I fear the worst here.

agreed i should have added this in my post

After reading the Record i was just coming on to start a similar thread.

Why oh why are PTFC bending over backwards to give Maxwell a job??? he would have been off with Mccall at the drop of a hat...if McCalls new job(when it is announced) had needed an assistant.

A general manager for what??? a club on its a rse..pulling in 2K punters a week..surely to christ a club with no money would get the board to do whatever general managerial duties are required??? or is that just common sense.

Whilst I am at FFS close the away stand..total waste of money..stewarding,policing and catering :mad2:

Let's take a breather here. We don't know what the job entails, but it's clearly something other than football management. Something to do with generating funds, perhaps? In other words, something that we on this forum are always harping on about, but something which demands a hell of a lot of time and energy, maybe more than anybody could do in their "spare time"?

And make no mistake about it, if McNamara had been offered a better job elsewhere he'd have gone at the drop of a hat too.

The away stand comment is reasonable. But let's go all the way: recent crowds at Firhill wouldn't even fill the away stand, so there's money to be saved there by closing the JH stand entirely.

Edited to add: Why not share with Ashfield?

Edited by Jaggernaut

When the money is drying up at the gates and attendances are dropping throughout the leagues we have to find money from somewhere. The commercial side of our club has been pathetic for decades. We've had the odd burst of improvment here and there but it usually ends up with the one step forward, two steps back scenario rearing it's ugly head every time. I reckon having someone on charge of non-footballing affairs who has a good grasp of the game and a bit of business clout is a something that in this day in age can only benefit us. Ami can't be expected to do it all, even though she does seem to give everything her all.

I wish Maxi well if he chooses to take up this role and if it is to be Jaggy Mac who gets the team manager gig then continuity could very well be the best thing for us as we stand at the minute. They both know the players, know the youths and who has the potential and there'll be no new man coming in wanting to make his mark, which we simply can't afford anyway when we have a lot of the players under contract for next season already.

Is there any evidence that Tom Hughes still runs the club… no

Open your eyes Alan

The evidence is everywhere. Hughes masterminded the exit of Jim Alexander and he is still in charge of every financial decision at the club. Not one penny goes out the door without his say so.

Tom Hughes still runs the club and that is why the club continues to deteriorate on a daily basis.

We cannot move forward as a club until Tom Hughes is gone. Sadly, I now believe that when Tom Hughes leaves he will be closing the door at Firhill forever.

Maybe i'm being unfair to Ian Maxwell as I don't know what qualifications he has but surely if his role is now going to be a more administrative role would it not make more sense to employ someone who has experience in such a role. It just seems to be that if someone hangs around Firhill long enough that makes them qualified for any job.

Maybe if we actually employed people with the correct background, qualifications and experience then the club would be run on a more professional basis.

Maybe i'm being unfair to Ian Maxwell as I don't know what qualifications he has but surely if his role is now going to be a more administrative role would it not make more sense to employ someone who has experience in such a role. It just seems to be that if someone hangs around Firhill long enough that makes them qualified for any job.

Maybe if we actually employed people with the correct background, qualifications and experience then the club would be run on a more professional basis.

Which would require a wage to match. I'm guessing Maxi isn't getting a King's ransome for this.