Interview With Jackie

Fawlty Towers

:borat::ptfc: Good read, I liked the charity walk idea "By the time the group of players and friends leave for Ecuador on 11 May for a ten-day trek that will see them scale five volcanoes en-route to the peak of Mount Cotopaxi for charity, McNamara hopes to have done enough to convince the Thistle board that he deserves an extended run."

Think its British Heart Foundation, maybe we can organise a bucket at Rovers game, might persuade him to stay as well as being a good cause.

I reckon he will do his best for Thistle while he is here and has made promising remarks regarding developing young players which willbe our main source of players for the foreseeable future.

Jaggy Macs Red n Yella Army

Ill be honest, despite yesterdays good showing, im still not overly keen on Jackie landing the job on a FT basis. If he does though, he will obviously have my full support and i would be delighted to be proved wrong about him.

One concern I have is that both he and Sid are too similar in approach. It was his comment about Brian Clough the got me thinking. Clough had Peter Taylor and Lambie had Gerry Collins - Is Sid too much like Jackie? Does he really offer anything different?

Jackie's had a very distinguished career in the game. I really don't see his managerial ambitions ending with us, quite the opposite; I see us as being the first stop in a successful hot seat future for him. I want to look back on the McNamara years as a good and happy period in the club's history.

I could of course be completely wrong, but I just have this feeling that things will continue to improve under Mac the Jag.

Jackie's had a very distinguished career in the game. I really don't see his managerial ambitions ending with us, quite the opposite; I see us as being the first stop in a successful hot seat future for him. I want to look back on the McNamara years as a good and happy period in the club's history.

I could of course be completely wrong, but I just have this feeling that things will continue to improve under Mac the Jag.

The way I see it too, I'm confident that he'll do a good job. He seems to be highly rated, & is certainly highly respected, also seems to have some good contacts in the game.

He wants to be a manager, so he really needs to do well with us to make it. He'll find it really hard to get a better job than us if he doesn't do well.

with us its a decent job to start off in, its a sort of a make or break the beginnings of a career. With thistle there are high expecations from the fans, but with limited resources the team needs to work solid from the beginning of the season to the end. so the board, if they make jackie the manager, which they probably will due to finances, will be looking for a top half of the table finish.

So the benefits of jackie being the manager are

Jackies determined to be a good manager and wants to have a good career.

He wants the job.

he has a good reputation and alot of contacts (i dont know maybe we could get larsson for a few games lol).

it frees up a wage rather than spending money on a manager that will no doubtedly have no passion for the club.

Jackie is glasgow born and could well make thistle his own team.

When was the last time we played a 4-3-3

Hes really motivated in bringing the youth through.

he is a fan favourite

The downsides are.

hes not experienced enough.

he has that nice guy attitude which might not cut it.

i cant think of anymore.

Please add if anyone can think of any lol

Regardless though he has to finish this season well to determine his future at the club

so a win against dundee i can see the board giving him the job regardless of the following results

Personally i hope he does well.

Big article in the NOTW yesterday as well, where he said that if he got the job he will be using his multitude of contacts in the game, mostly from his time at Celtic, to call in "a few favours" with regards to getting players in. My info still tells me that he aint a shoe in for the job, and as much as I hate seeing managers cutting their teeth at our club, I reckon he might do a pretty good job....time will tell

Further Jackie patter here.... John Sullivan isn't even in his grave :unsure:

Meanwhile Maxie has evidently been confirmed as GM.... HERE.

Personally I thought wearing his interview suit to the game on Saturday was a bit OTT. :)

Maxie's role now confirmed on official site

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

All the arguments in favour of McNamara were made at the time we appointed Britton and Whyte. Articulate, good contacts, international experience etc. I think we will go with McNamara, probably with Donnely alongside him, but I have no reason to believe he will be successful. He's completely untested as a manager - obviously every manager has to start somewhere, but he would still be a considerable risk, and one that we have no history of success with. I have nothing against him personally, but I think we should be careful before ratcheting up expectations.

I would also think Donnelly could be a problem - he's not exactly popular with the fans, and could become a target if things begin to go wrong. Financially it might not be feasible, but I'd prefer an experienced assistant to McNamara.

I don't know if McNamara will be any good, because I once played him at Fifa and beat him. Does this mean I should apply for the job? :rolleyes:

But seriously, many clubs these days, both north and south of the border, seem to appoint inexperienced untried managers. Just look at our league, the likes of Jim McIntyre at Dunfermline, John Mcglynn at Raith, Kenny Brannigan at QOS and Barry Smith at Dundee are all in their first managerial posts and yet they have all done very well. And look at Hereford in League Two, they appointed the club physio as their manager and even he has done a good job! So why is it when we take a risk on people who have never managed a club before such as GC and Whyte & Britton, does it always fail spectacularly?

I am not that keen on going down the untried manager route again because of our past failures, but if Jackie does get the job I obviously hope that it does work out. But if it does work out its about time that we have success with an inexperienced manager because it seems to work out for so many other teams.

I don't know if McNamara will be any good, because I once played him at Fifa and beat him. Does this mean I should apply for the job? :rolleyes:

But seriously, many clubs these days, both north and south of the border, seem to appoint inexperienced untried managers. Just look at our league, the likes of Jim McIntyre at Dunfermline, John Mcglynn at Raith, Kenny Brannigan at QOS and Barry Smith at Dundee are all in their first managerial posts and yet they have all done very well. And look at Hereford in League Two, they appointed the club physio as their manager and even he has done a good job! So why is it when we take a risk on people who have never managed a club before such as GC and Whyte & Britton, does it always fail spectacularly?

I am not that keen on going down the untried manager route again because of our past failures, but if Jackie does get the job I obviously hope that it does work out. But if it does work out its about time that we have success with an inexperienced manager because it seems to work out for so many other teams.

Don't forget that the first time we went down the route of a totally inexperienced manager was Dave McParland, who'd just hung up his boots.

Result?: Spectacular success!

A decent interview with Jackie on the glaswegian today where he seems tp confirm he won;t be playing again ... Jackie vid I can't help but think he might have hung up the boots maybe a year too soon, player/manager must have been an option?

I'd have thought he'd continue, as we may need him if we suffer another injury crisis next year. He managed to not play himself despite us only having three fit midfielders recently (not including him or Donnelly), and has said he doesn't want to play and manage. Perhaps he feels he'd be too focussed on his own performance as a player and would miss things he wouldn't miss if he was in the dugout.