• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The priorities will be

1. Replacements Boyle and Robertson if they don't re-sign
  2. Creative midfielder as it appears that Hodge who could be going too
  3. Central defender if we can't get Balatoni back
  4. Right-winger even Flannigan gets a new deal
  5. Proven goalscoring striker if the budget stretches that far

Tommy Stewart appears to be Jackie's choice as the fourth striker. Third Lanark will be yelling for Pat Clarke, a good shout. However, I would love us to sign Rory McAllister but he's probably going to the SLP for a decent fee.

A possible replacement for could be Willie Kinniburgh's brother Steve who has only made 10 league appearances for Oxford United this season - http://www.oufc.co.u...rofilesDetail/0,,10342~33498,00.html.

Gregory Tade, who has been released by Raith Rovers, would a great signing but I suspect that he is going to the SPL too. Just image a Jags team with Tade and Erskine!

Edited by kni

He was the only player on the pitch today that had anything even resembling a first touch. Even Chaplain's had deserted him.

Just beifore Rovers scored, Longworth beat about 4 guys and got through on the keeper only to find the ball stuck underneath his feet. 30 seconds later, they were one down.

John Gemmill (remember him?) got both their goals.

Edited by GrantB

He was the only player on the pitch today that had anything even resembling a first touch. Even Chaplain's had deserted him.

Just beifore Rovers scored, Longworth beat about 4 guys and got through on the keeper only to find the ball stuck underneath his feet. 30 seconds later, they were one down.

John Gemmill (remember him?) got both their goals.

Should we sign John Gemmill?

It was tongue-in-cheek. Just making the point that I don't think we should be looking to sign Longworth on the basis of a Division 3 goalscoring record.

I'm well aware of what you meant. Based on the only time I've ever seen the guy, he was a total standout on a challenging pitch.

Assuming both Hodge and Boyle are leaving we need at least one genuine left sided defensive player. If we only sign one he has to be primarily a full back of course but ideally also versatile. I don't think this is going to be easy and it's possible Boyle won't sign with another club for a couple months. So if we don't give up on re-signing him finding a replacement could be very last minute.

Re-signing Rowson and to a lesser extent Stewart have to be the next priorities. I would hope that in either case getting decisions won't drag on.

What's the script with Ryan Conroy? He's no world-beater but he'd do a job. He must be out of contract at Darkheap now.

If we sign all of last season's players JM is in talks with except Boyle, then we're probably a left back, a centre half and a striker away from the squad being complete. Hopefully Jaggy is better with loans than the last manager.

With the assumption that Boyle does leave can anyone who watches the reserves or under 19s on a regular basis tell me who plays left back for them and would they be able to step up to the first team if given a good pre season and the opportunity?

Think the lad's name is Baxter*. If that's him he has tremendous attitude and in that respect reminds me of Big Boab. I'd be surprised if he steps up. I've seen another lad Pierce(?)* as well but never looked as accomplished as McGeough on the other flank. Also seen McGeough play left back for 45 mins and he looks like he would, if we re-sign him, be alright as cover in an emergency.

In answer to your question I don't think we have a younger player in waiting for that position.

* got a feeling I might have got a name wrong. :unsure:

I think Gavin Swankie could be an excellent addition to the squad and he is desperate to return to full time football and cant have been on very much at Arbroath. Him and McMenamin would complete our attack and shouldnt cost that much

I think Gavin Swankie could be an excellent addition to the squad and he is desperate to return to full time football and cant have been on very much at Arbroath. Him and McMenamin would complete our attack and shouldnt cost that much

Good shout. I remember that there was some talk of us being interested in him a few years ago, but it came to nothing. Been knocking them in for Arbroath this season, so I guess they would like to hold on to him now that they've been promoted to Division 2.