Football Attendances

Jaggernaut

Hibs vs. 'Tic, opening match of new SPL, glorious sunshine.

Crowd: 12,500

Surely 20 years ago this would have been more like 30,000. But I guess those days have gone for ever.

Hibs are rubbish at the moment and have had a poor preseason with problems about their will-he-won't-he stay manager.

In these days of live TV a lot of fans preefr to sit and watch the game in the pub. Even when it's not on live, it's killed the habit for many. That's why the OF don't usually bring the kind of crowds they used to (in terms of numebrs that is).

Sunday at 12.30, live on the telly plus £28 for an adult and £17 for a wean tells it's own story!!

Honestly, £28 to go and watch that dross, you'd have to be utterly insane and were we to get to the promised land and even try and bring in prices like that you wouldn't see me for dust.

Sunday at 12.30, live on the telly plus £28 for an adult and £17 for a wean tells it's own story!!

Honestly, £28 to go and watch that dross, you'd have to be utterly insane and were we to get to the promised land and even try and bring in prices like that you wouldn't see me for dust.

Don't usually go along with much Tam Cowan says but I found myself in total agreement with his slagging of Craig Burley. Evidently the semi-literate Mr Burley was co-commenting on an SPL match involving Hamilton. Despite the game being televised, kicking off at some ridiculous hour, possibly the fourth time the two teams had played that season, Burley still managed to turn his attention to the Hamilton support and decry them for turning up in such poor numbers.

Don't usually go along with much Tam Cowan says but I found myself in total agreement with his slagging of Craig Burley. Evidently the semi-literate Mr Burley was co-commenting on an SPL match involving Hamilton. Despite the game being televised, kicking off at some ridiculous hour, possibly the fourth time the two teams had played that season, Burley still managed to turn his attention to the Hamilton support and decry them for turning up in such poor numbers.

I've heard him doing that a few times. I'm sure he parts with his £28 to get in when he fancies taking in a game and isn't working...

The early start to the SPL season will have affected Saturday's attendances. A lot of people are still on holiday or have other plans for sunny and warm Saturdays in July.

Given that we are apparently in the midst of the biggest recession of all time - you know, the one that has been caused by local authority, NHS and government workers, I think money is going to be tight all round and this will impact on teams in all divisions. Unless steps are urgently taken to make games more affordable then I can see gates being down over the next season and probably a few teams going to the wall. In my view, come this time next year there will probably be fewer teams playing full-time football; which will probably impact on standards in the top two divisions.

From something I read in one of the Sundays, the German's faced up to this some time back, dropped prices, put family-friendly packages in place, reintroduce standing and singing areas etc. And guess what, it worked! Crowds are apparently up and with this goes improved standards on the pitch. But I guess the question is: Is Scotland ready to take such a bold step and would the two teams who run the show be willing to see a drop in their revenue stream?

On the plus side, maybe Airdrie might go out of business and find their level in the juniors. I'm convinced that their lovely fans would meet their match if they ever visited some of the junior hot-spots in Fife and deepest Ayrshire. But maybe that's me just taking things too far! :P

Given that we are apparently in the midst of the biggest recession of all time - you know, the one that has been caused by local authority, NHS and government workers, I think money is going to be tight all round and this will impact on teams in all divisions. Unless steps are urgently taken to make games more affordable then I can see gates being down over the next season and probably a few teams going to the wall. In my view, come this time next year there will probably be fewer teams playing full-time football; which will probably impact on standards in the top two divisions.

From something I read in one of the Sundays, the German's faced up to this some time back, dropped prices, put family-friendly packages in place, reintroduce standing and singing areas etc. And guess what, it worked! Crowds are apparently up and with this goes improved standards on the pitch. But I guess the question is: Is Scotland ready to take such a bold step and would the two teams who run the show be willing to see a drop in their revenue stream?

I am in the process of planning a wee trip to Berlin and plan to take in a game while I am there. Union Berlin (Berlin's equivalent of us) are at home the weekend I am thinking of going; they play in Germany's second tier. Adult tickets start at 10 Euros, with concessions for pensioners, students, the unemployed and even big, bad public sector workers ;). In addition, I expect to be able to stand and enjoy a beer, whilst watching at least an SPL standard of football.

The cost of attending football in this country is getting ridiculously expensive. I have been watching Dunfermline vs St Mirren tonight and there were only about 5,000 there - at their first game back in the SPL! Nae wonder though, it is probably extortionate to get in.

The good old days are good and gone. That's why they're good, because they're gone.

Lets face the truth Scottish football is miles behind English club football, i can't see it getting any better, who wants to pay high prices for poor football.

I recently watched a youtube clip about the ice hockey team Braehead Clan and was shocked to hear that the attendance for their ice hockey matches is around 2000, my god thats a minority sport from America, sometimes the attendance at Firhill matches is below 2000, Partick Thistle need to advertise more, especially the under 16s free, they should be advertising everywhere, schools, shopping centres, sports centres, cinemas etc, they need more young people coming through the gates at Firhill or attendances at Firhill will get worse and the future will be grim.

Lets face the truth Scottish football is miles behind English club football, i can't see it getting any better, who wants to pay high prices for poor football.

I recently watched a youtube clip about the ice hockey team Braehead Clan and was shocked to hear that the attendance for their ice hockey matches is around 2000, my god thats a minority sport from America, sometimes the attendance at Firhill matches is below 2000, Partick Thistle need to advertise more, especially the under 16s free, they should be advertising everywhere, schools, shopping centres, sports centres, cinemas etc, they need more young people coming through the gates at Firhill or attendances at Firhill will get worse and the future will be grim.

A lot of us have said we need to get in the faces of folk with the under 16 initiative almost on a continual basis. But there's a big difference between publicising and advertising. There's just no way given our frail cash flow that we can justify the cost of advertising especially when there's no obvious direct return on something as much of a slow burner as under 16s go free .

What the Club need to do is to continually bring the subject up in interviews, have an under 16s go free poster/banner as a back drop to any press conference/launch etc. The equivalent to product placement if you like.

Maybe we should follow Celtic's lead and advertise in religious newspapers? B)

I am in the process of planning a wee trip to Berlin and plan to take in a game while I am there. Union Berlin (Berlin's equivalent of us) are at home the weekend I am thinking of going; they play in Germany's second tier. Adult tickets start at 10 Euros, with concessions for pensioners, students, the unemployed and even big, bad public sector workers ;). In addition, I expect to be able to stand and enjoy a beer, whilst watching at least an SPL standard of football.

The cost of attending football in this country is getting ridiculously expensive. I have been watching Dunfermline vs St Mirren tonight and there were only about 5,000 there - at their first game back in the SPL! Nae wonder though, it is probably extortionate to get in.

I was in the Horseshoe last night and thought I'd watch it. I watched about 30 seconds, saw a totally empty stand behind the goal, and turned away. I didn't even see the penalty being gven tho I saw Gallacher save out the corner of my eye. One for supporters only. Who would want to watch that? I think we might need to go down further before we can go up as the way it is just now our game is fecked, totally. Without a crowd we might as well watch a park kickabout, or the Premiership. I'm bored with that too though. Perhaps in Tennants after Firhill over a couple of beers, otherwise MOTD highlights is more like my taste now.

Not good at al really. Overexposure.

Even more worrying is the attendance at our game - 1258.

Surely the club must lose money on an attendance like that? I'm guessing that this saturday won't be much better.

There is always the huge Berwick Rangers supporters, which will probably be less than 50 fans. :)

Even more worrying is the attendance at our game - 1258.

Surely the club must lose money on an attendance like that?

And a split gate at that.

That's why the Club will probably be happy to draw Hamilton away rather than at home. Without wanting to sound like Tom Hughes I'm guessing that any right thinking Div 1 club's objective in regard to the Challenge Cup is to get out of it losing the least amount of money.

• 1 month later...

Exactly what Ernie Walker and Jim Farry were saying all those years ago. Who listened? Fckn nobody!!! "Old duffers in blazers" they called them. "Bring in real businessmen" they said. Well, look how great that's been.

The late Alex Cameron said " TV would kill football" long before Farry and Walker ever did. Cant blame fans for not going do they spend £20+ going to game or watch it in pub or at home.

The late Alex Cameron said " TV would kill football" long before Farry and Walker ever did. Cant blame fans for not going do they spend £20+ going to game or watch it in pub or at home.

I had to travel into Glasgow by train yesterday morning. Then train to Livi. After the match, bus and train back to Stirling. That, plus the admission price, a Bovril and some crisps, a coffee at Queen Street, and I kissed goodbye to almost £60, and that was without a single pint passing my lips!

I had to travel into Glasgow by train yesterday morning. Then train to Livi. After the match, bus and train back to Stirling. That, plus the admission price, a Bovril and some crisps, a coffee at Queen Street, and I kissed goodbye to almost £60, and that was without a single pint passing my lips!

This is a huge part of the factor, that was you travelling yourself, say you had taken 2 kids to the game you'd be looking at close on £100 thats a huge lump of someones weekly wage before they pay their rent, food electricity etc. Then when the product on the park is poor, the weather is poor etc etc there is even more reason for people to stop going and thats before you look at the other alternatives for people/ families to do on a saturday night

St Johnstone vs. Hearts today: 2,770.

:o

Hypothetical time...

If I was a pay at the gate punter and we were in the SPL playing Hearts at home with a Sunday KO time of 12pm for a televised game I'm far from certain I'd go to the game. If the game was away from home I'd almost certainly give it a miss.

You've got to ask if you don't support either Hearts or St Johnstone (or I suppose maybe Hibs) would you go out your way to even watch this game on a TV? I can grudgingly see why an attendance can be sacrificed where TV is the winner. I can't see the point of televising a game where what I imagine so few would be bothered to watch.