Ptfc 1 Berwick R 3

Semi Nurainen

Yes they can, just both in the front 3 as against Celtic. Play them with either Stewart or Doolan as they're too similar and don't look like they'll be much of a partnership.

Agreed.either stewart or doolan up top not both.its been established on here that flannigan isnt a hard working midfielder,so why not send him out to the wing and see what he can do.I dont know if rowson could do all that running in every game.he would need young legs around him.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One for the stattos.....

Before yesterday when was the last time we were beaten in any of the three cup competitions by lower league opposition? I remember Albion Rovers knocked us out of one of the cups in the late nineties but can't mind any others since but think it must have happened more recent to that. :unsure:

One for the stattos.....

Before yesterday when was the last time we were beaten in any of the three cup competitions by lower league opposition? I remember Albion Rovers knocked us out of one of the cups in the late nineties but can't mind any others since but think it must have happened more recent to that. :unsure:

Albion Rovers Challenge Cup at Firhill in 2005.

Flannigan &Erskine, can't play together in the 4-3-3 formation, play one or the other

This.

Flannigan is taking some stick on here when he is not being played in his natural position as a winger or part of a front 3. Anyone who saw him last season shouldn't be surprised by his inability to tackle.

Erskine on the other hand has been utterly atrocious for the last 2 games. I'd drop him and play Flannigan alongside Doolan and Stewart.

As for yesterday, I would quite happily send Balatoni back to Hearts. Sold the shirts on numerous occasions yesterday (as did Kinniburgh). I'd rather play one of our own players than a loan guy who isn't up to the job.

Only pass marks I'd give out are to Sinclair, Rowser and possibly Cairney. The rest were embarassing. A total disgrace to the jerseys. I dread to think what we'll be like against a Dundee side that managed 4 away to a better side than Berwick.

Diddy cup anyway.

Problem is this diddy cup has the chance of making this club some money far more than the diddy cup we progressed a round through last week.

Yes I accept that the last couple of years we have made no money in it but if we had beaten Falkirk last year we would have played Hearts and made some, the year before if we had beaten Queen of the South we would have played Rangers and made quite a bit. The year before that we did play Rangers and did make some money.

I would prefer to still be in this cup than last weeks simply because the club does have some chance to make money, yes it is sad that we have to rely on a possibility of a good draw in this cup to make some money but unfortunately appears to be the only way as I just cant see any coming in to the playing budget from our directors.

Problem is this diddy cup has the chance of making this club some money far more than the diddy cup we progressed a round through last week.

Yes I accept that the last couple of years we have made no money in it but if we had beaten Falkirk last year we would have played Hearts and made some, the year before if we had beaten Queen of the South we would have played Rangers and made quite a bit. The year before that we did play Rangers and did make some money.

I would prefer to still be in this cup than last weeks simply because the club does have some chance to make money, yes it is sad that we have to rely on a possibility of a good draw in this cup to make some money but unfortunately appears to be the only way as I just cant see any coming in to the playing budget from our directors.

The club don't budget for any cup runs so all we have lost is the potential to make some money but it won't have a negative impact on the budget (although it would have been nice to get some additional money through a cup run).

This.

Flannigan is taking some stick on here when he is not being played in his natural position as a winger or part of a front 3. Anyone who saw him last season shouldn't be surprised by his inability to tackle.

Erskine on the other hand has been utterly atrocious for the last 2 games. I'd drop him and play Flannigan alongside Doolan and Stewart.

As for yesterday, I would quite happily send Balatoni back to Hearts. Sold the shirts on numerous occasions yesterday (as did Kinniburgh). I'd rather play one of our own players than a loan guy who isn't up to the job.

Only pass marks I'd give out are to Sinclair, Rowser and possibly Cairney. The rest were embarassing. A total disgrace to the jerseys. I dread to think what we'll be like against a Dundee side that managed 4 away to a better side than Berwick.

People need to realise the reality. It's the 2nd game into a long season. Better getting the bad results away quickly in a cup then having this happen in the league. I dont think anyone played well yesterday but you have to realise some of these boys are very young I.e Balatoni,Sinclair and will make mistakes. They won't turn a bad player over night but it's how they react to the mistakes which will make them a better player and I believe this result could be a blessing in disguise, don't think we will see something like that again.

They won't turn a bad player over night but it's how they react to the mistakes which will make them a better player and I believe this result could be a blessing in disguise, don't think we will see something like that again.

Oh yes we will!

But hopefully it won't be for a few months...

Funnily enough that’s what I thought, when you started the personal abuse – but actually I am brave in the flesh, I certainly wouldn’t be fazed by about a f@anny like you if that’s what you’re getting at. Still waiting to hear you retract your statement about only posting negative comments when we lose when, but again I won’t hold my breath waiting for your reality check.

Speaking about reality, this club has been in a vicious spiral of decline for almost a decade now, with the one false dawn (Bunter’s first season). Every cycle takes us further down, look at the duds we’ve had: GC, D&G, the Bunnet – Bunter was the exception, and he hopped the twig under circumstances that were never fully explained. Incidentally, I wonder if all the keyboard fantasists with ‘inside knowledge’ who had it on ‘good authority’ (what a bunch of fuds) said he was lined up for Falkirk, Rangers, Inter Milan (insert fantasy club of choice) have come on and admitted that they were talking p1sh – another instances of not delaying my respiration. Somebody mentioned the catering: from the same stable as the on-the-field fare – overpriced and sh1te, best part of two quid for a pie and over thirty bob for a cup of tea?

The latest bunch of duds have given us one p1sh result and one p1sh performance against poor opposition, and one absolute shocker against the bottom tier. Look at the players in the squad – most of them wouldn’t get a seat on the bench for the likes of Dundee, Falkirk, or Accies – and there are the same fantasists coming on here saying we have the look of the “71” side! Fcuk me, and that was before a ball was kicked – presumably after our excellent performances in the last two weeks, their optimism has grown to the extent that they think we’re probably better than the “71” side. Managerially and on the park, we have the look of the “04” side that the Bunnet took down to the second.

Wake up and smell the (outrageously expensive) Bovril.

You honestly think my critisism of you has been abusive...really, honestly you really have no idea do you?

Last season you started off in the same manner, telling all and sundry in your wonderfully constructive manner, how crap we are and how we'd get relegated. Then, when things started to improve, you were no where to be seen or heard...which to be fair wasn't really a bad thing.

Now your at it again at the start of this season, with the same constructive well thought out posts.

Well done you gave a couple of positive remarks last week......it clearly was a blip. Good to see your back to your ususal self.

I'll accept someone calling me sarcastic or argumentative on here to name but two things.....but NEVER abusive.

People need to realise the reality. It's the 2nd game into a long season. Better getting the bad results away quickly in a cup then having this happen in the league. I dont think anyone played well yesterday but you have to realise some of these boys are very young I.e Balatoni,Sinclair and will make mistakes. They won't turn a bad player over night but it's how they react to the mistakes which will make them a better player and I believe this result could be a blessing in disguise, don't think we will see something like that again.

We were beaten at home by a part time team two divisions below us. That is the reality we have to realise. Arguably our best player yesterday was a guy who last season played in the same division as Berwick.

I don't get the impression our squad is full of Billy Bigheads so I fail to see how our humbling yesterday could be seen as "a blessing in disguise". Also at this point in time I'd much rather we won yesterday and subsequently lost a league match.

I see myself as one of the more positive posters on here, certainly more of a happy clapper than a boo boy, but even putting the result apart yesterday's performance left serious questions about our team's effectiveness, resolution and even simple proficiency.

Compared to others I'm far from the first to overact to a defeat but at the same time I don't believe we can make any excuses either of age or experience for yesterday's dire showing. It's going to be a long hard week to get our players confidence restored whilst at the same time also cured of yesterday's failings.

Diddy cup anyway.

the same diddy cup that we constantly bang on about winning 40 years ago.

something that no-one's mentioned about yesterday's result is the impact its going to have on crowds. no matter what anyone says, positive early results are crucial for a club like us who are desperately in need of getting people through the door. i know a few people who were there yesterday on an air of optimism and who've slipped away over the last couple of seasons. they won't be back after that guff. others who were planning to make more trips back have been turned away again after that guff. i know lots of others who are failing to see the draw of shelling out money to watch guff. all this bollocks about letting us concentrate on the league is a joke. we'll be lucky if we avoid a play-off after that performance so we needed a cup run, even if it was just one more round. we need money. agree too with lady isobel's last post.

I posted this in the Flannigan new deal thread last month.

It seems that after yesterday and, especially how easily he was brushed off for the 2nd Berwick goal he needs to improve both his form and aspects of his game soon or the manager should drop him.

You can't afford to have a passenger in a midfield three.

That is it in a nutshell. I'm not usually overly critical of players but Flannigan's flaws have been apparent since he signed. We cannot afford passengers and unless it is drilled into him that he has to track back, he has to be strong and that he can't rely on Rowson to do all the hard work then there is no place for him in the formation we are setting out to play.

That is it in a nutshell. I'm not usually overly critical of players but Flannigan's flaws have been apparent since he signed. We cannot afford passengers and unless it is drilled into him that he has to track back, he has to be strong and that he can't rely on Rowson to do all the hard work then there is no place for him in the formation we are setting out to play.

I thought he showed signs of doing all that against Celtic, however it is very clear, from what I've read, that he has not done that in the last two matches against "lesser" opposition. Perhaps it's an attitude problem. Whatever it is I agree entirely that he must sort it out and it has to be drilled into him.

Jackie didn't mince his words after the match and I get the feeling the lads are in for a tough week. There simply has to be a positive reaction to Saturday's dismal result.

I think if the manager's determined to keep with the three up front then we'd better have an out and out defensive midfield player - maybe this Scott Robertson can do that though unfortunately that depends on how fit Archibald is by the weekend. We may be forced to play him at centre half.

If the next couple of results go against us I hope the manager won't be afraid/too stubborn to change to something more solid like 4-4-2 until we get back on the right track again.

Edited by Mr Bunny

• Members

I didn't think Flannigan was having a bad game up until his poor free kick indirectly led to Paton getting sent off. His head then started to go down and he was far too weak in the challenge out on the wing on Noble when he was one on one with him when Noble cut in to score the second. He was subbed soon after which was the correct decision at the time.

Jackie didn't mince his words after the match and I get the feeling the lads are in for a tough week. There simply has to be a positive reaction to Saturday's dismal result.

That's something I've been impressed with so far with McNamara. He doesn't deflect from what's happened on the park or try to bullshit us by claiming we missed "three or four great chances", sound familiar?

Every post match reaction (the games I've been to) has been spot on and if there were faults in the team, despite a win or a performance/result like the one on Saturday then he isn't afraid to criticize the team.

I’m not too down beat about what happened on Saturday, the thing I’m most disappointed about is being out of the League Cup. Even as an eternal summer time optimist I realise there is a fair chance come October we realistically could be out of the title race, that is simply what happens with 9 teams going for 1 promotion place. When that happens all you have to look forward to are the League Cup and Scottish Cup, we’ve thrown one of them away at the first (easy) hurdle.

I thought Sinclair was really really good on Saturday again, nobody else gets anything above average, most way way below.

Oh dear.

I'm stating the obvious but this result has cost us a couple of players now.

Wouldn't quite say that, say there's a crowd of 7,000 (which is a max, doubt there would have been that much as Hibs fans seem on abit of a downer) @ an average of £10. I'd say we're missing out on around £20k/£28k, which would still have been a handy sum to have got! Also could have been winnable, look at Ayr last season.