5G Artificial Surface

ian_mac

Quite a few actually - won the ball cleanly of course ;)

I understand what you're saying with regards to slide tackles but trust me the surface is superb.

with the advances in artificial turf the give on the surface is sometimes superior to natural turf. I've refereed on artificial turf (don't know the name of it) and I was apprehensive beforehand, but really enjoyed it (and no player had friction burns).

I agree that top leagues should re-examine and maybe allow it again.

with the advances in artificial turf the give on the surface is sometimes superior to natural turf. I've refereed on artificial turf (don't know the name of it) and I was apprehensive beforehand, but really enjoyed it (and no player had friction burns).

I agree that top leagues should re-examine and maybe allow it again.

Hmm, I might have to re-assess my assessment of this.

Played on this stuff last night for the first time. Have to say it's absolutely superb.

As these surafaces continue to get better and better, surely the time has come to think about introducing these pitches to the professional game at the highest level.

Said last year that if the ongoing enquiries into our game had any real foresight and ambition they would make the introduction of artificial pitches MANDATORY for all SFL games. The financial benifits to the clubs, the opening of the grounds to the wider community and the improved skill levels of our younger players would be huge. Not to mention the near certainty that cancellations would be reduced to almost nil thus allowing clubs to plan for matchday with certainty.

We should definitely have this for all kids football. As for sliding tackles how many Spanish players have you seen sliding?

Where did you play on the 5G turf? I have only played on 3G and like it. Checked out the 4G at Toryglen football but never got the chance to play.

Plenty.

Puyol, Pique, Ramos, and from times gone by Hierro, Nadal. They have had their fair share of dirty bas*tards. Seems to be that if a team is good at fitba, all their dirty work is forgotten.

Anyway, with regard to the pitch, if the ball bounces in a different manner to which it does on grass then it shouldn't be allowed for first team games.

Anyway, with regard to the pitch, if the ball bounces in a different manner to which it does on grass then it shouldn't be allowed for first team games.

Who's not to say that in years to come people will look back on grass pitches and think, what a nightmare, remember the way the ball would bounce on grass, it was a nightmare for goalkeepers through the winter when pitches were bare... midfielders hated it as a slight ackward bounce could have them making a late tackle on a player instead of connecting with the ball.

Thank goodness for artificial pitches, the ball always bounces where you expect it to.

The reduced injury rate thing is 100% true. Many NFL teams now use field turf as opposed to natural grass because of the reduced injury risk.

This is the way we need to go when the Warriors leave. Saves a fortune and opens up a whole new avenue of community and commercial opportunities.

Can I ask by the way where this 5G pitch is? I think 3G pitches are not too bad never mind 5G.

Who's not to say that in years to come people will look back on grass pitches and think, what a nightmare, remember the way the ball would bounce on grass, it was a nightmare for goalkeepers through the winter when pitches were bare... midfielders hated it as a slight ackward bounce could have them making a late tackle on a player instead of connecting with the ball.

Thank goodness for artificial pitches, the ball always bounces where you expect it to.

The danger with that reasoning is that it can be applied to any aspect of the game. Why not have goals that are 20' x 20', to get more goals scored? Typical score; 46-39. Remember in the old days when 3-2 was considered value for money?

The reduced injury rate thing is 100% true. Many NFL teams now use field turf as opposed to natural grass because of the reduced injury risk.

This is the way we need to go when the Warriors leave. Saves a fortune and opens up a whole new avenue of community and commercial opportunities.

Can I ask by the way where this 5G pitch is? I think 3G pitches are not too bad never mind 5G.

Could the reduced rate be because players hold back on some of the things they might do on a grass pitch? In other words, the game becomes less physically effortful?

There is no reason why we couldn't install an artificial surface while the Warriors are still here.

Yes but Firhill's artificial surface (like Scotstoun's) would have to be approved by FIFA and the IRB. The cost would be well into six figures.

But what will be the cost to re-lay, water, tend and maintain the pitch, not too mention undersoil heating costs every year, plus what we would save from not having to rent parks for our training or reserve or youth teams, add to that possible income from rentimg it out and it would probably pay for itself in a few years.

But knowing our luck we'd install it in august and have to rip it up following year when we got promotion

• 1 month later...