Tell Me This Is A Wind Up

Julie Ann

I had no intention of adding anything further to it, but I'm interested to know why it was closed. There was a 'good' debate going. Certainly something more interesting than previous 'pun threads' that have gone unmolested.

Is it down to the fact some of the posts where critical of the club and the coverage the initiative generated? If so, I think that's a ridiculous stance for an unofficial fans' forum to take.

People will disagree on things from time to time. This is a platform for discussion. Why is that being stifled? I could perhaps understand if things were getting too personal and/or abusive, but that didn't seem to be the case.

No it was a terrible thread.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no intention of adding anything further to it, but I'm interested to know why it was closed. There was a 'good' debate going. Certainly something more interesting than previous 'pun threads' that have gone unmolested.

Is it down to the fact some of the posts where critical of the club and the coverage the initiative generated? If so, I think that's a ridiculous stance for an unofficial fans' forum to take.

People will disagree on things from time to time. This is a platform for discussion. Why is that being stifled? I could perhaps understand if things were getting too personal and/or abusive, but that didn't seem to be the case.

To be fair it wasn't going anywhere. Those who didn't like it weren't budging (well one did) and those of us who supported the venture weren't for budging either.

Personally, though i contributed a great deal to it, i thought it was a thread that showed a section of the support in a bad light.

Can I point out that nowhere on the Rag Bag website is it indicated that that entity is a charity?

Happy to be corrected if Rag Bag is a charity. The newspaper article gives that impression.

Quite correct. It looked like a recycling inititiative that had been granted charitable status. That's something different to what most would understand as charitable and completely different to the Tops To Ghana drive that someone likened it to.

Edited by Dark Passenger

To be fair it wasn't going anywhere.

It wasn't allowed to 'go anywhere' because it was closed. There were others joining it who had their own take on the situation. And I'd argue that it didn't show the support in a bad light, at all. There may have been opinions that you disagreed with, but those opinions were backed with reason.

From what I can see it doesn't have charitable status. It has relations with a commercial recycling company called Nathans Wastesavers in Denny, which has charities as clients. It's a commercial relationship. Someone is making money from recycling clothes; if Thistle fans come up with a tonne, the club gets £400.

The Glaswegian article is wrong to suggest that 'charity begins at home'.

From what I can see it doesn't have charitable status. It has relations with a commercial recycling company called Nathans Wastesavers in Denny, which has charities as clients. It's a commercial relationship. Someone is making money from recycling clothes; if Thistle fans come up with a tonne, the club gets £400.

The Glaswegian article is wrong to suggest that 'charity begins at home'.

That's very interesting, thanks for pointing that out.

It wasn't allowed to 'go anywhere' because it was closed. There were others joining it who had their own take on the situation. And I'd argue that it didn't show the support in a bad light, at all. There may have been opinions that you disagreed with, but those opinions were backed with reason.

with comments like "Woosh" ?

Yeah there was plenty of reason.

The reasons for the club getting involved were lost on you on the original thread.....no point starting another.

Still, it did serve some purpose. You caught on to the fact that the thread was closed a damn sight quicker than you caught onto the fact the club were involved in the Rag Bag Scheme. ;)

Journalists, eh? :rolleyes: There's a bloody fortune to be had in recycling, as anyone of a certain age who remembers Flip will tell you. Auld claes from New Jersey, bought by the pound, shipped by the containerload and sold as 'authentic Americana' for a batsh*t mental mark-up.

Can I point out that nowhere on the Rag Bag website is it indicated that that entity is a charity?

Happy to be corrected if Rag Bag is a charity. The newspaper article gives that impression.

Didn't really want to get involved in the general debate about the nature of this scheme (it doesn't appeal to me as the best use of old garments etc when well-respected charities are regularly making collections, but obviously some people are thrilled with it so good luck to them), but this seems like quite an important point you make. The website seems pretty clear that this is a commercial enterprise, for the club and for this Rag Bag operation, and not a charity. There's no mention of how much good causes benefit from the totals collected. None of the scrutiny that comes from partnering with a registered charity. Disappointing.

Even if you like the look of the scheme, the launch has been a bit lacking in the PR stakes, to say the least.

probably not a bad idea. it might take away from the embarrassment of collecting jumble. certainly not the message coming from the meet the board night the other week. but hey, what's new? "we're fine, we're in the shite, we're fine, we're in the shite", etc, etc, etc. maybe we'll get emails coming soon from the nigerian prince that's just become a director

Why don't you take a few bags of your knickers that you have soiled on here up on Saturday? We would raise enough money to buy Messi.

I don't see you suggesting any better ways to raise money for the club. But any excuse to stick the knife in, eh?

You embarrassed yourself with your knickerwetting over Paul Paton's A-Z interview with The Sun and you've embarrassed yourself again here.

Let me get this straight: people are complaining that the club is collecting clothes for a charity and are likely to receive a 3 figure sum for helping them out?

No they are complaining about a piece in the Glaswegian that that didn't at all make the charity bit very obvious and made it out that it was an example of Thistle being desperate for cash. I thought someone made that clear by page 2 of this thread.

Edited by Mr Bunny

probably not a bad idea. it might take away from the embarrassment of collecting jumble. certainly not the message coming from the meet the board night the other week. but hey, what's new? "we're fine, we're in the shite, we're fine, we're in the shite", etc, etc, etc. maybe we'll get emails coming soon from the nigerian prince that's just become a director

Julie Ann -first let me state I think its a poor idea however I would be far from pleased with a supposed friendly newspaper who gets fed lots of stories as a Free Newspaper compared to the daily press for running what is obviously a stitch up headline -I would be choosing who I give exclusives to in future if I was the Club.

Notwithstanding the above which at worst can be described as a minor misjudgement in the grand scale of PTFC gaffes is pretty tame stuff ,lets face it not being able to pay HMRC half way through a Season and the Harkins /Twaddle sale bailing us out (Im sure that was in the budgets :thumbdown: ) or as confirmed by Mr Beattie at the EGM being weeks away from running out of cash only a couple of months into the Season ,now thats what I call embarrasing ,if you take the bother to read the article ,The Club doesnt say its cash strapped -the paper does so your statement regards our finances is at best misleading -of course we can always go back to Armaggedon Parts 1-6.

Edited by Jordanhill Jag

Julie Ann -first let me state I think its a poor idea however I would be far from pleased with a supposed friendly newspaper who gets fed lots of stories as a Free Newspaper compared to the daily press for running what is obviously a stitch up headline -I would be choosing who I give exclusives to in future if I was the Club.

Notwithstanding the above which at worst can be described as a minor misjudgement in the grand scale of PTFC gaffes is pretty tame stuff ,lets face it not being able to pay HMRC half way through a Season and the Harkins /Twaddle sale bailing us out (Im sure that was in the budgets :thumbdown: ) or as confirmed by Mr Beattie at the EGM being weeks away from running out of cash only a couple of months into the Season ,now thats what I call embarrasing ,if you take the bother to read the article ,The Club doesnt say its cash strapped -the paper does so your statement regards our finances is at best misleading -of course we can always go back to Armaggedon Parts 1-6.

jordanhill jag - first let me state that you're in a minority thinking its a poor idea if this thread is anything to go by. most fans on here think its a good idea and should be applauded. get your tin hat on because you'll be getting abused soon for daring to suggest it was anything but a good idea. at least you should if people on here are consistent.

what's become quite clear here and is still a lost in the minds of some is that this initiative is not a charitable one despite what was originally pedalled by those who leapt to the defence of the club last night. as mckennen has said, the collecting of clothes is clearly good business for the recycling sector, so good that they can afford to give away £400 for the privilege of collecting. but lets be clear for those who still don't compute - this isn't donating your old clothes to charity.

i don't understand why the glaswegian would 'stich up' the club. could it be that they didn't understand the story themselves?

and clearly my point hasn't come across regarding finances as i didn't say (or mean) the article did say we were cash strapped or that i thought we were or not. i don't have access to that kind of information except listening to the club's directors make a slick presentations about the finances of the club and how we are now in profit. to be honest, i've given up trying to follow what comes out of the club anymore. i can't make head nor tale of it. my original point and observation was a simple one. and that was simply to ask if we'd really fallen so far that we're collecting jumble to fundraise £400, not for charity as has been shown by others on this thread, but for the club.

I would urge anyone who has a problem with this venture that instead of old clothes they could maybe donate cash.

No doubt it will be more than welcome.

I'm sure it would, digger, but £400 for literally a "tonne of money" seems like a poor deal, even taking account of the current rate of inflation. This isn't Weimar Germany yet, you know.

jordanhill jag - first let me state that you're in a minority thinking its a poor idea if this thread is anything to go by. most fans on here think its a good idea and should be applauded. get your tin hat on because you'll be getting abused soon for daring to suggest it was anything but a good idea. at least you should if people on here are consistent.

what's become quite clear here and is still a lost in the minds of some is that this initiative is not a charitable one despite what was originally pedalled by those who leapt to the defence of the club last night. as mckennen has said, the collecting of clothes is clearly good business for the recycling sector, so good that they can afford to give away £400 for the privilege of collecting. but lets be clear for those who still don't compute - this isn't donating your old clothes to charity.

i don't understand why the glaswegian would 'stich up' the club. could it be that they didn't understand the story themselves?

and clearly my point hasn't come across regarding finances as i didn't say (or mean) the article did say we were cash strapped or that i thought we were or not. i don't have access to that kind of information except listening to the club's directors make a slick presentations about the finances of the club and how we are now in profit. to be honest, i've given up trying to follow what comes out of the club anymore. i can't make head nor tale of it. my original point and observation was a simple one. and that was simply to ask if we'd really fallen so far that we're collecting jumble to fundraise £400, not for charity as has been shown by others on this thread, but for the club.

You stated the story was embarrasing I pointed out the massive difference in what is a minor PR Gaffe and the fact that we were heading towards Administration two years on the trot ,The Directors gave a presentation of our finances ,they could be questioned -Im assuming that if they were happy to take questions then they must have been happy they were a fair reflection on our current position -they made it clear cashflow is a different kettle of fish ,now Im not quite sure what you dont understand about the message coming out of the Club -we have finances under control and proper safegaurds are put in place ,we (at least this Season) dont have any Icebergs like running out of cash a couple of months into it ,the Charity Story is at worst not the best bit of PR ever put out - however well intentioned ,we got knobbled by a headline we didnt write ,please tell me there is more substance to your compliant ?

Edited by Jordanhill Jag