Wee Bit Disappointed At Thistle

phoenix1876

my mate is running a charity event for movember and has been asking teams about scotland for donations

celtic have offered him free tickets

as have dunfermline, st mirren & hearts too

even airdrie!!

yet thistle declined and said no

are our finances that tight we cant offer free tickets

I think that's a bit unfair. Did Celtic, Dunfermline. St Mirren etc donate to Capital FM cancer appeal or help sell the Peel to Save booklets? There's been other charitable appeals etc the Club have got involved with as well.

I've no idea whether we give more or give less to charitable causes pro rata to the size of our Club. That's something nobody knows but I'm willing to bet every club has to refuse worthwhile causes on a very regular basis.

my mate is running a charity event for movember and has been asking teams about scotland for donations

even airdrie!!

Out of curiosity, could I ask what the charity is?

And given that the club does contribute to charity events, what was their reason for refusing?

Edited by Jaggernaut

I've put on 2 charity events over the past 2 years and both times Thistle have turned me down to even donate a signed ball. I was told to phone 3 seperate people to get something and all 3 pointed their finger to someone else within the club. It gave me the impression that nobody knew what they were responsible at the club. This would only be around January time!

I'm disappointed to learn about this too. I mean, the ground is three quarters empty most of the time, so what possible harm could distributing a few free tickets do? Once people are in the ground then some of them are bound to want to buy food or drink, or maybe purchase a match programme, so the club will make money that way. And who knows, maybe some of them will enjoy the experience and come back again.

This is really short-sighted thinking by the club, IMO.

Edited by Guy Incognito

off topic but i felt a wee bit let down by them last year.

i asked if we could hold a small function after my old man's funeral in one of the bars, but was surprised that they dont cater for such events. i would've thought the bars might be better off getting business from jags fans from weddings/funerals/christenings etc than lying empty all week. it would've been a nice touch too for a guy who followed them for 60 odd years.

maybe it is a licencing issue?

Ok, I'll join in...

We had a pretty big work event recently, raising money for CHAS, primarily through a raffle. We had prizes from both Celtic and Rangers (signed shirts) and I wanted there to be something from Thistle there too. I was fully aware that I'd have to win the raffle - my OF supporting bosses would deliberately bid-up the prizes and I'd have to make sure any Jags item went for more than any OF item - but it would all be for a good cause. I dropped the club an email and was quite surprised that they refused to donate anything. Even more so when I suggested that I would make sure we got photos and allow the club some publicity should it wish it - I couldn't really see much of a negative.

Maybe we do support a lot, but felt a little let down and probably wouldn't think to ask the club again. Shame.

off topic but i felt a wee bit let down by them last year.

i asked if we could hold a small function after my old man's funeral in one of the bars, but was surprised that they dont cater for such events. i would've thought the bars might be better off getting business from jags fans from weddings/funerals/christenings etc than lying empty all week. it would've been a nice touch too for a guy who followed them for 60 odd years.

maybe it is a licencing issue?

Strange one too. Does the club no longer seek to hire out the function suites? Too much for them to get in any staff required?

even airdrie!!

Free tickets would just fill empty seats, so why couldn't the club make a small donation? I find this very sad.

Through one of my kids I have dealings with the Braehead Clan ice hockey team and they'd give you tickets, signed programmes and probably send along a smiling Canadian for a photo shoot; especially if it gets a picture in the paper. Oh, and it's worth mentioning that their gates are comparable to ours - Belfast are over this weekend and the crowd is expected to exceed 3000.

I recently went to a charity event in Coatbridge (signed H*** jersey stalled at a tenner until a local businessman threw in £50 and then donated the top back!) and there were several sets of Clan tickets as prizes. The event was boxing-related and the organisers had just chanced their arm... Maybe worth a call?

Difficult situation for the club , handing out shirts/signed whatever to every charity that asked for them would cost a ton of money we dont have. In the past I have had shirts signed that I have purchased and asked the club to get it signed , never any hassle in getting that done.

I know the club support MacMillan , Erskine , Glasgow Old Peoples Welfare amongst other charities who do work locally so TBH I think some of the criticism is a bit off on here

Difficult situation for the club , handing out shirts/signed whatever to every charity that asked for them would cost a ton of money we dont have. In the past I have had shirts signed that I have purchased and asked the club to get it signed , never any hassle in getting that done.

I know the club support MacMillan , Erskine , Glasgow Old Peoples Welfare amongst other charities who do work locally so TBH I think some of the criticism is a bit off on here

The OP was posting about free tickets not shirts. A couple (or even two pair) of free tickets to a home game wouldn't cost the club anything, and as others have pointed out, those who may win such tickets to a game may purchase a programme or two, possibly but 50/50 tickets, or even get a taste for the Jags whereby they may pay to return to watch other games if they enjoyed it sufficiently, or even buy a shirt or some other merchandise, so surely it is a no-lose situation for the club to offer free tickets as prizes for charity events?

even airdrie!!

Maybe the club is better informed about men's health than your friend: the Movember campaign garners funds for the Prostate Cancer Charity, whose main policy (introducing universal testing for prostate cancer) contravenes the advice of most of the medical profession. That advice is based on large-scale peer-reviewed studies which have shown that such testing leads to more deaths and more unnecessary medically-caused harm among men. That charity continues pushing its policy despite the harm its policy would cause if adopted.

A friend of mine, who is a senior representative of GPs in Australia, has publicly described the advocates of that policy as "evil".

A friend of mine held a charity do, with loads of signed football stuff. Mostly Motherwell and Accies due to the area but there was tickets from the Dons and Hearts too.

I emailed Ami to ask for anything the club can give, and Got a signed Ball, very helpful and a pleasure to deal with. So I can only say good things about their support for causes.

Bear in mind there will be thousands of charities and do's on every month and the club will donate when and if they can.

Only down side was, I also managed to get a pair of signed match worn Kenny Arthur gloves, and the organisers paired the ball and gloves in a lot together. I splashed out £40 on raffle tickets and didn’t win them.

The guy that did, doesn’t even like football, and he wouldn't even take £100 of me for it (towards the end of the night when I was blootered).

A friend of mine held a charity do, with loads of signed football stuff. Mostly Motherwell and Accies due to the area but there was tickets from the Dons and Hearts too.

I emailed Ami to ask for anything the club can give, and Got a signed Ball, very helpful and a pleasure to deal with. So I can only say good things about their support for causes.

Bear in mind there will be thousands of charities and do's on every month and the club will donate when and if they can.

Only down side was, I also managed to get a pair of signed match worn Kenny Arthur gloves, and the organisers paired the ball and gloves in a lot together. I splashed out £40 on raffle tickets and didn’t win them.

The guy that did, doesn’t even like football, and he wouldn't even take £100 of me for it (towards the end of the night when I was blootered).

This post just confirms, you are aff yer heid! :thinking:

• Members

With regard to free tickets, has anyone thought of asking the Jagstrust? They were granted places at hospitality in return for signing over to the Centenary Fund. I'm not sure how they use these places? Perhaps they could be traded off for match tickets for charity or community projects?

As stated a couple of posts above, the club has it's own charity. My girlfriend raised money for Douglas MacMillan a year or two back and many shops she approached said they wouldn't donate raffle prizes for the same reason. Luckily some companies' official charities turned out to be DM so they were quite helpful.

Don't see what would be wrong with offering free tickets if someone can provide proof (company/charity headed letter or something) that they are raising money for charity though as this doesn't come at cost.

Willjag's proposition is a good idea. The question has been asked before and I'm not sure if it was answered.

With regard to free tickets, has anyone thought of asking the Jagstrust? They were granted places at hospitality in return for signing over to the Centenary Fund. I'm not sure how they use these places? Perhaps they could be traded off for match tickets for charity or community projects?

We get places as part of the deal with the Centenary Fund. We use the places as prizes for various things: Thistle Expert, raffells etc. But this is certainly something we would look at if someone came to us.

• Members

We get places as part of the deal with the Centenary Fund. We use the places as prizes for various things: Thistle Expert, raffells etc. But this is certainly something we would look at if someone came to us.

:thumbsup2:

The only thing I would say is jags365 (trying not to sound critical!), "if someone came to us"..... maybe the Trust should be thinking of reversing this particular stance?