Paul Paton

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Today finalised my thoughts on this guy.

He arrived as a fresh faced young right back from Queens Park, and to be fair looked quite decent at the start. I remember he had ideas above his station and seemed to believe he was a future SPL player. Look at him now. He is fast turning into one of those players who lingers like a bad smell at clubs (can I hear someone say Archi), taking a wage and offering little.

The guy is one footed beyond belief. Its a travesty that this has not been worked on. He also does that horrid thing, where he points and shouts at others but does very little himself. His attitude is terrible, that pass he always plays, the high looping ball down the right wing (normally down the throat down of a defender or out the park) is just in a word unpleasant.

I really can't see how he is a 1st pick on the team sheet.

Times up PP.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He arrived as a fresh faced young right back from Queens Park, and to be fair looked quite decent at the start. I remember he had ideas above his station and seemed to believe he was a future SPL player. Look at him now. He is fast turning into one of those players who lingers like a bad smell at clubs (can I hear someone say Archi), taking a wage and offering little.

The guy is one footed beyond belief. Its a travesty that this has not been worked on. He also does that horrid thing, where he points and shouts at others but does very little himself. His attitude is terrible, that pass he always plays, the high looping ball down the right wing (normally down the throat down of a defender or out the park) is just in a word unpleasant.

Times up PP.

because he is the best we have in that postion, get over it and i cant understand this he must kick with his other foot, very few of the team do it so why should he be singled out if he cant :blink:

how do you know it hasnt been worked on?

i presume that due to you silky skills with both feet you will be playing for man city next week....no thought not :rolleyes:

Edited by jaggybunnet

It seems that PP is picked on most weeks and has been made this seasons whipping boy by some folk. He even gets criticised when having had a good game for one misplaced pass. Totally agree with Jagggybunnet - best we have in that position. I think he has actually improved this season. In previous seasons, we saw him launch the ball virtually as soon as he got it. That is not the case nowadays (except when it is the only option available of course).

I still see good performances from him and lots of potential.

And the one foot thing is not really a big deal is it? Every player has a favoured foot.

His one-footedness, while still mega annoying, doesn't bother me as much as it used to. What irritates though are his inability to take on a man, his hopeful punts up the wing, and his ability to blame his mistakes on other team mates. His first half against County last week was embarrassing for all these reasons.

Obviously it's all about opinions, and I think he's one that will always divide the fans. I think that if O'Donnell gets a shot at RB, it'll be a long road back for Paton.

His one-footedness, while still mega annoying, doesn't bother me as much as it used to. What irritates though are his inability to take on a man, his hopeful punts up the wing, and his ability to blame his mistakes on other team mates. His first half against County last week was embarrassing for all these reasons.

Obviously it's all about opinions, and I think he's one that will always divide the fans. I think that if O'Donnell gets a shot at RB, it'll be a long road back for Paton.

i will give you that O'Donnell seems to get forward more but thats because he has played mostly midfield and would be ineresting to see if he kept doing it if he got caught out a few time from being to far forward , Paton on the other hand is better at the defencive work IMHO.

i personaly think we suffer from not having any real wingers (erskine and cairney are not and will never be wingers) to give us width and depend on our Left and right backs getting forwards to much, if we had two top class central defenders i would agree but we dont so both have to balance going forward and with being caught out defencivly.

Paton's problem is not pushing forward with the ball and always playing a long pass or a backpass. His long passes are ok. For example, he played Tommy Stewart through on goal early on with one, and played a good crossfield pass at one point also. It's just that we seem to focus on getting crosses in from the wings, and we spend all game focussing on it. He doesn't every get to the byline and, even when we get crosses in, noone gets on the end of them.

Problems today that cost us winning the match: Doolan not getting involved enough and Archibald's distribution.

Paton's problem is not pushing forward with the ball and always playing a long pass or a backpass. His long passes are ok. For example, he played Tommy Stewart through on goal early on with one, and played a good crossfield pass at one point also. It's just that we seem to focus on getting crosses in from the wings, and we spend all game focussing on it. He doesn't every get to the byline and, even when we get crosses in, noone gets on the end of them.

Problems today that cost us winning the match: Doolan not getting involved enough and Archibald's distribution.

agree with some of what you say but why when he has erskine or cairney NOT covering him when he goes forward would he, he is damed if he does and damed when he doesnt

Times up PP.

Noticed this as well very often..IMO he thinks he is some kind of "guvnor" on the pitch but has absolutely fck all to back it up with!

Loses possession quite a lot.

Agreed taxi for Paton..Oh and I didnt mention his sneering at the crowd which i have witnessed.

It seems that PP is picked on most weeks and has been made this seasons whipping boy by some folk. He even gets criticised when having had a good game for one misplaced pass. Totally agree with Jagggybunnet - best we have in that position. I think he has actually improved this season. In previous seasons, we saw him launch the ball virtually as soon as he got it. That is not the case nowadays (except when it is the only option available of course).

I still see good performances from him and lots of potential.

And the one foot thing is not really a big deal is it? Every player has a favoured foot.

Agree with all of that.His worst trait for a long time was getting two yards over the half way line and then launching an aimless punt straight back to the opposition but to a large extent he's cut this out of his game.I think the lack of having a proper regular winger in front of him makes him look worse than he is.Wingback Is physically the hardest position to play and if he was asked to defend and defend only then I think he's still a pretty good player.My feeling on PP is that there is still a good footballer inside waiting to come out.Still worth persevering with but improvement needed.

Find myself mostly agreeing with Mr Cheesecloth but I'm a bit confused with the timing of his post. Paton played at right centreback today (Balatoni mid & Archie left). His lack of height wasn't tested so he coasted thru the game.

Like many I get near infuriated with his unwillingness to take his direct opponent on but that's when he plays right back. Bigger question for me was just why we were playing three at the back and such an unadventurous three at that. A standard two centrebacks wouldn't have been under any more pressure today. Paton could've been benched and the extra midfielder might just have played a striker in.

Don't rate him. If O'Donnell wasn't so good just about everywhere else I think Paton would be benched rather more often.

The problem isn't just that he's one footed. The problem is that he has to contort his body at right angles when he cuts inside, meaning instead of getting past a man he's backing up on himself, usually leaving no choice but to punt it back to Balatoni or across to Sinclair.

Twaddle, Boyle and Sinclair all have one thing in common and that's that on the left flank they almost always look for the overlap and they're willing to hit the by-line and put a cross in. Paton's crosses are almost exclusively from deep or after backing up on himself. It's massively infuriating.

When he first signed, I thought he was best going forward but suspect at the back. Now the reverse is true. Now certainly being good defensively is the priority but with the systems we deploy the role of the wide backs/wing backs really has to be more than high balls from deep. If Paton is to be so one-footed, his decision making and passing with his right foot need to get considerably better than they are.

I think it's a wee bit harsh on Paton. He's limited, that is without doubt, but I think he is a decent enough player at this level. His one-footedness has been a gripe of mine since he signed and I would have expected him to have improved that by now. I know, as do the majority of people who have watched him, exactly what he is going to do so I suspect our opponents have latched onto that too.

I said a while back that I thought Paton would make a better right midfielder than full back and I stick by that. I think we could actually build a decent threat down the right side if we were to play O'Donnell at full back and Paton at right midfield. His habit of swinging his left arm out and then cutting inside would work slightly better further up the pitch and would allow O'Donnell to overlap outside.

As for comments about him "sneering at the crowd", bloody grow up. Within reason, a paying spectator is allowed to hurl whatever criticism they please at the players but "sneering at the crowd" is vindication for believing Paton should be on his way out? That is one thing that I absolutely detest about football fans, in general. They feel it's fair game to abuse players for ninety minutes yet any retort is met with sheer indignation that he had the audacity to respond. I will always remember a well-known gentleman around Firhill protesting to a Queen of the South steward to have Neil Scally reported to the police for gesturing to the fans after a bit of a touchline stramash. F*cking embarrassing.

Edited by Armand2

As for comments about him "sneering at the crowd", bloody grow up. Within reason, a paying spectator is allowed to hurl whatever criticism they please at the players but "sneering at the crowd" is vindication for believing Paton should be on his way out? That is one thing that I absolutely detest about football fans, in general. They feel it's fair game to abuse players for ninety minutes yet any retort is met with sheer indignation that he had the audacity to respond. I will always remember a well-known gentleman around Firhill protesting to a Queen of the South steward to have Neil Scally reported to the police for gesturing to the fans after a bit of a touchline stramash. F*cking embarrassing.

totally agree with this, some of the (undeserved) abuse he gets is embarrassing.

*Agreed, but calling people names on here is just as bad. Admin*

I think PP is a perfectly decent full back at this level but think he suffers from comparison with Sinclair on the left who offers a lot more going forward. PP never seems willing to take on his man and always ends up playing the ball in from too deep. Frustrating. Nonetheless I don't think I've ever thought he lacked effort - always puts a shift in when I see him, just not always effectively.

Quite like the idea from Armand to play O'Donnell RB and PP RM. Could be interesting and allow a natural overlap with PP offering cover at times.

I think it's a wee bit harsh on Paton. He's limited, that is without doubt, but I think he is a decent enough player at this level. His one-footedness has been a gripe of mine since he signed and I would have expected him to have improved that by now. I know, as do the majority of people who have watched him, exactly what he is going to do so I suspect our opponents have latched onto that too.

I said a while back that I thought Paton would make a better right midfielder than full back and I stick by that. I think we could actually build a decent threat down the right side if we were to play O'Donnell at full back and Paton at right midfield. His habit of swinging his left arm out and then cutting inside would work slightly better further up the pitch and would allow O'Donnell to overlap outside.

I like Paton as a defender his one footedness does make him a bit one dimensional goin forward but i feel he has improved his distributuion over the last season and a half.

With some of the abuse players take from fans its maybe a bit surprising we havent seen more moments a la Cantona. Some fans need to wake up / grow up. If a player who has been gettin abuse does something to get back at the fans then thats fine imo as long as the gesture is not offensive.

The reason that Paton almost never tries to take on a man is that he has absolutely no pace; it's simply impossible for him to run past anybody. Hence the predictable lift-the-arm-as-if-about-to-do-something-then-don't-do-it ploy that we all used to do in primary school. His absolute one-footedness has clearly been clocked by every other team in the league, so that he's been rendered even less of a threat than he might have been a year or two ago. In fact these days he doesn't even cut in as much as before; instead he simply turns back and takes the easy (only?) option he has, i.e. pass it backwards.

Defensively he's OK, I think. And his corners are certainly better than Cairney's weak floaters. Maybe he should take them again.

The reason that Paton almost never tries to take on a man is that he has absolutely no pace; it's simply impossible for him to run past anybody. Hence the predictable lift-the-arm-as-if-about-to-do-something-then-don't-do-it ploy that we all used to do in primary school. His absolute one-footedness has clearly been clocked by every other team in the league, so that he's been rendered even less of a threat than he might have been a year or two ago. In fact these days he doesn't even cut in as much as before; instead he simply turns back and takes the easy (only?) option he has, i.e. pass it backwards.

Defensively he's OK, I think. And his corners are certainly better than Cairney's weak floaters. Maybe he should take them again.

yes that will be why he manages to track back and get a tackle in when most of our team are still at the half way line

very harsh, like i said with a defence such as ours what do you expect him to do

tell me who all these two footed players in our team are please? :thinking:

and what dafty thinks that throwing abuse at players helps them to play better :mad2:

Edited by jaggybunnet

It's not tho' just his inability to use his poorer foot re crossing, shooting, long balls etc. As I think you're indicating most players in our squad are equally culpable to a point. In that respect Archibald & Cairney, Rowson to a point are poor on their weaker foot. But they still will use it when necessary or preferable. Paton hardly uses his left foot to pass, stop the ball or even tackle.

If Paul Paton drives a car I can only presume it must be an automatic.

It's not tho' just his inability to use his poorer foot re crossing, shooting, long balls etc. As I think you're indicating most players in our squad are equally culpable to a point. In that respect Archibald & Cairney, Rowson to a point are poor on their weaker foot. But they still will use it when necessary or preferable. Paton hardly uses his left foot to pass, stop the ball or even tackle.

If Paul Paton drives a car I can only presume it must be an automatic.

It may be one those new-fangled ones that only goes sideways and backwards to reduce speeding accidents.

Even Paddy Boyle could and frequently did actually use his right foot. Most players use their weaker foot when on the ball. They perhaps don't use it much more often to offload/shoot than Paton but they do at least use it when keeping the ball under their own control. Paton contorts his body specifically to avoid even using his left foot to set up his right foot!

Edit: The Lady has beaten me to it.

Edited by Woodstock Jag