Minute Silence Today

lennythistle

Beat me to it H Wragg. It's a tragedy for the family and friends when some one dies. It's a time to remember with fondness too if someone who has personally touched your life either as a sporting or political hero passes on. At these times a minutes silence (or applause) is fitting. I don't see how yesterday's minute's silence was fitting. I feel for his family and friends, but are we also going to have a minute's silence for Socrates at the next game?

Beat me to it H Wragg. It's a tragedy for the family and friends when some one dies. It's a time to remember with fondness too if someone who has personally touched your life either as a sporting or political hero passes on. At these times a minutes silence (or applause) is fitting. I don't see how yesterday's minute's silence was fitting. I feel for his family and friends, but are we also going to have a minute's silence for Socrates at the next game?

I respect everyone's opinion on what is clearly an emotive subject, however, as I said on another forum, Gary Speed's death touched almost everyone who follows football because nobody saw it coming in any way, shape or form. Doubly so, because he was fully in the public eye less than 24 hours before he was found dead.

This isn't Gazza we are talking about (and I certainly do not wish him an early death despite his well publicised personal problems or his performance against us in February 1996). Gary Speed was someone who was a member of those ever reducing bunch of individuals who play our favourite sport for the love of the sport itself. He certainly was not a mercenary, and the universal reaction to his death speaks for that.

If Jaggymac saw fit to mark it with yesterday's silence then good on him for having insisted on it.

Edited by Barney Rubble

I respect everyone's opinion on what is clearly an emotive subject, however, as I said on another forum, Gary Speed's death touched almost everyone who follows football because nobody saw it coming in any way, shape or form. Doubly so, because he was fully in the public eye less than 24 hours before he was found dead.

This isn't Gazza we are talking about (and I certainly do not wish him an early death despite his well publicised personal problems or his performance against us in February 1996). Gary Speed was someone who was a member of those ever reducing bunch of individuals who play our favourite sport for the love of the sport itself. He certainly was not a mercenary, and the universal reaction to his death speaks for that.

If Jaggymac saw fit to mark it with yesterday's silence then good on him for having insisted on it.

:thumbsup2:

what the club has done by granting jackie's request is set in place a precedent and binned the club's policy of NOT having minute's silences, no matter who may have passed away. i for one am glad that the odd club policy has now been cast aside into the bin where it belongs. the club cannot now decline a show of respect for members of the thistle family now.

fan groups have made many pleas to the club in the past to hold a minute silences for former players but those requests were met with a robust refusal using a club policy as the reasoning. even a request for an annual silence, as an alternative, to remember all thistle people who have passed away (players, managers, fans) was rejected.

in my recent memory i can only recall two minutes silences - gary speed and the two wee girls who were murdered by ian huntley. nothing for anyone from the thistle family.

If McNamara saw fit to mark it with yesterday's silence then good on him for having insisted on it.

Fair enough. And please believe me I am not belittling your opinion or disrespecting anyone living or dead, but Socrates sparked my "fitba gland" as much as Gary Speed. Are we ta assume we will have a minute's silence for Socrates if someone in a position of power in the club insists? A minute's silence every week or every other week? Or every month? If so it dilutes the meaning. I am sad at Gary's passing as I am sad about the passing of any human being. A great player. Not a "soccer mercenary", a good guy. But nothing to do with Partick Thistle or Scottish football.

Spoke with David Beattie at length after the game today. Very interesting conversation and he is such a polite and friendly man. He advised me that it was all Jackie Mac's doing that we had a minute silence for Gary speed today.

Class act Jackie. Well done.

David himself has been battling throat cancer for the last two years or so (i knew he hadn't been well but not that it was that serious). He has had some good news of late regards that fight and this thistle fan wishes him a full recovery and the best of health.

i'll respect that, but i kind of lost respect for gary speed when he committed suicide, my brother committed suicide 10 yr ago, and to leave your wife and children like that is criminal. i think it's a cowardly thing to do, and a bigger man would face up to his problems, other than doing that. i know i shouldn't judge but i just think its the wrong thing to do

Not really bothered either way, it can't really have done THAT much harm can it? Also agree that the previous board's lack of action on these issues should not be used as a barometer. Even though it was few years ago I think that it's an absolute DISGRACE that we didn't have a minute silence for THE DON.

i'll respect that, but i kind of lost respect for gary speed when he committed suicide, my brother committed suicide 10 yr ago, and to leave your wife and children like that is criminal. i think it's a cowardly thing to do, and a bigger man would face up to his problems, other than doing that. i know i shouldn't judge but i just think its the wrong thing to do

Wow. Major respect for coming on here and confirming something like that.

If it's appropriate, what were the circumstances of your brother's death, and did he leave family behind?

Not really bothered either way, it can't really have done THAT much harm can it? Also agree that the previous board's lack of action on these issues should not be used as a barometer. Even though it was few years ago I think that it's an absolute DISGRACE that we didn't have a minute silence for THE DON.

Or George Niven!

what the club has done by granting jackie's request is set in place a precedent and binned the club's policy of NOT having minute's silences, no matter who may have passed away. i for one am glad that the odd club policy has now been cast aside into the bin where it belongs. the club cannot now decline a show of respect for members of the thistle family now.

fan groups have made many pleas to the club in the past to hold a minute silences for former players but those requests were met with a robust refusal using a club policy as the reasoning. even a request for an annual silence, as an alternative, to remember all thistle peple who have passed away (players, managers, fans) was rejected.

in my recent memory i can only recall two minutes silences - gary speed and the two wee girls who were murdered by ian huntley. nothing for anyone from the thistle family.

I actually thought the previous policy was correct simply because you will never get a happy medium ,who decides on who is worthy do we set up a Hall of Fame type Committee ,if Prince Phillip passes away do we have one for him -this is now a Pandoras Box imo -Board should simply have said no to Jackie -they decide on Club issues not the Manager,it was not a Football issue he should have no say on this.

I actually thought the previous policy was correct simply because you will never get a happy medium ,who decides on who is worthy do we set up a Hall of Fame type Committee ,if Prince Phillip passes away do we have one for him -this is now a Pandoras Box imo -Board should simply have said no to Jackie -they decide on Club issues not the Manager,it was not a Football issue he should have no say on this.

Spot on :thumbsup2:

how do other clubs manage to do it though? 100% agree that just because jackie asked, the board cast aside their long standing policy which they've stood firm on despite many requests to change it, that has to be wrong. the problem is that by having such a inflexible policy the club remains wide open to criticism. imagine if they had said no to jackie? imagine if the media had got a sniff (and they would have) that he'd asked for a minute silence and had been turned down.

the bit about who is worthy or not is an easy one. its simply a willingness to show respect. why is it such a big deal to have a silence? the implcation is that we'd be having one every week which is of course total nonsense. will we have one for john lambie? what about alan rough? what about chic? or robert reid? or alex rae? or denis mcquade? based on the old policy none of these guys will get a minute silence. as it stands we've just had a minute silence for a high profile player that has no connection at all to the club (but the suggestion is that jackie may have played against him at some point?) yet if one of the thistle names above passes away the policy would be not to have a silence.

as i said, by having a silence for gary speed, the club now has absolutely no legs to stand on when it comes to a thistle person passing away. if they turn that down they deserve the slaughtering they'd rightly get.

how do other clubs manage to do it though? 100% agree that just because jackie asked, the board cast aside their long standing policy which they've stood firm on despite many requests to change it, that has to be wrong. the problem is that by having such a inflexible policy the club remains wide open to criticism. imagine if they had said no to jackie? imagine if the media had got a sniff (and they would have) that he'd asked for a minute silence and had been turned down.

the bit about who is worthy or not is an easy one. its simply a willingness to show respect. why is it such a big deal to have a silence? the implcation is that we'd be having one every week which is of course total nonsense. will we have one for john lambie? what about alan rough? what about chic? or robert reid? or alex rae? or denis mcquade? based on the old policy none of these guys will get a minute silence. as it stands we've just had a minute silence for a high profile player that has no connection at all to the club (but the suggestion is that jackie may have played against him at some point?) yet if one of the thistle names above passes away the policy would be not to have a silence.

as i said, by having a silence for gary speed, the club now has absolutely no legs to stand on when it comes to a thistle person passing away. if they turn that down they deserve the slaughtering they'd rightly get.

That all makes good sense!

When I heard of Gary Speed’s tragic death and all the glowing tributes that followed about how such a wonderful person he was (no cynicism intended) I realised, apart from him being a successful footballer and was making his way as a manager, I was not aware of all the other aspects of his character that made him such an outstanding national football personality. I’ll hazard a guess that I was not the only one, and even go so far as to say the majority at Firhill on Saturday were also not aware of Gary Speed’s high standing in the football world until all the publicity surrounding his untimely death.

So it was with some incredulity, and I have to admit with no genuine feelings of sadness I stood for the minute’s silence at Firhill on Saturday. Though I did wonder why the man would subject his wife and family to such a horrendous way to end his life. God only knows how Mrs Speed will cope with the memory of finding her husband hanged in the garage and the ordeal of an inquiry that will follow.

Other clubs manage by not being so po-faced about the whole affair. There's a range of ways in which we can pay our respects to former players who have passed on but anything other than a passing mention in the programme has been rejected in the past.

But let's not regard "the board" or "the policy" as some kind of unchanging monolith - we have new people in place now who weren't directly associated with the previous tomfoolery and I'd hope a more mature attitude to this will be forthcoming.

I'm always struck by how many tributes I see from other clubs for players who were not names known to me but who had simply played their part in the football club.

And for the names mentioned, I'd expect a minutes silence/applause for each and every one of them.

Surely it's quite easy:

Thistle player (or Scottish International of high regard) receive a minutes silence and black armband.

Player of high regard outside Scotland but deemed fitting of "memorial" at Firhill; only black arm band.

If players or manager see fit that someone should receive a minutes silence but said person has had no effect on the Thistle community, then any minutes silence can take place in the dressing room and a black armband be worn on the pitch.

I didn't really ahve a problem with standing in silence for a minute to remember a guy who died too soon. It probably touched me as I'm the same age.

However, I was disappointed that we couldn't have a tribute at Firhill for the likes of Don McVicar, Jamie Dolan or Paul McGrillen to name a few.

I didn't really ahve a problem with standing in silence for a minute to remember a guy who died too soon. It probably touched me as I'm the same age.

However, I was disappointed that we couldn't have a tribute at Firhill for the likes of Don McVicar, Jamie Dolan or Paul McGrillen to name a few.

Here here.

:thumbsup2: