Balatoni

The Earl of Hathaway

To be quite honest I think Robertson and as for objective thinking if folk think he,s "improved over the last couple" of games , these games have been against ayr and a Highland league side.I don't want to come onto a forum and criticize any thistle player, I want the guy to be a good player for us but has CB really been consistent and good enough to warrant us signing him on a permanent deal?Personally ,I don't think so , if you do that's your opinion but honestly every time a cross ball has come into our box this season im shitting it because we don't have the commanding central defender that good teams are built round.

As for asking me who I have in mind , im sorry but on a Saturday I go to watch thistle and can't get round the other grounds in Scotland to watch up and coming players or talk to football scouts.If you're saying there isn't someone out there better because you don't know of one then again your entitled to your opinion.

Some keep harping on about the defence, but the goals against us looks pretty good if you ask me. I posted on a previous thread, Conrad has not had the start to this season that we expected, certainly nothing like how he was towards the end of last season. The club recognize this and more importantly, so does Conrad. There was no one against signing him at the start of the season.

What really irks me, is the ones who want to come on and slate the guy week after week when he has the bad games, but are either no where to be seen or still have a go at the lad when he has a good game.

He read the game well yesterday, won a good few in the air against deuchar and scored a very very good goal. The goal we conceded, in my opinion, was more to do with Fox not taking command than Conrad or Archie not dealing with it.

We played well yesterday, Conrad had a very good game and was very committed to the cause, GIVE HIM A BREAK.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be quite honest I think Robertson

Really? What do you base this on?

and as for objective thinking if folk think he,s "improved over the last couple" of games , these games have been against ayr and a Highland league side.

The same Highland League side he got hooked against in the first tie? Ayr with Marco (still a very clever player) up front? Don't forget Livi and the big doctor up front, when was the last time he was sooooo quiet against us?

I don't want to come onto a forum and criticize any thistle player, I want the guy to be a good player for us but has CB really been consistent and good enough to warrant us signing him on a permanent deal? Personally ,I don't think so , if you do that's your opinion

Don't do it when it is unnecessary then. Do you honestly expect consistency from a defender as young as Balatoni? What about Sinclair, has he been consistent? IMO no, but then I don't expect any young guy playing at our level to be consistently at the top of his game.

but honestly every time a cross ball has come into our box this season im shitting it because we don't have the commanding central defender that good teams are built round.

you gota calm down dear, we have the second best defensive record in the league, bettered only by the (runaway?) league leaders. Has it crossed your mind that cross balls have been a problem since Fox lost his confidence during that wee phase where he cost us a couple of goals?

As for asking me who I have in mind , im sorry but on a Saturday I go to watch thistle and can't get round the other grounds in Scotland to watch up and coming players or talk to football scouts.If you're saying there isn't someone out there better because you don't know of one then again your entitled to your opinion.

Well imo we would not be able to attract players from the SPL, and the only 1st division centre half Ive seen that I've said "I would love himin my team" is Scott Boyd...but he is probably even out of our reach. Balatoni fits with the ethos the Club is trying to instill, get them young, make them better, sell them on...we have 3 or 4 in that category and IF we signed CB permanently he too would fall into that category.

For the record, I'm not saying sign him now if we get the chance and I don't think anyone else is either, but I'd try to get his loan extended to the end of the season. By then Jackie willhave had a chance to assess him and IF he is deemed to have enough potential and has shown an improvement in his development as a footballer then I'd rather have him than an ageing Archie at centre half.

For the record, I'm not saying sign him now if we get the chance and I don't think anyone else is either, but I'd try to get his loan extended to the end of the season. By then Jackie will have had a chance to assess him and IF he is deemed to have enough potential and has shown an improvement in his development as a footballer then I'd rather have him than an ageing Archie at centre half.

Perhaps Lindsay will be able to step in for Archie sooner than later but I'm not sure of the wisdom of having Willie K, Robertson and Balatoni all right sided players and supported by O'Donnell & Paton who can also play at right centre back. If Sinclair keeps playing the way he does then we've got to expect he'll be caught up field regularly. Not having a centre back who is naturally comfortable on his left side might prove a problem.

i've never been a fan of him, i think we can find better out there. he is probably a good 2nd division player. he may get better when he gets older but we need someone who can do it now. i think the wage would be better spent doing that. we're very fragile at the back, with lapses of concentration and a few gifts

Edited by The Mighty Quinn

It's hardly surprising given what appears to be going on at Tyncastle. Now tho' a more difficult decision for McNamara. Whereas an extended loan with presumably Hearts paying (ha!) a good chunk of Balatoni's wages would have been a reasonable compromise.

It's fair to say that with no real shortage of centre backs at the Club (especially right sided ones) and no great extended form to go on, signing Conrad would be a decision based on his potential. Even if Jackie sees considerable potential in Balatoni he's also got to weigh up whether we first need to prioritise on other areas of the field.

Our regular goalkeeper and all of the defence except Sinclair have come in for some stick this season, but we have the second tightest defence in the league, conceding only one goal per league game on average. We have also only lost two league goals in the last five league matches, or 3 goals in seven games overall (and one of those was a corker). We must be doing something right...

I think we could do worse than sign Balatoni on a deal.

Interesting that Hearts have also released Callum Elliot, is this the same Elliot who used to play at Livi a few years back, remember he scored a few fair goals for them. If it is the same one then we could do a lot worse than sign him especially when our strikers are far from on fire at present.

Interesting that Hearts have also released Callum Elliot, is this the same Elliot who used to play at Livi a few years back, remember he scored a few fair goals for them. If it is the same one then we could do a lot worse than sign him especially when our strikers are far from on fire at present.

I'm pretty sure it is the same guy was he not out injured last season

It is the same player who was on loan at Ferranti. Wikipedia says that he scored 11 goals in 13 appearances for them. Elliot could be a useful addition to our squad. The big issue will be, as usual, money.

:wall::wall:

Confirmed in today's Times

I'd be happy to keep him.

Likewise mate thought he was really good as was Archie on Saturday - why are both getting pelters?

Has anyone looked at the goals against column in the league table - i would suggest the issues are still at the other end and we should be scoring more goals

FFS archie is a Jags legend and Balatoni for a guy on a loan gives 100% to the cause

lets forget about Culter now - its done with!

:wall:

Calum Elliot on loan at Dungdee, then got injured 10 seconds into his debut against Rovers. Crock, avoid imo.

I think he came back in against Stirling in the cup and therefore is cup-tied as well.

Edited by jagfox

Same Elloit. Same dving wee :mad2:

He's currently at Dundee. I cant think of a more appropriate match for him. I would rather we tried to get someone like Ryan McGowan from Hearts if they are having a fire sale.

:wall::wall:

Likewise mate thought he was really good as was Archie on Saturday - why are both getting pelters?

Has anyone looked at the goals against column in the league table - i would suggest the issues are still at the other end and we should be scoring more goals

FFS archie is a Jags legend and Balatoni for a guy on a loan gives 100% to the cause

lets forget about Culter now - its done with!

:wall:

So how many right sided centre backs do we need? Could the money required not be better spent addressing further up the pitch?

So how many right sided centre backs do we need? Could the money required not be better spent addressing further up the pitch?

Let's say that Willie-K got injured again. Who do we have who could step in? Our youngsters seem to be entirely midfielders and forwards, and they seem to be persona non grata in any case. Balatoni has done the business in central defence, as our goals conceded record shows. He's also our top scorer since last week! If we don't sign him I can see him turning into another Scott Boyd or Andy Dowie, i.e. will get fixed up fast and cause us much grief in the future.

Does anyone know what kind of deal he's on? I'd agree with l.i.b, that if he's on a generous wage then we certainly need to consider funding other areas of the team where we're far shorter on bodies.

That said, it may be the case that he's on little more than a standard "up and coming" youth contract. If that's the case then he'd perhaps be a risk worth taking.

My god, he was chuffin dogs against Culter though :P

Let's say that Willie-K got injured again. Who do we have who could step in? Our youngsters seem to be entirely midfielders and forwards, and they seem to be persona non grata in any case. Balatoni has done the business in central defence, as our goals conceded record shows. He's also our top scorer since last week! If we don't sign him I can see him turning into another Scott Boyd or Andy Dowie, i.e. will get fixed up fast and cause us much grief in the future.

We've got Willie K and Robertson. In addition O'Donnell was signed as a right back/centre back and Paton has also played centre recently. Also I think Stevenson is right sided as well.

I'm not saying we shouldn't sign Conrad, offer him some sort of deal till the end of the season perhaps, I'm just not too sure we can justify any additional cost. As I said in a previous post if Balatoni has shown signs of being versatile, perhaps providing cover for two or three positions, then that would certainly make signing him an easier decision.

:yawn:

Does anyone know what kind of deal he's on? I'd agree with l.i.b, that if he's on a generous wage then we certainly need to consider funding other areas of the team where we're far shorter on bodies.

That said, it may be the case that he's on little more than a standard "up and coming" youth contract. If that's the case then he'd perhaps be a risk worth taking.

My god, he was chuffin dogs against Culter though :P

FFS you mentioned Culter again Grimlock! Surely ancient history by now. :yawn:

Give Balatoni some more backing guys - was not so long ago we used to watch Wille K through the gaps between our fingers