Paul Cairney

The Jagster

I'll admit that I was all for letting him go last year. To be fair, he's been different class this year. Maybe its been better training, maturity or better confidence under McNamara but he's improved significantly on previous seasons.

I reckon he'll go somewhere like St Mirren or Kilmarnock next season and he deserves a crack at the SPL. If we see similar improvements in other players (O'Donnell, Balatoni, Campbell for example) then we could do a lot better next year, but that's maybe a lot to hope for.

Best player we've had at Firhill in ages, and that includes Harkins. Absolute terrier of a player, with some excellent skills.

I actually think that if Dundee had got away with their cheating and could have kept Harkins and Griffiths they'd have been the champions this year.

I think Cairney is of similar importance to us at this stage.

I'll admit that I was all for letting him go last year. To be fair, he's been different class this year. Maybe its been better training, maturity or better confidence under McNamara but he's improved significantly on previous seasons.

I reckon he'll go somewhere like St Mirren or Kilmarnock next season and he deserves a crack at the SPL. If we see similar improvements in other players (O'Donnell, Balatoni, Campbell for example) then we could do a lot better next year, but that's maybe a lot to hope for.

I'm sure the club said he had some kind of illness which lasted several months and took more months to fully recover from. Since a lot of Cairney's game depends on his energy levels he went through a period where he was only half the player he is when he's at his best.

I'm sure the club said he had some kind of illness which lasted several months and took more months to fully recover from. Since a lot of Cairney's game depends on his energy levels he went through a period where he was only half the player he is when he's at his best.

That is true. All credit to Cairney for overcoming this, playing out his skin this season and inevitably getting an SPL move.

That is true. All credit to Cairney for overcoming this, playing out his skin this season and inevitably getting an SPL move.

If (when) he goes there is no doubt that he'll be missed. Is Bannigan the natural replacement? For such a youngster he already looks like a seasoned professional. Another excellent game yesterday; Sinclair wasn't missed at all.

I think that he's the best player in the division - can't see him anywere but the SPL next year.

I can't even grudge him the free transfer.

It's a pity, though. If an SPL team really wants him, the Jags should have got him to sign another contract on generous release terms. Even a 50/50 split of a 50K transfer fee (nothing for Hibs given their pending Cup Final) would have been better than zilch.

He did have a serious illness which affected him the last 2 seasons. I remember McCall said when he signed him that he would go on to bigger things so I'm not really surprised. It's just a shame that we haven't managed to achieve anything while he's been at the club.

I heard that Morton had offered him terms for next season - quite simply ridiculous.

Edited by ian_mac

He did have a serious illness which affected him the last 2 seasons. I remember McCall said when he signed him that he would go on to bigger things so I'm not really surprised. It's just a shame that we haven't managed to achieve anything while he's been at the club.

I heard that Morton had offered him terms for next season - quite simply ridiculous.

I think he said in the Evening Times that he wasn't interested in moving to another SFL club this summer. Whilst that can be construed as "will stay with Thistle" it more likely suggests "going to an SPL team".

He did have a serious illness which affected him the last 2 seasons.

While I don't doubt the impact illness had on him, I think there's a wee bit more to it than that. Basically, I think it was also a case of a bam playing under a bam when McCall was in charge. McNamara said at last year's EEOS 'meet the manager' night that he and Donnelly had spoken to Paul about his attitude. I think we can credit them for the more professional player we've witnessed this season. While credit must go to McCall for spotting his potential, praise must also go the the current management team for helping him through what appears to have been a bit of a rocky patch.

While I don't doubt the impact illness had on him, I think there's a wee bit more to it than that. Basically, I think it was also a case of a bam playing under a bam when McCall was in charge

Correct. He was left out of the squad on a few occassions because of his attitude. Was out on the bevvy a lot and eating shite before matchdays and training.

While I don't doubt the impact illness had on him, I think there's a wee bit more to it than that. Basically, I think it was also a case of a bam playing under a bam when McCall was in charge. McNamara said at last year's EEOS 'meet the manager' night that he and Donnelly had spoken to Paul about his attitude. I think we can credit them for the more professional player we've witnessed this season. While credit must go to McCall for spotting his potential, praise must also go the the current management team for helping him through what appears to have been a bit of a rocky patch.

Didn't Stephen Dobbie have a similar wayward attitude for a while and his career took a momentary tumble? I mind that he was one McCall's famous five targets a few seasons back. Not that we had any chance of getting Dobbie or indeed the other four but had it all come about Stephen would have been joining up with the aforementioned Willie Gibson & Richie Hart. Man management put to the test methinks..

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Didn't Stephen Dobbie have a similar wayward attitude for a while and his career took a momentary tumble? I mind that he was one McCall's famous five targets a few seasons back. Not that we had any chance of getting Dobbie or indeed the other four but had it all come about Stephen would have been joining up with the aforementioned Willie Gibson & Richie Hart. Man management put to the test methinks..

Dobbie was ready to sign for us but the board would not sanction his wages. David Beattie said it was his biggest regret not to step in and pay his wages himself.

Dobbie was ready to sign for us but the board would not sanction his wages. David Beattie said it was his biggest regret not to step in and pay his wages himself.

Not as bad as the old guard who refused to pay Motherwell £500 per week for John Sutton, when we were going for the title with St Johnstone and in badly of need of a striker. We ended up with Lucas Akins.

Another great decision by the Cowan, Hughes, Prentice shambolic regime.

Edited by northernsoul

Not as bad as the old guard who refused to pay Motherwell £500 per week for John Sutton, when we were going for the title with St Johnstone and in badly of need of a striker. We ended up with Lucas Akins.

Another great decision by the Cowan, Hughes, Prentice shambolic regime.

Pretty sure that isn't what happened at all. Sutton was at Wycombe, but available for transfer. Both us and Motherwell wanted him, and he went to Motherwell, who were obviously in the SPL. I only remember this as it has been brought up a few times on here over the years and just isn't true.

Pretty sure that isn't what happened at all. Sutton was at Wycombe, but available for transfer. Both us and Motherwell wanted him, and he went to Motherwell, who were obviously in the SPL. I only remember this as it has been brought up a few times on here over the years and just isn't true.

Nope, he was a Motherwell player at the time, not getting much game time, or out of the first team picture as I recall. We had the opportunity to take on loan for the remainder of the season and the board wouldn't show the slightest bit of ambition and pay £500 a week for 3/4 months.

It's 100% true.

And to think there was a board member at that time taking money out the Club.

Nope, he was a Motherwell player at the time, not getting much game time, or out of the first team picture as I recall. We had the opportunity to take on loan for the remainder of the season and the board wouldn't show the slightest bit of ambition and pay £500 a week for 3/4 months.

It's 100% true.

Wikipedia tells me he scored 12 goals in over 30 games that season (2008/09). I'm not sure if that amounts to being out of the first-team picture.

It's 100% true.

Sutton was actually on £1800 at Motherwell but McGhee was prepared to give us him for £500. The board said we couldn't do it and we got Akins instead.