The only thing I'd say if Robertson got a deal and was papped at centre back (most likely) is that there has to be someone beside him with pace. Him and Archie were run ragged and dragged all over the place by Livingston's youngsters in the 2v3 loss at Firhill.

That said I wouldn't mind him back and I don't think he done a lot wrong. I'm personally just a bit cautious because as tight as the wage budget is it seems, McNamara needs to get this centre back signing right if he really thinks we can challenge.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was between Keddie or Canning, I'd probably edge for Canning. Always quite liked Keddie even though he does have some "moments", decent big player at this level.

However, big Robertson deserves a deal and I wouldn't like to see either Canning or Keddie come in at his expense. I think people forget that Robertson is still relatively young, especially for a centre half, and I reckon he's shown himself to be a pretty able defender.

Good point re: Robertson, I genuinely had no idea and had him pegged about 28+. I thought he looked very cumbersome early in the season but overall I think he's done enough to earn a new deal, albeit I'd still like to see another centre half added if Jackie intends to go 3-5-2, although I suspect he might see Paton's future here given we have Murray and Rowson in central midfield. Would give us someone who can actually distribute the ball from defence with some accuracy, but a defence of Paton, Robertson Archie would worry me from a pace point of view.

Would rather have Robertson than Keddie certainly, not sure about Canning. Saying he had to put up with playing with Scott Boyd looks a bit silly when Boyd has just been one of the stand out players for a team who walked the league.

Lol, don't make me laugh, feck he's had Dowie and Boyd with him in recent seasons, he is left sided and if Archie is injured would be perfect cover, if Archie is not injured, having Keddie would allow Arch to play Centre of a 3.

Boyd pisses over Keddie. Last year he had guys like Ruti to make him look half decent. One of the reasons Dunfermline were so poor this season was having him and Dowie together at the back.

If it was between Keddie or Canning, I'd probably edge for Canning. Always quite liked Keddie even though he does have some "moments", decent big player at this level.

However, big Robertson deserves a deal and I wouldn't like to see either Canning or Keddie come in at his expense. I think people forget that Robertson is still relatively young, especially for a centre half, and I reckon he's shown himself to be a pretty able defender.

Agreed. I'm a bigger Robertson fan than most.

Edited by MWM

• Members

Don't fancy Robertson at the back at all. As mentioned above, the Livvy guys ran rings round him at Firhill in the 3-2 game and I thought he was badly at fault for the goal against QotS that knocked us out of the Cup. For a big guy, I feel he gets knocked off the ball too easily and my pet hate about our defence, he isn't aggressive enough.

Given that I reckoned that WK was our most aggressive defender (next to Paton), I'm really worried that we are going to be too soft at the back this coming season. We were too soft too often last season and the only thing that has changed is that our oldest defender is another year older. Anyone that says we only need to re-sign Robertson is soooo wrong IMO.

Boyd pisses over Keddie. Last year he had guys like Ruti to make him look half decent. One of the reasons Dunfermline were so poor this season was having him and Dowie together at the back.

Boyd is one of the weakest centre backs I've ever seen, he was with us and I've seen nothing to disprove that when he has played against us. Keddie is exactly what we are needing, a domineering left sided centre back. We do have Lyndsey to come back and he is left sided, but is he good enough? its all about opinions. As for Robertson he is fine for me but is right sided, it all depends where Jackie wants to play Paton.

Boyd is one of the weakest centre backs I've ever seen, he was with us and I've seen nothing to disprove that when he has played against us. Keddie is exactly what we are needing, a domineering left sided centre back. We do have Lyndsey to come back and he is left sided, but is he good enough? its all about opinions. As for Robertson he is fine for me but is right sided, it all depends where Jackie wants to play Paton.

Boyd seems to have breezed through the game whenever I've seen him since leaving us. An excellent defender in this league. He was only 20 or so when he left us.

Boyd was no-where near as bad with us as people make out. His distribution was poor, but he was solid enough for a lad of his age and was a threat from set pieces. He matured into one of the best defenders in the league. Probably one of the few things County fans would thank Dick Campbell for.

Boyd was no-where near as bad with us as people make out. His distribution was poor, but he was solid enough for a lad of his age and was a threat from set pieces. He matured into one of the best defenders in the league. Probably one of the few things County fans would thank Dick Campbell for.

if you read my post again, I never said Boyd was not a decent enough defender, i said he was weak, and still is, he is fast and uses the ball well enough. Would never say he was solid or powerfull. As for Archie over Keddie, no contest, Archie everytime, but other than Archie and the untested Lyndsey who do we have to fill the role?

That's two, at least. With Willie leaving I'd say the priority was a right-sided centre half. I'd have to disagree with the comments about Boyd being weak, too, if the reports I've read regarding the games between Falkirk and County are to be trusted. Sounds like he was one of the few defenders who wasn't bullied by el Alagui last season.

Scott Fox

Ryan Scully

Alan Archibald

Conrad Balatoni

Johnny Lindsay

Aaron Muirhead

Stephen O'Donnell

Paul Paton

Aaron Sinclair

Stuart Bannigan

Jamie Campbell

Chris Erskine

Hugh Murray

David Rowson

Sean Welsh

Steven Lawless

Kris Doolan

Christie Elliot

Shaun Fraser

Mark McGuigan

I'm sure someone will come up with a list of the other youngsters.

That's two, at least. With Willie leaving I'd say the priority was a right-sided centre half. I'd have to disagree with the comments about Boyd being weak, too, if the reports I've read regarding the games between Falkirk and County are to be trusted. Sounds like he was one of the few defenders who wasn't bullied by el Alagui last season.

We have 2 right sided backs in Paton and Balatoni. I think we need one more centre back, IMO he should be left sided. We need an additional goal scorer and I would be happy with the squad. We have cover in the full back positions and in midfield, just that wee bit more quality up front and a nailer at the back.

We need a striker and a centre half.

get those two in, and on paper, that is a great looking squad... it's then down to how the manager fits it all together.

anyone got any opinions on Muirhead, or heard anything. Is he left or right sided, and good enough to get a start?

If we can't get a centre half, we should get Robertson back in. i'd be happy with that.

and do we get an experienced striker, or a youthful loan from the SPL?

We need a striker and a centre half.

get those two in, and on paper, that is a great looking squad... it's then down to how the manager fits it all together.

anyone got any opinions on Muirhead, or heard anything. Is he left or right sided, and good enough to get a start?

If we can't get a centre half, we should get Robertson back in. i'd be happy with that.

Well there are rumours that Peter McDonald maybe coming to us but who knows if there is anything in them.

Also rumours that Dunfermline have not paid their players, if he was to accept lower wages would be pleased if Buchanan came back than signing Macdonald

That's a difficult one. By "experienced striker" we'd really be talking about a player at the end of his career or heading that way though I suppose there's one or two injury jinxed/prone strikers a good bit younger available. A young loanee might seem the better option but our own forwards wouldn't benefit from the experience an older pro would bring.

If we sign a forward that plays better than Liam Buchanan did in the last quarter of the past season I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Well there are rumours that Peter McDonald maybe coming to us but who knows if there is anything in them.

Also rumours that Dunfermline have not paid their players, if he was to accept lower wages would be pleased if Buchanan came back than signing Macdonald

Buchanan? No thanks. Please don't make him the latest player you become obsessed with, your fans prefer it when it's someone a bit more left-field.

Buchanan? No thanks. Please don't make him the latest player you become obsessed with, your fans prefer it when it's someone a bit more left-field.

What a surprise you and another one of your 'my alleged obsessions post'. Seems to be everytime I post your then posting about who you are accusing me of being obsessed with. Seems to me your the one whose becoming a bit obsessed with a fixation on who I am supposedly obsessed with.

For the record I ain't obsessed with anyone am happily married thanks to my wife who is the centre of my life and before you start she is not called Liam Or Damon or whatever obsession you think I have that is fast becoming an obsession of yours.

Edited by Third Lanark