I'm Off!

iain

I don't sign in very often and rarely post, but I do enjoy reading the posts as they keep me up to date with what's happening with the Jags and some can be quite clever and quite funny.

However I am now going to give the site a rest for a while. You see, I've just got fed up with the self-righteous tone of many of the posts and the continual threats of boycott etc.

Yes, Rangers should start in the third division, there is no need to debate it. But hey, sh*t happens and life’s not always f*****g fair. This is not life and death morality, its football, and we know all about FIFA’s principles, were not in their league in terms of immorality, and never will be.

The board is taking a lot of criticism just now, and I don’t think it’s really justified. I have no great knowledge of their collective worth. I don’t think I have even had a conversation with a board member in all the years I have been following the Jags. However I know it’s a lot easier to take the moral high ground when you don’t have any responsibility and you don’t need to pay the bills. So I’m going to back our board, in whatever decision they make, and I’ll trust them to make that decision with the best interests of PTFC and football at heart.

To all those people who won’t return if the decision doesn’t go their way. Good luck to you. It’s your money, your time and your prerogative. It does seem however that many of the people who say they won’t be back were kind of looking for an excuse to stop going anyway. After 50 years of watching the Jags I can understand that. Although I’ve not reached that point yet myself, if I do, I hope I’ll just admit I’ve had enough, and disappear quietly.

Anyway, I am going to watch Partick Thistle next year,a t every opportunity I can. Me, my grandchildren (whenever they’ve been bad) and anyone else I can drag along. Maybe see you there!

C’mon the Jags and FTOF.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's threatening boycotts?

As for self righteous:

To all those people who won’t return if the decision doesn’t go their way. Good luck to you. It’s your money, your time and your prerogative. It does seem however that many of the people who say they won’t be back were kind of looking for an excuse to stop going anyway.

I wasn't looking for a reason btw.

Will say this though & the current BoD would do well to remember they are custodians of the club who, many of them, have recently appeared on the scene and like a good salesman selling ice to the eskimos have carved up a deal to sell 50% of the ground to themselves.

You've made your decision, many more have made there's also.

I don't necessarily think a new thread was required to take the moral high ground (& things that have been said).

I think on the whole one side respects the other & doesn't want to fall out with other jags fans who have the opposite view to them.

Like you said, their perogative.

I'm probably exactly the sort of person Iain's not happy with. So we can agree to differ, but let's not have any cobblers about people looking for reasons to walk away. People are crying out for reasons to love their club and feel proud of the stand it has taken. It's the biggest open goal ever offered to a board of directors and all they need to do to have people throwing money at them is stand up for what's right without any further humming and hawing and "yes, but, no, but' rubbish.

It's a sitter. Please, please, please, stick it away and let's get on with the season we were meant to have.

I'm probably exactly the sort of person Iain's not happy with. So we can agree to differ, but let's not have any cobblers about people looking for reasons to walk away. People are crying out for reasons to love their club and feel proud of the stand it has taken. It's the biggest open goal ever offered to a board of directors and all they need to do to have people throwing money at them is stand up for what's right without any further humming and hawing and "yes, but, no, but' rubbish.

It's a sitter. Please, please, please, stick it away and let's get on with the season we were meant to have.

The board appear to be deaf!

Completely agree Iain , can't believe that fans (many of whom have been going for decades) are willing to stop supporting and ultimately allow their club to die over an issue involving another club and how the authorities deal with them . Some are threatening to leave even if the board say no but the authorities say yes . Would these fans be making such a hysterical stand if it didn't involve the old firm ? Can't imagine this reaction if everyone was bending over to accommodate Albion rovers . The bottom line is board personnel , sfa/sfl figures come and go . Corruption , dodgy deals happen all the time but the one thing that keePs the game alive is the supporters supporting their club . Where was the protests for the unfair tv deals , 11-1 voting , one promotion place , Dundee going into admin twice . Why should clubs die because rangers get preferential treatment . Their very existence creates a rivalry , something to hate . I remember fondly most games against the OF win or lose , the atmosphere , underlying threat of violence and on the rare occasion we got a result absolute joy . Certainly more exciting than a home game with Cowdenbeath . I enjoy watching thistle and would not give that up and allow them to die in protest against rangers . We could all find something else to do on a saturday but passion for a football club is difficult to recreate it's a unique feeling . We could pick and choose to travel the country and watch different teams but what a soulless existence with no real feeling for anything .

Completely agree Iain , can't believe that fans (many of whom have been going for decades) are willing to stop supporting and ultimately allow their club to die over an issue involving another club and how the authorities deal with them . Some are threatening to leave even if the board say no but the authorities say yes . Would these fans be making such a hysterical stand if it didn't involve the old firm ? Can't imagine this reaction if everyone was bending over to accommodate Albion rovers . The bottom line is board personnel , sfa/sfl figures come and go . Corruption , dodgy deals happen all the time but the one thing that keePs the game alive is the supporters supporting their club . Where was the protests for the unfair tv deals , 11-1 voting , one promotion place , Dundee going into admin twice . Why should clubs die because rangers get preferential treatment . Their very existence creates a rivalry , something to hate . I remember fondly most games against the OF win or lose , the atmosphere , underlying threat of violence and on the rare occasion we got a result absolute joy . Certainly more exciting than a home game with Cowdenbeath . I enjoy watching thistle and would not give that up and allow them to die in protest against rangers . We could all find something else to do on a saturday but passion for a football club is difficult to recreate it's a unique feeling . We could pick and choose to travel the country and watch different teams but what a soulless existence with no real feeling for anything .

Albion Rovers would have been left to duie like Third Lanark and Clydebank :(

Albion Rovers would have been left to duie like Third Lanark and Clydebank :(

That's it exactly. Our division is being stitched up so that the defunct h u n s can get promoted asap for their own sake and the sake of the SPL, and we (the SFL) are being bribed and bullied into breaking all the rules to allow this.

I'm looking forward to seeing how well our team develops in the season just about to start, but depending on what happens with Sevco, I might never get to see Thistle or any other team playing under the SFA banner. I don't want to see my money spent on ultimately supporting another (cheating) club and another league (the SPL).

I don't sign in very often and rarely post, but I do enjoy reading the posts as they keep me up to date with what's happening with the Jags and some can be quite clever and quite funny.

However I am now going to give the site a rest for a while. You see, I've just got fed up with the self-righteous tone of many of the posts and the continual threats of boycott etc.

Yes, Rangers should start in the third division, there is no need to debate it. But hey, sh*t happens and life’s not always f*****g fair. This is not life and death morality, its football, and we know all about FIFA’s principles, were not in their league in terms of immorality, and never will be.

The board is taking a lot of criticism just now, and I don’t think it’s really justified. I have no great knowledge of their collective worth. I don’t think I have even had a conversation with a board member in all the years I have been following the Jags. However I know it’s a lot easier to take the moral high ground when you don’t have any responsibility and you don’t need to pay the bills. So I’m going to back our board, in whatever decision they make, and I’ll trust them to make that decision with the best interests of PTFC and football at heart.

To all those people who won’t return if the decision doesn’t go their way. Good luck to you. It’s your money, your time and your prerogative. It does seem however that many of the people who say they won’t be back were kind of looking for an excuse to stop going anyway. After 50 years of watching the Jags I can understand that. Although I’ve not reached that point yet myself, if I do, I hope I’ll just admit I’ve had enough, and disappear quietly.

Anyway, I am going to watch Partick Thistle next year,a t every opportunity I can. Me, my grandchildren (whenever they’ve been bad) and anyone else I can drag along. Maybe see you there!

C’mon the Jags and FTOF.

About time somebody said this. The board should do what's best for thistle. I won't let the jags die for anyone. I'll be back this season as usual.

Well said, Iain. As usual, anyone not with the programme gets accused of claiming to be a 'super fan' or going for some kind of 'moral superiority'. Seems to me, that there are a few folk on here who say that everyone's entitled to their view, but are quite happy to make supercilious comments about anyone who disagrees with them.

For what its worth, I agree with your comments 100%. Scottish football is not about Rangers. Rangers are dead. Whatever club lurches from the grave, it won't be Glasgow Rangers, no matter what their fans (and their fans in the tabloids) claim - and I know a few Rangers supporters who are already acknowledging that. I'm passed caring whether they play in the First or the Third. If a good enough deal can be struck, then let it be the First. As for 'sporting integrity', don't make me laugh. Professional football has never been about integrity. All that's happening at the moment is that the harsh realities of the amalgamation of commerce and sport are being played out in public for all to see.

Wherever the team-formerly-known-as-Glasgow-Rangers end up, there's no guarantee that they'll even see out the season. And again, I'm passed caring. Scottish football will go on. What I want to see is a successful Thistle team on the park in season 2012-13. And it looks like we might just have that. So come on the Jags!

As Iain said in his self righteous statement, "it's their prerogative."

Nobody, myself included is telling people to boycott etc, they are simply making their feelings clear.

Some disagree with my, & others, point of view re PTFC/Newco/Scottish Football.

Their prerogative!

My gripe with the initial poster was him accusing others of being self righteous whereas his post was exactly that.

I've made my decision no longer to spend £260+ a season on PTFC/ Scottish Football if Div 1 going to be a fix next season. No point.

Like others I was looking forward to a promotion push this season. Unfortunately it seems the custodians of this club are, in my opinion, more interested in casing quick fix monetary wise than the long term future of PTFC/Scottish Football.

I've said before but I can't genuinely justify the outlay to myself never mind anyone else if the games a bogey before we start!

I genuinely hope things go the way those, like me, are looking for this Friday so we can purchase tickets & 'enjoy' the season.

I'm not going to hold my breath though.

Totally fair comments Iain. As you say the board's statements have come from a business point of view and running a solvent successful club is their remit.

Unfortunately the sfa and Spl are taking this to extremes and trying to force through half arsed changes to preserve the ghost of a club that was wholly responsible for its own demise. This scaremongering about Scottish football is ripping our clubs apart. The beaks know what the malcontents find just about acceptable, newco in sfl 3. Not a severe punishment considering the mess that they are in.

I just hope the fans thoughts are taken into account.

What's the point in putting newco in div 1 then they go bust again half way through the season? Livi had to put up a bond just to get back in div3, they were only in administration.

Careful what you wish for, and don't believe the hype/tripe.

There is a risk here that taking the attitude of 'your not getting the money if you don't agree with our views and terms' is just the same kind of bribery and bullying tactics being employed by the other side - whoever the other side is from your point of view!

Cause and Effect.

No Thistle fan would start off their thinking with "you ain't getting my money this season" Heaven forbid. This the effect.

The cause is the disgusting behaviour of Scottish Football Authorities and some club boards over an extended period.

Here's another : Lose Integrity ==> Lose Fans

If our PTFC Board showed to us that Integrity mattered then I'm pretty sure it would bolster support for this club and maybe win us some new fans who would admire us.

There is a risk here that taking the attitude of 'your not getting the money if you don't agree with our views and terms' is just the same kind of bribery and bullying tactics being employed by the other side - whoever the other side is from your point of view!

But if the clubs are saying put sentiment and sporting notions aside and take a purely business viewpoint, they can hardly gripe if people make a financial judgment on the outcome. What they seem to want is for them to take purely financial decisions and fans to take purely sentimental ones. Well, that's a business gamble and it's theirs to make.

Bottom line noone should take pro Sevco bullying or blackmail from any source. They are a dead duck for the foreseeable future.

It's getting a bit like trying to re-house a convicted sex attacker. Do we put them next to the school? No.

Next to the swing park? No.

We place in the countryside or seaside under close supervision?

Yes!