Arr Craib Cup

Lionel J. Botch

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total attendance 1476 apparently. It had the potential to be much higher than that.

Goodness that's low! There were so many Police around I think they were expecting at least twice that. I certainly thought the Celtic turnout was pretty appauling.

Still, with season ticket holders getting in free, Everton fans and Aidrie fans up for playing Celtic it should be higher tomorrow. Hopefully.

Just from my point of view here is the changes that should have been made:

1. Everton game on first with some sort of service running between Firhill and Fir Park so that Everton fans could make both games. Maximising potential of a bigger crowd.

2. Celtic in the second game as a 3 o'clock kick off may have seen a higher turn out.

3. Perforated tickets for games 1 & 2 so fans could pop down to the local for a pint or 2.

4. Some sort of entertainment between games (some sort of fan interaction i.e. Small scale Firhill cup.)

5. Both days free for season ticket holders or at least given some incentive (free programme or daft wristband they were selling outside the ground today)

Good idea with massive potential that just didn't work. Better planning next year would see a better pay off. I'm only a 3rd year Events Management student but would gladly get involved if it was to be repeated next year.

Edited by DazzJag

Dazzjag. Points 3 & 4, it had been the intention to allow fans to come & go as they please, this was changed at short notice & left little time for other arrangements to be made, like what you mention in your last point.

Our game kicking off at 3pm may well have brought out a bigger support but looking at how many Celtic brought for the 12pm game, I don't see the difference being that much for a 3pm kick-off. We'll never know.

Running a bus between the 2 games sounds like a good idea but we wouldn't have the money to supply that, don't see why Motherwell/Everton would fund it either. In theory a good idea but not something that I think would have brought in many more supporters.

Hopefully the Everton fans that were at Fir Park today head over to Firhill tomorrow for the final, don't see there being anymore Celtic fans than there was today.

Not a traditional club basher ,but they need to have a good look at themselves. Charging £15 and £10 obviously put people off. I'd mates who were coming but decided against it, when they heard the price. I paid £25 today (season tickets tomorrow) to watch a Celtic YOUTH team,not even reserves.

The Celtic crowd confirmed this and overall bad planning. A tournament only works with 4 first teams. We should have left it the same as last year. 3pm versus Celtic and nothing else.

Some good points made.

I can't see how it could be termed value for money if a parent taking along a couple of kids would be out of pocket £35. And if there's ever a time when family packages should be taken extra seriously it would be on occasions such as today and tomorrow. The counter argument to that would be you're getting two games for the price of one and we look after the kids for 18 league games.

Bottom line not being able to make a day of it and no provision for kids killed it as a crowd puller. Playing our game today second would have made an improvement but tbh I feel that would've been barely marginal.

Should really add that getting folk to turn up for what's little more than a couple of friendlies is never going to be easy so I don't think anyone should be too critical. From the playing side there's that bit more edge to the two games and that could be valuable.

I know how dare the club ask Thistle fans with kids to actually pay for their kids to attend for a change! jeez!

I get that £10 is not exactly cheap but you get 2 games for that and a full day out - oh lets not forget your kid goes free all season!

Sorry but to complain because you have to pay for your kid is just ridiculous - if you were a fan of any other club you would be paying that week in week out during the league!

Well done to the club for me the only thing they got right was making the pricing fair for everyone!

Hopefully it happens again and is a bit better organised!

£15 for a friendly against a youth team is good value? It was two adults who changed their mind ,when they heard £15. Who was genuinely going to wait 30 minutes to watch 2nd division Airdrie versus a Everton youth team, with only one of them playing a EPL league game.

Edited by jasmclaughlin

£15 for a friendly against a youth team is good value? It was two adults who changed their mind ,when they heard £15. Who was genuinely going to wait 30 minutes to watch 2nd division Airdrie versus a Everton youth team, with only one of them playing a EPL league game.

I don't think I actually said it was good value what I said was it was fair pricing for everyone rather than the usual "Lets do a great deal for people with children and screw over those who don't."

Infact what would have been nice of the club is if people with season tickets got both games free.

Our prices don't really work when you take out the under 16s free part, but it would be good to have something like an under 12's weekend pass for £10 or something like that. That would be good value in my view.

It's always an uphill struggle to attract fans to friendlies, even fairly big ones. At least the idea was popular, so let's hope they take the feedback on board if they try something like this again.

The only thing we can really gather from this whole tournament is that Thistle fans can’t help their bloody windging, regardless of what the club do.

I thought coming on the forum tonight would be a happy place seems we actually won, and all in all, it wasn’t a bad day out…but once again it's a sanatorium for the morbidly depressed.

The only thing we can really gather from this whole tournament is that Thistle fans can’t help their bloody windging, regardless of what the club do.

I thought coming on the forum tonight would be a happy place seems we actually won, and all in all, it wasn’t a bad day out…but once again it's a sanatorium for the morbidly depressed.

This :thumbsup2:

I went along yesterday and am glad I did because Thistle looked excellent. I appreciate that Celtic fielded mainly youth players (although I am sure I've heard Twardzik, the Czech midfielder, touted as possibly first team next season - he was rubbish; and Rasmussen is an occasional first XI striker) but we looked good, passed it well (on a great pitch - let's hope it stays like a bowling green), and in general gave me some optimism for the season ahead.

I left after the Thistle game and I agree that the day was a bit disorganised (no entertainment, no possibility of going out and coming back - not enough time to do that really even if it had been allowed), but it was still a good run out for us.

Hope Sinclair is OK; took a bad head knock 1st half.

There is that happy place you're looking for, if you go to the "just in" thread.

Our game was good to watch and the result satisfying but if you believe the day as a whole was a success then maybe you weren't there. It was over-priced, disorganised, probably cost too much to put on and definitely was no incentive to go back today.

Thistle would probably have made more money just organising a couple of Saturday friendlies at Firhill.

Edited by scotty

I know how dare the club ask Thistle fans with kids to actually pay for their kids to attend for a change! jeez!

I get that £10 is not exactly cheap but you get 2 games for that and a full day out - oh lets not forget your kid goes free all season!

Sorry but to complain because you have to pay for your kid is just ridiculous - if you were a fan of any other club you would be paying that week in week out during the league!

Well done to the club for me the only thing they got right was making the pricing fair for everyone!

Hopefully it happens again and is a bit better organised!

Now you are really going to be shocked here but I totally agree with you.

There is a scheme on the go this season where kids U16 get a free season ticket. So a parent could have got that, paid tenner for Saturday, for the kid, saw the two games then he kid got in free for today's two games. Then get in free for 18 league matches. So the tenner spent would cover a total of 22 games. That's less that £0.50p a match.

Just don't think anyone can complain, or at least should complain about that.

Only thing I'd say is I'm not sure it was badly organised, just may be didn't meet the expectation some had.

To be fair on thistle i don't think there would have been an hour between games if they realised people couldn't come and go. Police approach to this and numbers there were a joke, although may have been based on the numbers celtic brought last year. However last year the main team wasn't in amsterdam...

My mate,whose an everton fan, brought his son and they enjoyed it. His son got a photo with jackie so was well chuffed. He also said "i can't lose tomorrow as both my teams are in the final". So hope for the future for him dragging his dad to firhill.

Firhill Cup was a complete fail.

Crap crowd and a ridiculous number of police that we paid for, on the way out there were about 10 of them in the Alan Rough Suite, we can't have made much if anything from this,

Do us all a favour and go back to playing a random wee English team away for the big pre season away event.

The game was alright but charging season ticket holders £15 for it was a pisstake.

To be fair on thistle i don't think there would have been an hour between games if they realised people couldn't come and go. Police approach to this and numbers there were a joke, although may have been based on the numbers celtic brought last year. However last year the main team wasn't in amsterdam...

Police presence yesterday would have been overkill even if the same number of fans as last year turned out. I'm sure it will have resulted in our club making a loss on this.

Firhill Cup was a complete fail.

Crap crowd and a ridiculous number of police that we paid for, on the way out there were about 10 of them in the Alan Rough Suite, we can't have made much if anything from this,

Do us all a favour and go back to playing a random wee English team away for the big pre season away event.

The game was alright but charging season ticket holders £15 for it was a pisstake.

Bit out of date is it not. Firhill Cup was in May! You really have to work on your names.