Two Players Leave

G SUS

Does anybody know if Jamie campbell is injured? He could be another one on his way out the club.

I think Campbell could still make it. He's solid as a right wing-back and is a flying machine when he gets going - never realised how quick he was until a reserve game last year. However, if he still sees himself as a central midfielder then he might be joining Fraser and Lindsay.

Lindsay was a little unlucky as we signed Sinclair soon after his arrival who hasn't looked back since and, now with the emergence of Bannigan, he was never going to get a start at left-back. That said, from the limited number of times I've seen him, I don't think he's much of a left-back and is better at centre-half where he would have faced even fiercer competition for a place. He's still young though and, as there remains a relative dearth of left footed players in the lower leagues, I'm sure he'll find a new club.

Fraser looked like he'd begun to knuckle down and had gotten into decent shape but I feel it's probably too little, too late. Physically, he could have probably done a job for us but, because he was rugby player until a few years ago, his technique wasn't up to the standard that Jackie seems to demand. Again, like Lindsay, he has time on his side and maybe this will act as a bit of a wake-up call.

Interesting to see whether we look to bring someone else in now that we've got two wages freed up...

My thoughts exactly. We need a left-sided central defender asap. Could Sinclair play there if required? He's over 6 foot tall.

We were discussing Sinclair at the game on Saturday; I think he could do a decent job in the position Erskine played. Don't see him playing at centre-half, think his talents would be somewhat wasted there.

We were discussing Sinclair at the game on Saturday; I think he could do a decent job in the position Erskine played. Don't see him playing at centre-half, think his talents would be somewhat wasted there.

I was only thinking of Sinclair as an emergency centre-back. Bannigan would be better in Erskine's position with Sinclair at left-back/wing-back.

I was only thinking of Sinclair as an emergency centre-back. Bannigan would be better in Erskine's position with Sinclair at left-back/wing-back.

Hmm, I'd disagree about Bannigan; I think he is better both positionally and tactically at wing-back than Sinclair. Sinclair's pace got him out of a few problems last year, not too dissimilar to how Twads used to get caught out. I think Sinclair's direct style would be quite effective in a more attacking position.

Hmm, I'd disagree about Bannigan; I think he is better both positionally and tactically at wing-back than Sinclair. Sinclair's pace got him out of a few problems last year, not too dissimilar to how Twads used to get caught out. I think Sinclair's direct style would be quite effective in a more attacking position.

Good problems and bad problems and fitting both Sinclair & Bannigan into the team is of the former type. Everything about Bannigan at the moment is positive and it would be very difficult to justify leaving him out a starting eleven.

Both players are better played as wing-backs than as orthodox full backs. Using wing-backs in effect means one less attacking midfield place to find for Bannigan should Sinclair play. With goals from midfield going to be crucial, on pre-season form Lawless and Welsh are more than likely starters. Wouldn't be surprised then if Sinclair misses out for a game or two.

As said it's a good problem to have at the moment tho' undoubtedly a difficult one to take for one or two players who've done little wrong.

If we were to get another player in, due to these two departures then it has to be a centre back for me. If we managed to get a reliable centre back with some decent experience then I'd be more confident about the season ahead.

Yes but who is available that can we afford?

Just because we release a couple of younger players doesn't necessarily mean that it frees up a wage. Jackie may well have been over budget and knew he would have to release a mainstream player or a couple of youngsters. He may just have been deciding who had to go.

I suspect if money was available a tried and tested left sided centre back would be high on the priority, I'm sure Archie's position is easy enough covered for a game or too but an extended spell out, not that unlikely an occurrence, could be problematic. Money there or not I haven't a clue who that player could be.

• 1 month later...