The New Shed – A Cynic’S View

CCjag

I genuinely hope that the initiative of relocating the more voluble members of our support into the North Stand behind the goals will work and that there will be sufficient numbers to generate sufficient noise to motivate the team and generate some of the long-missing atmosphere around Firhill.

But will it, and is the motivation really to enhance the atmosphere or simply to address what is seen by some as the perennial problem of hospitality guests being inconvenienced by close proximity to the lumpenproletariat???

Let’s examine the logic.

Despite the very good intentions leading up to" sell out Saturday" – it won’t – sell out that is!

There may be a bounce in attendances, and that will be welcome at every level, but will it be sustained?

All the evidence of long and sometimes painful decades following The Jags suggests that good intentions do not fill stadia.

Nor does good football, despite all the nonsense spouted by pundits who should know better.

A winning team is the only things that guarantees a permanent upswing in posteriors in positions – and then only as long as the winning run continues.

If it is accepted that vocal support is a significant contributory factor in achieving that run of success, then is the decibel level really going to be raised by splitting our support rather than concentrating it in the Jackie Husband Stand?

Further, should our singing section of fans be content with the worst view in the stadium?

After all, who when given a choice, opts for a seat behind the goals instead of along the touchline?

My fears are that:

• by dividing we will not rule;
  • that after the initial euphoria wears off, the numbers in the North Stand will fill only a small proportion of the seats available;
  • that the first sight for teams emerging at Firhill will ultimately be far from intimidating gaps in the Jackie Husband stand ;

To reiterate, I genuinely hope it works since anything that enhances the atmosphere and provides a stimulus for the team is to be welcomed.

The cynic in me, however, questions both the logic and the motivation!

“A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist!”

Sir Humphrey Appleby (attrib.)

I agree it's worth a try, but I also think that further splitting the crowd could have a detrimental effect on the atmosphere in the Jackie Husband Stand. If you accept that realistically there will be a around 2000 home fans, then removing a few hundred into the north stand will inevitably make a difference.

I'd quite like to see the club experiment with the old main stand. Around 100 Airdrie fans were able to make a fair bit of noise from up there. Just a thought, but maybe something to consider.

I agree it's worth a try, but I also think that further splitting the crowd could have a detrimental effect on the atmosphere in the Jackie Husband Stand. If you accept that realistically there will be a around 2000 home fans, then removing a few hundred into the north stand will inevitably make a difference.

I'd quite like to see the club experiment with the old main stand. Around 100 Airdrie fans were able to make a fair bit of noise from up there. Just a thought, but maybe something to consider.

Main stand was discussed but unfortunately wasn't an option. Because of it's structure, the stewarding costs are extremely high. In order for the main stand to break even financially it has to be full

Main stand was discussed but unfortunately wasn't an option. Because of it's structure, the stewarding costs are extremely high. In order for the main stand to break even financially it has to be full

Shame. I used to sit in the main stand when it was choice between it and the JH (bogs could do with an upgrade though :shok: ).

The head,shoulders,knees and toes song for Jackie is the best song for a while.well done the creator!

I think it's the hoakey-koaky tune, but it's very good.

As I've said elsewhere, the atmosphere was very good, best at a league game for quite a while, and I take back the bad things I said. Not sure how well it'll work with a smaller crowd (especially a smaller away crowd) be we'll probably find that out against Dumbarton. It the atmosphere's good then, I'll be sold.

• Members

Do you get to keep the hi-vis vest ;) ?

Handed back at the start of the game. That'll teach me to volunteer my help, missed the first two goals!!! :sad1:

What happened to the season ticket holders' gate? I had to queue with the oi polloi :yellow_card::lol: .

If I had a pound for every person that moaned about that today at me, I'd have had a free Season Ticket!!! :D In fact, I'm getting a t-shirt made for the next home game.... "Get it off your chest, have a moan here £1"

THIS IS NOT TRUE.

How do you know it's not true, do you work at the club?

And they have never lied or been economical with the truth to the Thistle support in the past.

So it must be true.

The problems with stewarding the main stand are common knowledge and well documented. If the club opened the main stand for 200 fans they would make a loss on those paying customers.

Apart from anything else, being in the north stand means we are closer to the JH and the singing can sometimes spread to there, which happened a couple of times yesterday.

Just a thought............

Could it not be possible for the front standing area of the Main Stand to be used for a "noisy supporters group" and not use other parts of the "costly" stand?

Stewarding would then be limited and escape from any danger made easy by direct acces to the pitch?

It would be interesting to find out what that option might cost versus the potential benefits to the match experience (and attendance) in having our fans caling out directing in front of the JHS.

Worthy of an experiment??

Could it not be possible for the front standing area of the Main Stand to be used for a "noisy supporters group" and not use other parts of the "costly" stand?

Stewarding would then be limited and escape from any danger made easy by direct acces to the pitch?

It would be interesting to find out what that option might cost versus the potential benefits to the match experience (and attendance) in having our fans caling out directing in front of the JHS.

it is shuggie.anything is worth a try

This. I would love to move across and sing my heart out but being stuck behind the goal at home games is putting me off.

Edited by johnnylambieslovechild

I'm all for suggestions but, for me, Saturday is my favourite Thistle game in a long time and that's entirely due to what the OneThistle guys did with The New Shed. Any move to the Main Stand would lose the banter from being so close to the away fans - we wouldn't have seen peachy's peach t-shirt for a start.

My feedback - keep it exactly like it is. It was brilliant. I just hope a) the speakers get switched on next time and B) some more people move across so we can make even more noise.