Ballgirl

jagielka

I don't know what's in the deal. Do you? Have you seen the contract?

MacB says Firhill being "family friendly" is crucial to it's sponsorship. "Firhill is a special place – as far as we’re concerned, there’s nowhere else like it in Scottish football quite like it, from its rich history, to the fact it’s so family-friendly."

"That’s why we’re delighted to be able to offer this support to Partick Thistle to help them fund great initiatives like ‘Kids Go Free’ and the ‘Mates’ Rates’ season ticket offer."

That a very clear statement to me. No brand that is targeted at families and children would want to associate it itself with fans who delight in swearing and abusing the opposition.

If my views make me a "West End luvvie", so be it. It's better than being than a potty-mouthed git.

Are you honestly serious?

How long have you been going to football games?

I very much doubt that anyone from macb is naive enough to think that there are no swear words at the football.

I would be very sceptical of pandering to their needs anyway, let's at least wait until they've managed to sustain their business for a whole 12 months eh? There are only so many law firms who will step in half way through a season.

Your reasons given for dwindling crowds are also totally wide of the mark. Football is traditionally a working class sport and the increased gate prices coupled with the introduction of all seater stadia are widely recognised to be the reasons for crowds falling over the years.

I think any parent that takes their child to the football is sensible enough to realise that there will be some bad language, within reason.

As a now retired ball boy the subject of having the younger ball boys/girls in front of the noisy/sweary fans has been raised. Myself and another one of the more older boys used to sit in front of the North Stand for 3 seasons as they were worried about the language the younger ones would hear. Unfortunately it is a very hard subject to tackle. As for what can be done about it , the answer is very little. You will hear the same words at every corner of the ground so it is very unfair to point out some supporters in particular.

:wall: I absolutely despair at times, there is a kids zone to keep the kids nice and safe, there's the shed (Over 16's) to keep the riff raff away from the JHS & the kids, now we want to keep the ballboys/girls away from bad words, have you ever paid any attention to the big bad world outside our fastly becoming sanitized ground?? The players swear and shout at each other, people on the street, the telly, the buses (maybe keep them away from the buses lots of low life on that Public transport), in every walk of life.

Ok lets ban all swearing, what next...... shouting incase it upsets someone, maybe singing may disturb someone lets cut that out too, oh and clapping way too noisy, and people that have a smoke or a drink before they come smell like pubs can't have that. in fact everyone sit 5 seats apart on their hands to keep everything aceptable.

Total overkill and over sanitizing the game is killing it!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

kni - are you privvy to some information that would show that the current deal is at threat by the way things are done at firhill? If not, i wouldnt worry since i dont think there has been any qualitative change in the way things are at firhill that made them do the deal in the first place...., indeed taking the more "vocal" part of the support to another stand would surely further strenghn that.

Im in agreeance with views stated here, its been the alienation of football from its traditional franchise (working class peeps) thats had a bigger impact, and a lot of that can be situated via the direction of sanitising the sport.

Anyway, hows this for an idea, taking your logic a wee bit further. Hows about the club could sell the fans chants to shout the names of sponsors for a few extra grand in the coffers. Would you be up for that?

So is entry to the North Stand now on looks alone? The way it's shaping up only Mods and other fashionable types will be allowed entry. Some may even approve... my son for one B) I'm not condoning the use of foul and abusive language when minors are about, but was there any need for that outburst? The guys in question - if it's who I think you're referring to - were standing to the left of our usual spot and were loud but I didn't hear anything that was that bad.

On a more serious note, some folk have been banned from this forum for making allegedly hurtful posts. Maybe the guy in question was just recovering after a hard night at his favourite jazz club. Least he was there and paid his money...

least he was there and payed his money. well thats ok then. sorry. as for fashion, does not matter if your wareing a three piece suit, or hand me downs, if your a potty mouth fan then thats what you are,

So let me get this straight "jagielka"

You are disgusted that a ballgirl was in earshot of some swear words, at a football match.

But, you think it's quite acceptable to call someone a "junkie" when you know absolutely nothing about them. Other than the fact they support the same football team as you.

:wall: I absolutely despair at times, there is a kids zone to keep the kids nice and safe, there's the shed (Over 16's) to keep the riff raff away from the JHS & the kids, now we want to keep the ballboys/girls away from bad words, have you ever paid any attention to the big bad world outside our fastly becoming sanitized ground?? The players swear and shout at each other, people on the street, the telly, the buses (maybe keep them away from the buses lots of low life on that Public transport), in every walk of life.

Ok lets ban all swearing, what next...... shouting incase it upsets someone, maybe singing may disturb someone lets cut that out too, oh and clapping way too noisy, and people that have a smoke or a drink before they come smell like pubs can't have that. in fact everyone sit 5 seats apart on their hands to keep everything aceptable.

Total overkill and over sanitizing the game is killing it!!!!!!!!!

whats any of this got to do with the wee girl being put behind the goal at that end, i was just asking the wisdom of whoever is in charge of the ball boys/girl. dont forget, the young girl could not just get up and go to another part of the ground. 2/3 times she herself turned around to see who was shouting the stuff. 45 mins of non stop abuse of the keeper, i was getting fed up with it myself. and im not a west end anything. im a shipyard/construction worker, but im there to watch my team, not to be distracted by drunks, thats all.

Partick Thistle was not founded as been "family friendly" as a matter of principle. Yes, we are a club that has generally stayed clear of the sectarian issues that surround the other two clubs, and welcome people of all ages, creeds etc, but I'd feel pretty annoyed if we were to pander to conform with commercial companies like MacB and their image of what Partick Thistle should be.

Even though many clubs have feebly tried to stop swearing at games, the use of swear words at the football has generally been seen as a social norm for centuries, and is going absolutely nowhere soon. I remember being no more than 5 years old and going to games and hearing swearing which I didn't repeat as I'd been told not to by my folks. I haven't turned out a lout. This entire subject is a gross overreaction of something that goes on at every ground and every team on the planet.

I'm all for getting the younger ones into Firhill, and I'm sure being a ballboy/girl is a great experience, but the kids at pitchside as stated above, will hear the players swear on the park as well as all sections of Firhill, not just The Shed (which has done more than anything to boost the atmosphere on matchday).

Finally, read my signature below.

So let me get this straight "jagielka"

You are disgusted that a ballgirl was in earshot of some swear words, at a football match.

But, you think it's quite acceptable to call someone a "junkie" when you know absolutely nothing about them. Other than the fact they support the same football team as you.

some swear words!! try 45 mins non stop. she even turned around a couple of times herself to see who was shouting the muck. as for junkie, well i take that back, he just looks like how lot of my friends have done over the years who liked a draw now and again.lol nothing wrong with that i should point out, not at all.

Christ on a bike!

The North Stand is clearly designated as an over 16's area. Are some people seriously saying that folk IN A DESIGNATED OVER 16'S AREA can't say any 'bad' words on the off chance that a ball boy or girl might hear them?

No wonder atmosphere at football matches has gone to the dogs...

So is entry to the North Stand now on looks alone? The way it's shaping up only Mods and other fashionable types will be allowed entry. Some may even approve... my son for one B) I'm not condoning the use of foul and abusive language when minors are about, but was there any need for that outburst? The guys in question - if it's who I think you're referring to - were standing to the left of our usual spot and were loud but I didn't hear anything that was that bad.

On a more serious note, some folk have been banned from this forum for making allegedly hurtful posts. Maybe the guy in question was just recovering after a hard night at his favourite jazz club. Least he was there and paid his money...

least he was there and payed his money. well thats ok then. sorry. as for fashion, does not matter if your wareing a three piece suit, or hand me downs, if your a potty mouth fan then thats what you are,

Quick question re your Avatar: what exactly is it? It's spookily like the Ned one that was doing the rounds in Greenock some time back... the one where the wee c***s (only appropriate word for them) were noising up a guy who was skippering (sleeping rough). I guess what I'm trying to say is are you not really a Thistle fan and maybe you're at the wind up...

Swearing is a funny old game and even George Orwell, who would have been a Thistle fan had he stopped off on his way to Jura, had quite a lot to say about it (wee bit of English literature here as you're clearly seeking knowledge):

The whole business of swearing, especially English swearing, is mysterious. Of its very nature swearing is as irrational as magic — indeed, it is a species of magic. But there is also a paradox about it, namely this: Our intention in swearing is to shock and wound, which we do by mentioning something that should be kept secret — usually something to do with the sexual functions. But the strange thing is that when a word is well established as a swear word, it seems to lose its original meaning; that is, it loses the thing that made it into a swear word. A word becomes an oath because it means a certain thing, and, because it has become an oath, it ceases to mean that thing.
(Down and Out in Paris and London before you ask...)

But the serious point is what is potty-mouthed about mild swearing? If the worst you've ever heard was on Saturday past then you have my sympathy. You have clearly led a sheltered life. You should spend ten minutes in my house: Oi versus The Kinks, an ongoing war between Skins and Mods; and all I want to do is play some John Coltrane. Maybe next time go to the JHS... where you'll probably hear even more swearing; albeit from folk who have traditionally sat in the same seat week in week out and who generally leave the singing to the North Stand. I mean, what will make you happy and how can we not offend?

On the matter of the two guys who were shouting for their team, your comments were way out of order and totally uncalled for. You obviously weren't in the NS a few weeks ago when a topless fan (name withheld) was inciting fans to sing. After the game I was talking to a couple of opposing fans in the Star and Garter and they thought it was "f***ing hilarious" (their words not mine) and the funniest thing they'd seen at a game in ages. (Appropriate use of the expletive as it captured the moment. No offence caused or taken.) It's easy to single guys out but no mention of the choir behind them...

Quick question re your Avatar: what exactly is it? It's spookily like the Ned one that was doing the rounds in Greenock some time back... the one where the wee c***s (only appropriate word for them) were noising up a guy who was skippering (sleeping rough). I guess what I'm trying to say is are you not really a Thistle fan and maybe you're at the wind up...

Jagielka

With apologies... just noticed your explanation in another thread.

MJ

Edited by Meister Jag

Why does a ballgirl need protected from that but ballboys don't?

your right, but it is a social thing separating boys and girls and what is exceptable and whats not. if you had a son and daughter with you, and some one was giving it out di**heads, w**kers, ba*bag ect for 45 mins, you would be thinking more how it affects you wee girl more than your boy, its just the way it is. both can be just as upset by it as each other,

your right, but it is a social thing separating boys and girls and what is exceptable and whats not. if you had a son and daughter with you, and some one was giving it out di**heads, w**kers, ba*bag ect for 45 mins, you would be thinking more how it affects you wee girl more than your boy, its just the way it is. both can be just as upset by it as each other,

If it was bad enough that I felt it would affect them I imagine I'd be thinking about both of them.

I feel the need to comment on this. The ball girl is fine with the language of football. She loves Firhill and loves being a ball girl. She is well aware that language used at the game is 'industrial' and she hears it wherever she is positioned. She volunteered for that spot because its as close to the atmosphere of the north stand that she will get for a good few years.

I feel the need to comment on this. The ball girl is fine with the language of football. She loves Firhill and loves being a ball girl. She is well aware that language used at the game is 'industrial' and she hears it wherever she is positioned. She volunteered for that spot because its as close to the atmosphere of the north stand that she will get for a good few years.

Good on her Lionel!

Good on her.

Close the thread!

• Like 1

Great to hear.

But if she didn't consult first with kni and jagielka, that a black mark.

This is a rubbish thread but I can't resist an anecdote. Yonks ago when my son was four (plus or minus a year, ye olde dad is a bit grizzled)... we were at Cappielaw and some of the regulars were swearing away behind us (one looks like a well known tv presenter)... so shorty turns round and notes, sagely, 'Dad they're swearing'. I replied 'Yes they are'. And that was the end of the ******* matter.

• Like 1