Games You Wish You Hadnt Seen.

jagfox

Thistle 1 v 3 Ayr - May 1998.

Thistle 0 v 4 St Johnstone - April 2005.

Thistle 1 v 5 St Johnstone - September 2006. Left at half time.

Thistle 0 v 6 Gretna - September 2006. Left at half time.

Dunfermline 2 v 0 Thistle - March 2007. Scottish Cup.

Thistle 0 v 4 Clyde - March 2007.

Thistle 0 v 1 Airdrie Utd - October 2008. Challenge Cup semi final.

Thistle 0 v 1 Clyde - March 2009.

Raith Rovers 1 v 0 Thistle - January 2010.

Thistle 1 v 4 Dunfermline - March 2010.

St Johnstone 2 v 0 Thistle - February 2011. Scottish Cup.

Culter 1 v 1 Thistle - November 2011. Horrible, horrible day.

Thistle 0 v 1 QoS - January 2012. Scottish Cup.

Livingston 3 v 1 Thistle - February 2012. One of the worst Thistle performances I have ever witnessed.

I'll trump all that lot in one.

Thistle 0 Cowdenbeath 1 in 1993. Third round of the Scottish Cup.

They were bottom of division 1 having won once all season, and we had a penalty to equalise, which the late lamented Don made a cod of. That was the pits. Apart from the already mentioned Tannadice, of course.

And re season 97-98, does anyone else remember the outstanding 50 yard pass from Chic in the last minute at Cappielow, which on any other day in the history of human life would have earned us a 1-1 draw? However on this day, it fell in front of Jimmy Boyle, six yards out...............

The 0-7 pumping off Aberdeen, I was in the main stand beside my old man and a wee kid from my class who for no reason at all was an Aberdeen fan and who used to come to the Dons games at Firhill with us.

I was too young to notice the significance of the Cowdenbeath cup game and assumed we weren't expected to beat them what with them being the Blue Brazil and all.

They were bottom of division 1 having won once all season, and we had a penalty to equalise, which the late lamented Don made a cod of. That was the pits. Apart from the already mentioned Tannadice, of course.

And re season 97-98, does anyone else remember the outstanding 50 yard pass from Chic in the last minute at Cappielow, which on any other day in the history of human life would have earned us a 1-1 draw? However on this day, it fell in front of Jimmy Boyle, six yards out...............

Am I right in my recollection that Andy Lyons hit the bar near the end of that game? Typical frustrating 1-0 loss where we played badly and did not deserve a point but could still have snatched one.

Am I right in my recollection that Andy Lyons hit the bar near the end of that game? Typical frustrating 1-0 loss where we played badly and did not deserve a point but could still have snatched one.

Don't remember Andy hitting the bar, but that may be my bad memory.

Certainly remember us having the best of the second half that day.

That, and the previous away game at Somerset, where Ian Ferguson did us in the last minute for 2-2 were nutcrunchers that year.

Edited by Barney Rubble

That was a one off cup game that we could have won easily if things had went for us. The effect of Tannadice nearly killed us, so for me that was the worst ever

Tannadice / Ayr at Firhill relegation games are the obvious ones. Having skimmed the thread, a couple of others that may have been missed

1-2 vs Dundee in 2004, Rowser scored a peach from outside the area then that odious little sewer rat Novo stamped on Ian Ross, got away with it, and set up an equaliser that was miles offside. We then had a stonewall penalty turned down before Barry fecking Smith lasered one into the top bin from about 30 yards to win it. Possibly the only game I've come away from thinking the refereeing was fixed rather than just incompetent- absolutely everything went against us that day.

1-3 vs QoS under the Bunnet at Palmerston- totally gutless performance and the closest I've seen to Thistle fans laying into each other in the stand. Remember one of the chants being directed at the players being "we are Thistle, we are Thistle, you're no". Only Will Snowden came across to applaud the fans at the end and he was told to f**k off

0-4 vs Raith on opening day 2 or 3 years ago, Halliwell cost us the first 2 goals and we were 3-0 down at HT with a man sent off. Pretty much the opposite feeling to the first game this year, all pre-season optimism was totally punctured.

Had a season ticket for the enclosure that season and was right up at the City end that game. We had at least three goals disallowed for offside and Don missed the penalty. I spent most of the game screaming at the linesman whose offside decisions were distinctly dodgy.

Nicky Henderson scored the penalty for Cowdenbeath.

i just remembered this one from my youth. Scottish Cup tie at Firhill (possibly a quarter final) around about 73 or 74. Big crowd in, Jags v Ayr. We lost 5-1

I think what made it worse was being young & optimistic I really believed we could win the Cup :innocent2:

I was at that game as well remember a lot of arrests during the match. I do believe we scored first as well

1-3 vs QoS under the Bunnet at Palmerston- totally gutless performance and the closest I've seen to Thistle fans laying into each other in the stand. Remember one of the chants being directed at the players being "we are Thistle, we are Thistle, you're no". Only Will Snowden came across to applaud the fans at the end and he was told to f**k off

This for me, was just simply unpalatable. I actually felt sick on the bus home.

The first time we got relegated to Division 2, I thought we were unlucky. It was during STJ and there were a few games where we really didn't deserve to lose/draw.

However, season 2004/05, there was absolutely no excuse. We assembled a squad , many of them on SPL wages, who quite simply did not give a toss if they lost every game.

Up until that day I think everyone believed that we could still survive that year, but it was when QOS scored their third goal that the realisation set in - we were going back to the 2nd division for the second time in the space of 5 years, with a team that was assembled for life the SPL. I have never been so infuriated with a group of players than I was with that 04/05 team.

Jags 2 v Hibs 10. nuff said.

I was a ball boy that day. 5-0 down at half time. In the dressing room Willie Thornton was furious and demanded a decent fightback. Sure enough within a few minutes it was 5-2. I was sure it was going to be a memorable game. Unfortunately it was.

However, in all these early years (up till 1969) with the bigger league, relegation was never really a worry for the jags. My most depressing game was the day went down to the third level after that Ayr match.

1-3 vs QoS under the Bunnet at Palmerston- totally gutless performance and the closest I've seen to Thistle fans laying into each other in the stand. Remember one of the chants being directed at the players being "we are Thistle, we are Thistle, you're no". Only Will Snowden came across to applaud the fans at the end and he was told to f**k

One of the worst away days EVER. Nice warm sunny day, everyone (initially) in a good mood , with a right good bevvy as is traditional on the way to, and at Dumfries. And then the football started. The combination of heat, drink and as Ancipital says, a totally gutless performance conspired to create one of the most sour poisonous atmospheres inside a football ground I've ever experienced. Lots of arguing among the supporters, myself included. Depressing and horrible. Never want to feel like that about Thistle ever again.

Cup semi finals in consecutive years under Wee Bertie.

Lost 2-4 v Aberdeen, when Roughie botched a couple of easy crosses. Really thought we were gonna win the cup that year.

Next season against THEM from Ibrox. 0-1 in the replay. First game the famous goal from Badger Houston that was ridicolously chopped off. Hibs in the final as well. We would have humped them.

One of the worst away days EVER. Nice warm sunny day, everyone (initially) in a good mood , with a right good bevvy as is traditional on the way to, and at Dumfries. And then the football started. The combination of heat, drink and as Ancipital says, a totally gutless performance conspired to create one of the most sour poisonous atmospheres inside a football ground I've ever experienced. Lots of arguing among the supporters, myself included. Depressing and horrible. Never want to feel like that about Thistle ever again.

Was that the game at the start on the season where some tit at the back of the Thistle support starting singing The Billy Boys? He managed just 'hullo hullo' before getting shouted down... :thumbdown:

This was maybe a different game though.

Was that the game at the start on the season where some tit at the back of the Thistle support starting singing The Billy Boys? He managed just 'hullo hullo' before getting shouted down... :thumbdown:

No. The game in question was towards the end of the season.

Please elaborate on this "billy boys" accusation though, as I find it hard to believe this happened within the jags support.

he could have been singing hello hello how do u do, how do you know he was singing the billy boys if he stopped after hello hello?!

he could have been singing hello hello how do u do, how do you know he was singing the billy boys if he stopped after hello hello?!

Because its a different tune intit.

The guy was pretty steaming to be honest and probably just got a bit confused. Nothing more to read into it than that...

Ayr Utd game, after all we'd been through with save the jags that season I thought we'd hang on to our league spot, big crowd delayed kick off.

Getting relegated was bad enough but losing that goal from our free kick on the half way line when silly billy tried his usual baffling pass direct to their player in no mans land was the icing on the cake.

Really upset and furious after that game, remember sittin in the pub myself that night refusing to answer my phone to my mates as I just wanted to get pissed and not talk to anyone, they eventually found me about half an hour before I banjoed a rangers fan for goading me over the fact that we'd be bust now and I should go support his big club… unless I was a left footer.

Amazing how a drunken windmill punch cheers you up on the darkest of times, but the worst I've felt after a game and that includes tannadice