Raith Rovers - Ramsdens Cup

potty trained

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the game again on the TV. Erskine lost the ball on innumerable occasions, and was forced into covering defensively - one of his weaknesses. He also scored twice and set up the other goal. So yes, he was very poor - and also very effective. (By the way, he scored both with his right, i.e. his weaker foot. Respect for the training he's getting.)

Welsh got a bad knock on the head early on in the game, which seemed to knock him off his stride, and may well have contributed to the poor team performance in the first half. (The match at Hampden showed that if he's missing, the team doesn't function effectively in midfield.)

O' Donnell reminded of Twaddle on the days when he got into a bad mood. After O'Donnell got a knock on the face, instead of shrugging it off as he would normally do, he handbagged a Raith Rovers player and got a yellow card for his trouble. Petulant and unnecessary.

So yes, all three showed severe weaknesses in their play. Maybe the management needs to think about how to help players like Welsh and O'Donnell to be more robust or better at avoiding the, er, "physical" approach. (Erskine was also scythed down early on, but that's nothing new: he seems to be made of sterner stuff.) If less scrupulous managers spot that the way to rattle this team is to give it that treatment, then it will happen more often.

Despite Craig's canny, bland statement on camera after the game (from which Erskine sensibly took the lead) about the halftime talk, I suspect that Jackie and Simon told them to get out there and play football instead of letting RR show them how to punt the ball around for head tennis. This was one of those (cliche alert!) "games of two halves", and that's the best explanation consistent with the facts that I can come up with - even if it doesn't conform to some hero-worship on here. If you want to claim that there weren't any weaknesses in the first half, then you'll have to explain what happened to the team's goal difference in the first half (Reminder: there wasn't one.), and also why the second half wasn't such a turnaround after all. The timing of the goals tells a different story about these players' performances. Where's your evidence, gentlemen?

Just watched the game again on the TV. Erskine lost the ball on innumerable occasions, and was forced into covering defensively - one of his weaknesses. He also scored twice and set up the other goal. So yes, he was very poor - and also very effective. (By the way, he scored both with his right, i.e. his weaker foot. Respect for the training he's getting.)

Welsh got a bad knock on the head early on in the game, which seemed to knock him off his stride, and may well have contributed to the poor team performance in the first half. (The match at Hampden showed that if he's missing, the team doesn't function effectively in midfield.)

O' Donnell reminded of Twaddle on the days when he got into a bad mood. After O'Donnell got a knock on the face, instead of shrugging it off as he would normally do, he handbagged a Raith Rovers player and got a yellow card for his trouble. Petulant and unnecessary.

So yes, all three showed severe weaknesses in their play. Maybe the management needs to think about how to help players like Welsh and O'Donnell to be more robust or better at avoiding the, er, "physical" approach. (Erskine was also scythed down early on, but that's nothing new: he seems to be made of sterner stuff.) If less scrupulous managers spot that the way to rattle this team is to give it that treatment, then it will happen more often.

Despite Craig's canny, bland statement on camera after the game (from which Erskine sensibly took the lead) about the halftime talk, I suspect that Jackie and Simon told them to get out there and play football instead of letting RR show them how to punt the ball around for head tennis. This was one of those (cliche alert!) "games of two halves", and that's the best explanation consistent with the facts that I can come up with - even if it doesn't conform to some hero-worship on here. If you want to claim that there weren't any weaknesses in the first half, then you'll have to explain what happened to the team's goal difference in the first half (Reminder: there wasn't one.), and also why the second half wasn't such a turnaround after all. The timing of the goals tells a different story about these players' performances. Where's your evidence, gentlemen?

That's plenty Fearchar.

Very negative post considering we won the game 3-0.

Wow! First half, Erskine - who seemed to be getting used as a crash test dummy by Raith (at least 2 of their first half bookings were down to clattering the Bridge) - couldnae buy an attempt on target.

Second half, he was more lethal than a homicidal rattlesnake that was getting 'voices' in its head! In my opinion, Erskine was a hugely well deserved MOTM.

Great credit to McNamara for turning things around in the second half, without actually dabbling with personnel; in other words, no panic substitutions, just a greater awareness of the players to act and react faster. That was two Thistles out there today - the first half team that we'd become wearily accustomed to in recent years - and the 'new' Thistle of the second half that seemed desparate to make things happen.

This is superb stuff and I'm feckin loving it (at least while it lasts). Bring those cheating, tax-dodging crooks on any time soon - we're more than ready for them.

If our 3rd goal had been scored in the EPL or La Liga it would be getting constant replays on Sky Sports News. Fantastic tracking back from Paton then the tackle and quick crossfield pass was excellent. The control and finish from Erskine was outstanding.

Wonder how many more superlatives I can fit into one post :D

Managed to convince a few people I know down south to watch the game and they loved it , thought the atmosphere from such a small (to them) crowd was excellent and the style of football we are trying to play is the way everyone wants to see the game played.

just one really good thing from the club , to have the Under 16s free on the advertising rotation on the boards was a cracking idea , hopefully if there were any neutrals watching and they like what they saw they head along to the game.

I feckin loved that.

What I like most about this side is that after 90 mins with the game won, players are still busting a gut to win the ball back and close down their opponents. Bannigan made a 60 yard run to match a Raith attacker and succeded in breaking up their attack.

Also, I've been a critic of Erskine's in the past as he used to frustrate the life out of me as we all knew the talent he posesses. However, since adding a goal threat to his undoubted skill, I'm now a fully paid up worshiper at the temple of the Bridge. Just dont tell jaggybunnet just yet.

It's great to be a Jags fan right now!

Some bizarre observations from Fearchar who is normally someone I tend to agree with on here, especially regarding O'Donnell who I thought was a contender for Man of the Match (again!).

Thought the first half was the typical spoiling sort of game we've came to expect from Raith; I read some of their fans suggest on Pie and Bovril that they were the better team in the opening 45 which is complete lunacy. Charleston was initially very quick with his cards - Raith's first two bookings were quite harsh, in my opinion, although no doubt about the third. The one thing that struck me about them in the first half was that they were quick enough to dish out cynical tackles but when they were on the receiving end of a strong challenge, it was a continental-esque rush to appeal to the referee, led by their manager. Bannigan's tackle on Thomson was perfectly legal, absolutely nothing in it.

I thought our first half performance was a good bit below what we're capable of but it would be remiss not to credit Raith for somewhat limiting us. I also thought Shug was right off-the-boil and cost us a lot of space in the middle of the park at times. But, the thing is, it only takes us a very short period of time to completely run over the top of teams on current form. Case in point...

The ten minute spell in the second half was a joy to watch. Stevie Craig did very well to stay on his feet and get away from his marker, great ball into the box and a clinical finish from Erskine. The second goal was a tremendous move too - Welsh's ball to Erskine was an absolute beauty. But, the third goal...the third goal! A contender for goal of the season already. Paton's tackle, his wonder cross-field pass right onto Erskine's foot, the dummy inside then placing it right into the corner with his weaker foot - utterly sublime.

Welsh has yet to hit the heights of his pre-season performances but he is such a classy player; never rushed on the ball, rarely loses it and is capable of pinging passes like the one to Erskine for the second goal. He seems to be in the wars, so to speak, in most games though so it's good to have another player in Forbes to come in (once fit) who has a similar range of skills.

Muirhead, Archie and Conrad latterly kept Brian Graham very quiet which, going on his recent form, is no mean feat. Muirhead continues to impress further in each game - he's been absolutely tremendous so far. I thought Archie played very well yesterday too but I was glad he came off when he did to ensure the knock he picked up last week doesn't develop into anything more serious - if he's out for any length of time, I'd be very worried, as much as I rate Conrad.

I wasn't his biggest fan last year, mainly because I felt he was incapable of doing his primary job of defending, but what a turnaround from O'Donnell who has arguably been our best player this season. I'd certainly have him in the Scotland Under 21 squad ahead of Kieron Duffie from Falkirk who has been called up for this round of qualifiers.

Said it when we signed him but Stevie Craig will prove to be a very shrewd piece of business. One of the boys mentioned yesterday that his style was reminiscent of Scott McLean - if he can do half as good a job as Trigger then we're onto a winner.

Technically, this is the best squad we've had in years, possibly in my whole time of being a Jags fan. In addition to that, I don't think there are many fitter sides in our division and I would be interested to see a fitter player than Bannigan who is still running the length of the pitch at full pelt with 90+ minutes gone.

Bring on the Sevco.

Just a lecture, not a card.

Yes, you're right - but it should have been a card (and would have been if the refereeing had been consistent).

Armand2's points are well made: so I won't copy that long post. (You can read it above.) My mind was on what might happen if the team had played the way they did in the first half against a competent side: we'd have gone in at least 1 goal down at the break, and possibly 2. I'm not thinking of world-beaters, either - just run-of-the-mill SPL sides. This team is gelling, but still lacks consistency, and many of the players are their own worst enemies.

It is likely that this team will face another with a good few internationalists in it soon, and, like many of us here, I want to see our team crush that opposition and heap ignominy on their heads. The first-half display in Sunday's match was so poor that, if repeated, our team would be unlikely to win against such opposition. How many of us want to be plucky losers again? I don't know about anyone else, but I've had my fill of that at Dens Park - and look where Dundee are now, despite being a financial basket-case and cynically playing up to the fantasies of victimisation.

What was said in the dressing room at halftime won't be revealed, but I am pretty sure that some ears were burnt there. The management team did very well to get the team back into the right frame of mind, but inconsistency on the park, like during that first half, would impede or even halt progress.

Muscat Jag

Last time I tried BBC iplayer it said I could not use in this region.

Can you now use overseas. News to me.

Topcat, you need to install something like 'expatshield' - http://www.expatshield.com

That way you look as though you are logged on in the UK to the BBC website from wherever you actually are in the world.

Netshade is another one. - http://www.raynersoftware.com/netshade/

:thumbsup2:

Muscat Jag

Last time I tried BBC iplayer it said I could not use in this region.

Can you now use overseas. News to me.

In the name of God TC!!!! What sort of expat are you? You've been away all these years and haven't sorted out a VPN service. Try the sites Algarve jag has suggested or these links http://www.vpnaccounts.com/ http://vpnuk.co.uk/. There are plenty of others if you search around.