One Thing Disappoints Me From Saturday

Gordie

Our crowd, 2600 for a home game, when we are clear at top of league. Any thoughts folks?

Gordie

We have three home games on the trot ,we played Hamilton on the Tuesday and again on the Saturday - two mid week away Cup Games where we took 800- 1000 fans per game all in August as people are paying off there Holiday Credit Card Bills.

On Sunday 24000 people from Greater Glasgow were running races.

Hamilton Brought about 220,we were down about 300 Home fans compared to the Dumbarton Game - Im pretty happy with the crowd given the surrounding circumstances ,money is still tight for most people they have to pick and choose what game to go to.

Edited by Jordanhill Jag

And don't forget, unlike certain other Glasgow teams we don't get daily publicity (or any kind of publicity really).

Compare our situation with a certain 3rd division team. Apparently it's a great thing that a (cheating) club that can pay for SPL players to play against part timers are built up by the monkeys of the Record and Sun and so on whereas a (non-cheating) Glasgow team doing well in a competitive league which has quite a few decent teams in it (see recent league cup results) gets a few lines if it's lucky.

I can partly accept the Celtic side of it as they are an SPL team doing well in Europe, etc. but the rest makes me sick.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Gordie

We have three home games on the trot ,we played Hamilton on the Tuesday and again on the Saturday - two mid week away Cup Games where we took 800- 1000 fans per game all in August as people are paying off there Holiday Credit Card Bills.

Hamilton Brought about 220,we were down about 300 Home fans compared to the Dumbarton Game - Im pretty happy with the crowd given the surrounding circumstances ,money is still tight for most people they have to pick and choose what game to go to.

Did you say "paying off" their holiday credit card bills? LUCKY BARSTEWARDS!

Gordie

Very true mate, still thought might have been closer to 3k

Quite right LLD. And of course Thistle fans are used to stepping on the plank that shoots up and smacks them in the face so it will take a while for lost fans to really believe it's more than a flash in the pan.

And as you say, it's a long season and a long hard grind for the team. But the longer our good run goes the more others will start to believe. Hopefully when we have a setback in the league - which will happen - we respond and get back on track quickly. That will be the real test for both the team and the fans.

I was disappointed to learn that the Carnarvon Bar no longer sells Stella. The new owner told me he'd reviewed the sales and Auntie Artois only really sold every second Saturday or so. Strange that. I wonder why?

Its reopened then?? thought it had shut...sure i saw big metal sheets over the windows last time i passed on motorway?

To take a more positive view it might be better in some ways if fans didn't flock back on the strength of a series of good results and good play. That would indicate a very fickle support that will just as easy drift away when we play a few bad games. Trying not to use the word sustainability and failing but a more gradual return to larger crowds maybe won't please the purse strings but it could be better in the long run..

I have been a stay away fan for the last couple of seasons due to other commitments but made a point of saying to my fellow Thistle supporting mates at the start of the season (before a ball had been kicked) I would be making more of an effort this season to make games. I have only managed along to the Queens Park match so far but intend on returning again on Sunday for the Raith game.

The good recent run of games has made it an easier sell to my mates for Sunday although I wouldn't call them fickle. Better results in the league gets people talking and an improved quality of football will get fans back to Firhill. Regardless of the result on Sunday we will be making more of an effort to make games as it looks like we have a team which can excite crowds. Hopefuly more fans like them will be tempted back to Firhill off the back of the good start to the season.

Will be taking along 4 lapsed supporters and a rangers fan and we are all looking forward to the New Shed experience :happy2:

It has been mentioned earlier in this thread that there are probably a number of reasons why people didn't turn out on Saturday. I think that the result on Tuesday would have had an impact. Also, on Sat morning the weather was pretty rubbish and some people probably decided not to bother.

Lady B touched on the economics of the attendance. I would guess that it isn't as simple as saying 300 less through the turnstiles cost the club £5,100. How many of those were season ticket holders, under 16 or concessions.

Bottom line good football and results put bums on seats. I know I didn't bother going under Gerry Collins and some of the second division as well as under the bunnets tenure.

It's up to the club to keep a good footballing ethos no matter who is appointed. Something along Swansea's strategy since back in the days of Kenny Jackett then Martinez. Keep coaching staff and tweak standard of play where possible with tweaks from each manager. They went from league2 to the top of the premiership and also gradually increased attendance until it is now a near sell out every week. Helps you can get a pint at half time there as well as decent catering. Rome wasn't built in a day mind :P