New Midfield Signing

aberdeens jag

As soon as I saw his name I was thinking it was a Motherwell player, but I can't remember exactly when I've seen him play. So did Dumbarton reject him or has he chosen us ahead of them?

He played one game as a trialist for Dungbarton (v Thistle) but was beyond their price range, methinks. Had offers from Dunfermline and a club in Iceland.

Was outstanding at 3rd Div level when on loan to Dumbarton a few years back and could hold his own in the PL with Motherwell. If he can lose the beef he could be an excellent signing, his skill alongside Murray's brawn.

In whose place?

It gives Welsh a bit of competition which is no bad thing. We've not had genuine competition for most places in the team for ages now.

I don't expect him to stroll into the starting XI but I was sceptical about Craig last week and it looks like we have a bit of depth rather than relying on the same 16 every week and having to put the likes of Fraser, Burns or Griffin on the bench in the event of an injury or 2 like last season.

Plenty of depth in the middle now, he's got a good pedigree with all those games in SPL, and he's still young, so potentially a very good signing. But Murray and Paton IMO cannot be dropped, Paton has been brilliant so far and Shug keeps the midfield running over, Welsh may be the most under threat from this signing, but he's a crackin player too, so I'm really pleased with our midfield depth.

Yeah another centre half would have been good, but Balatoni and arguably Paton can cover there also, so with a bit of luck we'll be ok defensively.

I think this will be a great signing. Primarily gives competition for Lawless and Erskine from what I remember of where he plays. Would see Bannigan or Rowson as more natural cover for Welsh. Forbes has always played his best in a midfield or forward three - I think he'll fit into our setup perfectly. All abord the promotion bus Ross!

My own thoughts.

My thoughts too. We need cover for Archibald more than another midfielder even though Rowson is out. I hope this is not a sign that David will be out for a long time.

Jackie said that he was scouted at the same time as Lawless. Forbes has more first-team experience so, hopefully, he will be another good signing.

Undoubtedly talented, but I'd rather have seen us sign another centre half.

It's probably significant that this is an actual signing, albeit short term, as opposed to a loan agreement. Possibly the money involved here may not have been sufficient to sign a suitable centreback and is one available?

I agree we're probably short one centreback. Perhaps Jackie has got some sort of contingency by means of a short term loan if and when we should need one?

Not often we sign a young player from a higher level who I've actually heard of. Lots of good midfield players. I'm guessing there were not prolific strikers going that we could afford.

We don't need back up for Fox, if he gets injured we can get in an emergency loan, no point wasting a wage on a keeper to warm the bench.

Not often we sign a young player from a higher level who I've actually heard of. Lots of good midfield players. I'm guessing there were not prolific strikers going that we could afford.

We don't need back up for Fox, if he gets injured we can get in an emergency loan, no point wasting a wage on a keeper to warm the bench.

Some good sense in that.