Just In For Livy

Gordie

Well about 1 hour ago.

Boys did well today,msome great football, Livy were best team we have played, thought their number 9 was good.

For us, Erskine, O'donell and Muirhead, were best, with no failures. Big shout to Christie who did really well when he came on. How could I forget Lawless.

Let's keep it going

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we played really well at times today, the whole first half we passed them off the park, lawless scored a peach, the wee subbuteo keeper didnt have a chance.livvy hit the post in the first half but we pretty much dominated. Elliott was running through and brought down by the last man for a clear run on goal maybe 25/30 yards out which could have been a red but he only got a yellow. the second half we came out looking for another goal and got it, a great through pass by o'donnell for lawless to finish again. we seemed to turn off after that and think the game was won.livvy put us under a bit if pressure and scored, that dumplin ref was about to give a pen anyways.

usually we have been hunting in packs trying to win the ball back but we seemed to sit off them today and let them play. I dont know why we didnt push right up for their bye kicks, the wee diddy keeper was passing the goal kicks out everytime but we had elliott upfront himself trying to mark 3 defenders and the midfielder just stayed at the halfway line. big craig got injured diving into a needless tackle that was going out for a shy, elliott chased about and had a decent game I thought, lawless, o donnell muirhead welsh were the stand outs. shuggy murray commits too many daft fouls, he was already on a yellow and nearly brought down their guy on the halfway line which would have resulted in a second yellow. good result though,well chuffed with that.the fans were excellent yet again.

If I was a Livvy fan I would be sick of seeing that pass out from every bye kick, it was a bit ridiculous and it will cost them goals this year,

oh and Rangers :sarcastic:

Stevie Lawless, take a bow son, 2 fantastic goals with the first a magic 25 yarder and the 2nd a good finish after a great through ball from O'Donnell. Erskine had a good game without showing any real flare, Paton and Shuggy where in about it all game. Elliott led the line really well when he came on and deserves a lot of credit for that as he isn't the same type of player as Dools or Craig. Aaron Muirhead, what a signing...that guy has a big big future in the game. Livi by far the best team we've played so far and will likely be among the top 4.

Craig Thimpson, how did that guy get to grade 1 level? Every time I've seen him ref a game he's been bamboozling.

5 in a row, playing great football home and away, top of the league and going great guns. Long may it continue :)

Lawless MotM, not just for goals but for overall work rate and creativity, absolutely superb and by far his best game in a Jags shirt.

Fox had nothing to do really, O'Donnell played really well and is growing in confidence every week. Muirhead = signing of season so far. Archie solid. Bannigan played well.

Paton's work rate was superb as usual, he's impressed me so much with his fitness and consistency. His quality too though, his distribution and contribution going forward, he looks a new player. Shug was poor, too many slack passes and daft tackles.

Welsh excellent, classiest player in league. Erskine excellent, his wee touch to go by the man before hitting the post was a touch of class - the guy who said he didn't have much flair today - were you in the toilets at that moment, it was such a difficult bit of skill to take the ball on the run, chip it over a tackle with your left foot and hit a volley on target with your right. He's great entertainment.

Elliot ran himself into ground but looks short of fitness. He's direct and beats a man nice, but just needs a bit of confidence. Hope Doolan and Craig are back fit soon though they are better players IMO.

Absolutely loving this team right now, every week they entertain, today was total domination and 2-1 flatters Livi. Not many clear cut chances, but our tempo and possession was just too much for them.

Yogi has them set up to play though, remind me of Swansea last season, with the wee Joe Allen lookalike number 10 (Stephane Scugal or somethin?) droppin short to pick up the ball from every goal kick, they rarely lump it forward so fair play to them. We just had too much quality.

Crackin performance annd 2 brilliant goals. No failures in the team at all and we maybe shouldve won with a bit more in hand. Livvy are by no mens a bad outfit and they try and play football although the short goal kicks all the time maybe arent a good idea. Special mention for Elliott teriffic shift he put in and he had livvy defence worried with his direct running at them. Roll on next week and hopefully a home draw against sevco in midweek

We win when we want,

We win when we want,

We're Partick Thistle,

We win when we want :)

Great performance against the best team we've faced. I reckon we are playing the best football I've seen from any team in div 1 for.....ever?

Could have been four but a win is a win.

Bring on the Cowden family :)

Lawless was best of a good bunch. Christie put in a shift and can only benefit from game time.

Thomson is a shit ref but he let Shug off with about 6 fouls before he booked him :)

We win when we want,

We win when we want,

We're Partick Thistle,

We win when we want :)

Great performance against the best team we've faced. I reckon we are playing the best football I've seen from any team in div 1 for.....ever?

Could have been four but a win is a win.

Bring on the Cowden family :)

Lawless was best of a good bunch. Christie put in a shift and can only benefit from game time.

Thomson is a shit ref but he let Shug off with about 6 fouls before he booked him :)

3, I was counting ;)

Magnificent today. Sick of Almondvale and pish results there, but that was in some ways BETTER than the Rowson/ Harkins show of a couple of seasons ago. No failures today, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Murray but (whisper it) I'd like to see Rowser back in there. Muirhead - what a find. Lawless - the first goal was one of the best goals I've seen scored by a Thistle player in....years...even he knew it was special!

Loving this team a lot.

We will prevail.

THE JAGS.

Elliot was immense when he came on today.

For a guy with very little game time under his belt & usually coming on when we've got the 3 points all but in the bag, he was the stand out for me!

Team brimming with confidence just now and you can see that the way the players believe in themselves, Erskine best I've ever seen him!

2-1 but we could & should've had a couple more.

Only slight concern was way we defended corners but to be fair a swirling wind around Toytown Stadium wouldn't have helped.

Can't wait for next week! :-)

Super performance.

I still believe that this side has a long way to progress - that's not to say that we are poor - this is arguably the best Thistle side I have seen, and it can get even better.

Occasional slackness does creep in - there were a number of passes today (as with Raith on Sunday) that were played without looking/thinking and put us under pressure. Better teams will punish us on the break when we surrender possession - Livy succeeded in putting the ball out of play when they had real chances to counter. I am being hyper critical though.

On to the good stuff

Fox, apart from his great second half save, hardly touched the ball.

O'Donnell - Got forward well and just got better as the game went on. Had some super runs and his reverse pass for the second goal was just superb

Bannigan - Another solid game, and put in a good shift up and down the left. Defended well all game.

Archie and Muirhead - What a partnership they are forming at the back. Neither really put a foot wrong all game.

Shug - ran the game from the middle of the park. He seems to put in some crazy tackles and the occasional daft pass

Paton - Up and down the pitch all the game. Near the end he sprinted back over most of the pitch after we lost possession and put in a tackle. Passing and crossing was superb. He is turning in to a super player.

Lawless - What a first goal - the second wasn;t bad either. Puts the fear of god into the oppo with the ball. Should have had a hattrick but a last ditch tackle foiled him

Erskine - Again another superb performance from him, and unlucky not to score what would have been an impressive goal. Tackled well and ran his socks off all game.

Welsh - Just superb, skillfull on the ball and his passing was immaculate - he should have scored as well, unlucky to see the shot go wide.

Elliot - Put in a great shift. Worked hard and held the ball up well. Looks like he might turn into a player after all :)

Craig - not on long enough really to make an impact. Showed some nice touches to hold the ball up and lay it off though.

Great performance overall, and apart from the last 5 or so minutes we were pretty much in control of things. The 1st Lawless goal was just superb and Erskine was so unlucky not to score moments later. Livy then hit the post and had a rebound chance - they should have scored - it would have been an injustice if they had though.

Brilliant move for the second - Welsh's skill and pass on the ball to get it out to the right was class.

Their goal came out of the blue from a corner that should never have been given.

We should have scored another couple of goals to make things safe, but couldn't find the finish. Last few minutes were very nervy.

We can do this!

Elliot was immense when he came on today.

For a guy with very little game time under his belt & usually coming on when we've got the 3 points all but in the bag, he was the stand out for me!

Team brimming with confidence just now and you can see that the way the players believe in themselves, Erskine best I've ever seen him!

2-1 but we could & should've had a couple more.

Only slight concern was way we defended corners but to be fair a swirling wind around Toytown Stadium wouldn't have helped.

Can't wait for next week! :-)

I'm agreeing if you're meaning the 90 min performance as opposed to the periods of sheer brilliance as typified by last week. There wouldn't be an SPL manager that would not give him 90 mins on today's form. As mentioned earlier he won every tackle and cleanly at that. Something I wouldn't have believed just months ago.

Tho' I don't rate Hughes I couldn't help but be impressed with Livingston today yet we beat them in all departments. That sounds rather patronising but I really believe we had to turn it up a notch today to get the three points. Not sure if it's even a genuine criticism but I thought we were just a wee bit careless in possession in defence too often. That could've more to do with the pace the game was played at and the alertness of the Livi forwards.

Big opportunity today for Elliot to impress and I doubt anyone would be disappointed with the way he played but that's equally true for every Jags player today.

Super performance.

I still believe that this side has a long way to progress - that's not to say that we are poor - this is arguably the best Thistle side I have seen, and it can get even better.

Occasional slackness does creep in - there were a number of passes today (as with Raith on Sunday) that were played without looking/thinking and put us under pressure. Better teams will punish us on the break when we surrender possession - Livy succeeded in putting the ball out of play when they had real chances to counter. I am being hyper critical though.

On to the good stuff

Fox, apart from his great second half save, hardly touched the ball.

O'Donnell - Got forward well and just got better as the game went on. Had some super runs and his reverse pass for the second goal was just superb

Bannigan - Another solid game, and put in a good shift up and down the left. Defended well all game.

Archie and Muirhead - What a partnership they are forming at the back. Neither really put a foot wrong all game.

Shug - ran the game from the middle of the park. He seems to put in some crazy tackles and the occasional daft pass

Paton - Up and down the pitch all the game. Near the end he sprinted back over most of the pitch after we lost possession and put in a tackle. Passing and crossing was superb. He is turning in to a super player.

Lawless - What a first goal - the second wasn;t bad either. Puts the fear of god into the oppo with the ball. Should have had a hattrick but a last ditch tackle foiled him

Erskine - Again another superb performance from him, and unlucky not to score what would have been an impressive goal. Tackled well and ran his socks off all game.

Welsh - Just superb, skillfull on the ball and his passing was immaculate - he should have scored as well, unlucky to see the shot go wide.

Elliot - Put in a great shift. Worked hard and held the ball up well. Looks like he might turn into a player after all :)

Craig - not on long enough really to make an impact. Showed some nice touches to hold the ball up and lay it off though.

Great performance overall, and apart from the last 5 or so minutes we were pretty much in control of things. The 1st Lawless goal was just superb and Erskine was so unlucky not to score moments later. Livy then hit the post and had a rebound chance - they should have scored - it would have been an injustice if they had though.

Brilliant move for the second - Welsh's skill and pass on the ball to get it out to the right was class.

Their goal came out of the blue from a corner that should never have been given.

We should have scored another couple of goals to make things safe, but couldn't find the finish. Last few minutes were very nervy.

We can do this!

THIS :thumbsup2:

I'm agreeing if you're meaning the 90 min performance as opposed to the periods of sheer brilliance as typified by last week. There wouldn't be an SPL manager that would not give him 90 mins on today's form. As mentioned earlier he won every tackle and cleanly at that. Something I wouldn't have believed just months ago.

Tho' I don't rate Hughes I couldn't help but be impressed with Livingston today yet we beat them in all departments. That sounds rather patronising but I really believe we had to turn it up a notch today to get the three points. Not sure if it's even a genuine criticism but I thought we were just a wee bit careless in possession in defence too often. That could've more to do with the pace the game was played at and the alertness of the Livi forwards.

Big opportunity today for Elliot to impress and I doubt anyone would be disappointed with the way he played but that's equally true for every Jags player today.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

As for the being impressed with Livi comment, I agree. However they reminded me a bit like us in previous couple of seasons in sense of nice pretty patterns and keeping ball on deck but powderpuff in last 3rd!

Yeah, that's what I meant.

As for the being impressed with Livi comment, I agree. However they reminded me a bit like us in previous couple of seasons in sense of nice pretty patterns and keeping ball on deck but powderpuff in last 3rd!

I said the exact same thing to someone today, wasn't you was it? :P

One of the best Thistle teams I've ever seen. Muirhead, O'Donnell, Erskine and Paton all ran the show with tenacious tackling, direct passing and frighteningly good first touch passing.

We'll have a real fight trying to hold on to some of this team if they keep this up. Livingston are a decent side but we gifted them the chances they did get. More down to loss of concentration than anything else.

An exciting week ahead with The ramsdens draw and a very winnable game next Saturday...

I'm 25 and been going for about 15 years or so. I think in all honesty this is the best Jags side Iv seen. It might not have the steely character of Lambie's promotion sides but I think we'd pass that team off the park, although it would be close. I also think that this side would comfortably stay in the SPL and give any team in Scotland a game. Its just brilliant how good we are at the moment, and I just can't see it dropping off for us not to win the league. We have a great balance to the side. I also think the fans have helped push them to new heights. Its just so good to go to the football at the moment.

Another very good performance from the best jags team since '71 - there I've said it!

To say we dominated the first half does not really begin to describe how much of the ball we had. We were patient though, and got the goal eventually - which I missed, due to doing the pie run. Second away game in a row this has happened.

Erskine's wee flick at the end of the first half, if that goes in off the post pandemonium would have occurred, very unlucky that it bounced back out.

Second half we got the killer goal very quickly. We probably took the foot off the gas a little bit, but I didn't think that Livi even merited their goal when it came. After that, yes, Fox kept us in it with a great save down to his right hand side.

However, we more than merited the 3 points yesterday.

The singing at full time was absolutely tremendous, and you could see how much it meant to the players.

Will be interesting to see the odds on Cowdenbeath winning next week. Would surely be the biggest upset of the season.

I can't see us losing to anyone right now.