Steven Craig

Santana

When he signed I was pleased, but I didn't think he'd do aswell as he has been. His play isn't always the prettiest on the eye, but he's effective and scores goals, so much so he's keeping Doolan (who I still think is the better player) out of the team. If he keeps scoring I'm sure County will want him back, but I'd like to see us get him 'til the end of the season.

Thoughts?

Edited by Santana

What's to think about? Doolan's still a key player for us but Craig gives us the option to play different formations and without him I don't think we'd have been able to "win ugly" like we did yesterday (though it was a beaut of a goal we scored).

They appear to have three forwards at the moment (and they are not a team that use a lot of forwards) with another young guy out on loan to Brechin so it's very possible they could let us keep him provided none of their forwards gets injured. Even then they might sign someone else in the January window.

Adams confirmed at the time he left that he'd already spoken to Craig and they had agreed he would be free to find a new club in January. I can't see Craig being too happy if Adams went back on his word unless he enjoys it up in Dingwall.

I'd love to see us sign him in January with the money his goal has earned us from our final appearance v Queens.

I fear the reason we can afford Craig is his wage is heavilly subsidised by County. They may be wanting to off load him in January for next to nothing but then we would have to either pay his full wage or get him to agree, what I assume, is a large wage cut. Also other teams may step in.

Obviously with County not on form they may even want him back regardless of what has previously been said. If McGuigan banged in loads of goals, we would certainly not consider a loan increase.

Edited by read'n'yell

I fear the reason we can afford Craig is his wage is heavilly subsidised by County. They may be wanting to off load him in January for next to nothing but then we would have to either pay his full wage or get him to agree, what I assume, is a large wage cut. Also other teams may step in.

Obviously with County not on form they may even want him back regardless of what has previously been said. If McGuigan banged in loads of goals, we would certainly not consider a loan increase.

Yes and only a SPL club could afford Craig's full wages. My guess is that the manager will seek to extend his loan - if the money is available. McGuigan has a 2 year deal so his loan could be extended.

I think hes been a good signing and he was terrific first half v Morton last week, felt he was very quiet yesterday aside from the goal though.

Agreed on both halves of your statement, although he wasn't really getting many passes (or even near-passes) yesterday.

As mentioned above, he adds dig to our attack, and is great at bustling and making his physical presence felt. And give him a half chance.... as his scoring record makes clear. Great to have both him and Doolan available. Hmm, I wonder if they could become the new Bone and Coulston, or Craig and Somner...

To have the problem of who to play up front out of Doolan and Craig is a great problem to have. We have some terrific players and some really good ones as back up pretty much all over the park just now, think of some of the diddies we've had in the past say 5 years compared to what we have now.

To have the problem of who to play up front out of Doolan and Craig is a great problem to have. We have some terrific players and some really good ones as back up pretty much all over the park just now, think of some of the diddies we've had in the past say 5 years compared to what we have now.

Would you care to explicitize (new word) that comment with examples?

Can't believe I am saying this, but with Dools contract due to expire at the end of the season, I would be surprised if he didn't take up the offers he will get to play at a higher level. Would there be any mileage in taking some cash for him in January and getting Craig signed up as a permanent replacement ?

I'm a big fan of Kris and would love it if he were to stay, but I can't see it happening and would rather that we got a few quid for him than let him go for nothing.

Can't believe I am saying this, but with Dools contract due to expire at the end of the season, I would be surprised if he didn't take up the offers he will get to play at a higher level. Would there be any mileage in taking some cash for him in January and getting Craig signed up as a permanent replacement ?

I'm a big fan of Kris and would love it if he were to stay, but I can't see it happening and would rather that we got a few quid for him than let him go for nothing.

No way!!!

Doolan is 25 and Craig is 31 so I'd rather keep Kris. As his contract expires in May, he could sign a pre-contract agreement in January. It's therefore unlikely that we would get much of fee for him, especially as money is tight in the SLP. We did not get any money for Cairney and Doolan is in the same position as Paul was.

No way!!!

Doolan is 25 and Craig is 31 so I'd rather keep Kris. As his contract expires in May, he could sign a pre-contract agreement in January. It's therefore unlikely that we would get much of fee for him, especially as money is tight in the SLP. We did not get any money for Cairney and Doolan is in the same position as Paul was.

Ow, you've just burst a bubble of optimism that I had; I was under the illusion that Craig was a youngster. Still, he seems lively enough to have another couple of scoring years at this level, or even higher.

Be good to keep Stevie, just my opinion and I know a few of you will say I'm being harsh, but I don't think Elliot/McGuigan are good enough at this level - not to say they won't be, and I'm more than happy to go with Jackie's instincts, he knows what he's doin, but normally I would fear the worst for us with no Doolan, but with Craig in the team, we're not really any weaker. They are different types of player, but both effective and both have got goals.

Doolan is prob still the better player, but Craig is great competition for him. Be interesting to see what Jackie does at Falkirk. Dools came on and looked lively, got a goal. But Craig is playing well.

What a fantastic problem to have.