Just In- Airdrie- Thistle 7 (Seven)

Duke Gekantawa

Yon Airdrie No 3 will be having nightmares over Erskine and O'Donnell. Hardly surprising the guy never made it out for the second half. Can't remember Jags players tormenting an opponent as much those two did to that hapless fella.

Really difficult to come up with a MotM today but it's ironic that after scoring seven goals perhaps the most deserving were our centrebacks, a holding midfielder and of course O'Donnell. Once again it was a team victory rather than just a few players playing exceptionally.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want to point out to everyone who claimed the reason for our fantastic result today was down to Airdrie being poor that prior to today's mauling Airdrie had lost a maximum of four goals in any of their games. We scored seven, that suggests to me that the result was more down to us bring brilliant than Airdrie being poor. We don't score 7 very often, enjoy it !!!!

We are discussing that at half time today - I'd imagine Jackie will give a few of the fringe players a run-out as this squad should have enough strength in depth to c off Cove.

Fecking hope he does not do that. That is when teams come unstuck and get embarressed.

Not suggesting for a second our 2nd team couldn't deal with Cove but why risk it ?

I can never understand the need to rest players unless they are carrying a knock which needs time to heal.

They are professional athletes and as such should be able to run about for 90 mins at least twice a week ffs !

Play our strongest team at all times and to feck with resting players, This is Thistle not the feckin Champions league !

Today was immense. Brillaint to watch and big claps to each and every one of the squad today.

Lets keep the winning mentality and not feck it up by changing things for the sake of it !

Yon Airdrie No 3 will be having nightmares over Erskine and O'Donnell. Hardly surprising the guy never made it out for the second half. Can't remember Jags players tormenting an opponent as much those two did to that hapless fella.

Really difficult to come up with a MotM today but it's ironic that after scoring seven goals perhaps the most deserving were our centrebacks, a holding midfielder and of course O'Donnell. Once again it was a team victory rather than just a few players playing exceptionally.

What an extraordinary decision by the Airdie manager ( Boyle?) to send his team back out after 5(?) minutes to stand around looking miserable for trhe resat ot the rest of the half-time interval. Talk about humiliation ! What on earth wasthe purpose of that?

For me the best moment of the game was not one of the seven goals but rather Muirhead's jinking 50 yard run. I counted five people he went past before drawing the foul. Fantastic stuff; what a player.

My thoughts exactly. This boy will go all the way to the top. A sensational player in the making.

My thoughts exactly. This boy will go all the way to the top. A sensational player in the making.

Agree with you on that but what about the way he picked himself up from the sending off tackle !

No fecking about, im hurt , deal with it and let me back on ! Total professional imho !

That was probably the biggest mis-match I've ever seen - it really should have been stopped to save Airdrie unnecessary punishment.

I think in end up it was! No injury time to speak of despite the game being stopped for a few mins with the red card/Muirhead tackle & subs!

Ref diddled us out another couple of goals I reckon! :)

I take it airdrie haven't watched us once this season?

I'm just struggling to comprehend tactics that played right into our hands. For the whole match!

Special mention to Sally & Griffin, who it seems don't appreciate the humour of the firhill shed, instead deciding to spend their warm up time getting more and more wound up and involved with the support.

At times we were untouchable today. Paton for me, has been our player of the first qtr. if ever there was a guy that typifies this team, it's him. Plays great football and is tough in the tackle. It's not a 50/50 ball, it's Paton's ball.

Unless we are promoted, muirhead will not be a thistle player next year. A cross between Scott Patterson and Davie irons. My dad today described him as better than Hansen.

I love watching bannigan, his first touch taking a ball out the air is perfect and his work rate is exceptional.

Balatoni must believe he's done enough to dislodge Archie in the team, which is mental because for me Archie is having his best season in a thistle shirt.

O'donnell was back to his best yesterday, quiet games on the smaller pitches in the last few weeks, but today he was bombing down the right wing. On his day, the best right back in the league.

If you are under the cosh and need to get the ball away from goal, just give it to lawless, the wee man just puts his head down and goes.

Welsh for me, just reminds me of Albert Craig ghosting in late into the box, great asset to have.

Erskine is a joy to watch nd is worth the admission fee. His vision and finishing have come on leaps and bounds in the close season, he's added a lot to his game. Added to the fact that defenders can't get near him without fouling him. He never hides and if he looses the ball or something doesn't come off, he just dusts himself down and asks for the ball back.

Craig is the sort of striker we haven't had since Escales, coy, knows how to invite a foul to get the all and our defenders up to the halfway line... but he never gives defenders a rest in the air and is great with the ball at his feet, if Mcguigan can come back from his rovers lone in this mould I'll be happy.

Doolan is doolan, a great great striker.

Forbes and slane I'm not sure about. Forbes is great with a dead ball, but if a choice between him and Shug, I'd take Shug.

All in all a great start to the season. Can't wait for the Dunfermline game. Should be a cracker.

Fecking hope he does not do that. That is when teams come unstuck and get embarressed.

Lets keep the winning mentality and not feck it up by changing things for the sake of it !

Agree with this. I thought before yesterday's game we'd have a big advantage as we had a competitive game in the cup last week while our opponents had a day off - and a fortnight between games. Getting regular games is important and teams - especially us - have come unstuck when weather stops games being played and they have spells without competitive games.

As you say keep playing the winning team until you're forced to make changes.

Saying that, if things are going well I'd expect the likes of Elliot and SInclair to come on as subs quite early probably Slane too though I'd rather another Thistle player got a game ahead of him unless there's a chance he might sign for us. The manager may rest someone - like Craig for instance - as a precaution when otherwise he might have risked him but I don't see, and hope I'm right - him making any changes he doesn't need to.

Finally there's this point. It's nice to be in the final of the Ramsden cup but we really need to get a good run in one of the 'big' cups and that means taking every game seriously, no matter the opponents

Edited by Mr Bunny

I take it airdrie haven't watched us once this season?

I'm just struggling to comprehend tactics that played right into our hands. For the whole match!

Special mention to Sally & Griffin, who it seems don't appreciate the humour of the firhill shed, instead deciding to spend their warm up time getting more and more wound up and involved with the support.

At times we were untouchable today. Paton for me, has been our player of the first qtr. if ever there was a guy that typifies this team, it's him. Plays great football and is tough in the tackle. It's not a 50/50 ball, it's Paton's ball.

Unless we are promoted, muirhead will not be a thistle player next year. A cross between Scott Patterson and Davie irons. My dad today described him as better than Hansen.

I love watching bannigan, his first touch taking a ball out the air is perfect and his work rate is exceptional.

Balatoni must believe he's done enough to dislodge Archie in the team, which is mental because for me Archie is having his best season in a thistle shirt.

O'donnell was back to his best yesterday, quiet games on the smaller pitches in the last few weeks, but today he was bombing down the right wing. On his day, the best right back in the league.

If you are under the cosh and need to get the ball away from goal, just give it to lawless, the wee man just puts his head down and goes.

Welsh for me, just reminds me of Albert Craig ghosting in late into the box, great asset to have.

Erskine is a joy to watch nd is worth the admission fee. His vision and finishing have come on leaps and bounds in the close season, he's added a lot to his game. Added to the fact that defenders can't get near him without fouling him. He never hides and if he looses the ball or something doesn't come off, he just dusts himself down and asks for the ball back.

Craig is the sort of striker we haven't had since Escales, coy, knows how to invite a foul to get the all and our defenders up to the halfway line... but he never gives defenders a rest in the air and is great with the ball at his feet, if Mcguigan can come back from his rovers lone in this mould I'll be happy.

Doolan is doolan, a great great striker.

Forbes and slane I'm not sure about. Forbes is great with a dead ball, but if a choice between him and Shug, I'd take Shug.

All in all a great start to the season. Can't wait for the Dunfermline game. Should be a cracker.

Pretty much agreed with everything you said until that statement, Slane hasn't been given the time to show off but for me Ross Forbes is the missing piece of the puzzle if Rowson isn't back in time. Breaks play up and a total danger from set pieces, something we haven't had since he who shall not be named since his transfer to Dundee. Personally think Shug is too slow and is unfortunately finished. I do agree with a lot of people saying Forbes is too heavy, if he drops a bit of weight I think we may have got ourselves a cracking player at still a very young age.

Aaron still has a bit to go to reach these guys standards (especially Hansen!!) but what a great prospect he is. Much respect to your dad but saying that he is better than Hansen is astonishing.......have a look at Alans career record!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Hansen#Honours

To this day Hansen is the best player I have ever seen wearing the red n yella. If big Aaron gets anywhere near that standard then we have a special player to look forward to in the next few years. The club should be looking to extend his contract as a matter of urgency so that it will take an offer that we cannot refuse, before he leaves the club!

I think PT's dad is right. Muirhead looks as good as Alan Hansen when he was at Thistle. There is no denying that Hansen had a fantastic record once he went to Liverpool. Can Muirhead emulate that ?

He certainly oozes class pretty much in the same way that Hansen did while he was still at Firhill. No complaint from me about O'Donnell getting MotM yesterday, but Muirhead must have run him very, very close.

As did Erskine.

And Bannigan.

And Paton.

etc. etc.

He certainly oozes class pretty much in the same way that Hansen did while he was still at Firhill. No complaint from me about O'Donnell getting MotM yesterday, but Muirhead must have run him very, very close.

As did Erskine.

And Bannigan.

And Paton.

etc. etc.

The SPL half of the ugly sisiters apparently looking at Muirhead!

He's definitely good enough for the SPL, be surprised if maybe a Dundee United/Hearts wouldn't take him before Celtic. But I think the sky is the limit for Muirhead, he's got everything, and has time on his side.

But I think he can play at a much much higher level, I'm just enjoying him while we've got him.