Attendances

Lenziejag2

Saturday's attendance was just 48% of the 7822 that turned up for the first night of the season against United. That's a colossal drop in numbers for such an attractive fixture on Saturday with no Christmas shopping excuses and no other sporting distractions. Makes it very difficult to predict cash-flow and it must be impossible at this stage to budget for players contracts beyond May. The board and the manager are doing a fantastic job with unpredictable resources.

Well I was at home for the first game so that's 1 down :-)

I think it's an unfair comparison for many reasons:- it was our first game of the season; it was United's first game of the season; it was our first game in the SPFL (SPL) for 10 years; we were presented with the first division flag; we played great football last season; we were playing against a manager that walked out on us; it was August; it was a Friday night when so far crowds have proved to be higher for us; there was a great buzz about the place.

Also, I've no idea of the DU support last Saturday, but I bet it was much less than half of the 2000 or so they brought in August.

No need for alarm bells, 3700 was a decent crowd for February if you ask me

Saturday's attendance was just 48% of the 7822 that turned up for the first night of the season against United. That's a colossal drop in numbers for such an attractive fixture on Saturday with no Christmas shopping excuses and no other sporting distractions.

Makes it very difficult to predict cash-flow and it must be impossible at this stage to budget for players contracts beyond May.

The board and the manager are doing a fantastic job with unpredictable resources.

Out of interest what's your take on the Tag Scheme?

Not winning at home will have taken its toll on the casual and neutral fan turning up.

At first I thought why would a neutral fan be concerned with whether we win or not. Then it occurs to me you'd be on the right track as a neutral is likely to attend with Jags fans. We've always had I believe an above average percentage of periphery support. It may be down to our urban location, cuddly toy image, everybody's favourite second team, Great Glasgow Alternative etc, or any combination of, but I've always felt we've got a relatively large dormant support.

Put another way clubs like Motherwell, Falkirk, Kilmarnock will be the third best supported clubs in their respective towns as we are in Glasgow. The difference, not necessarily just theoretical. is we'll have have a far larger pool of the non committed to draw from. Take away those in Falkirk that don't already support Rangers, Celtic or the home team and you've probably got very few left who could be persuaded to go along to New Brockville or whatever it's called. In the West of Glasgow there's bound to be far greater numbers of potential support. Trick isn't realising this it's doing something about it.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Out of interest what's your take on the Tag Scheme?

To be honest M'Lady, I have no idea really. Is that your point?

I do think that 'we' could be better at how we communicate with the fan base but I also accept that everyone involved with the club is giving up their spare time to do whatever it is that they do for the club. I think that if we really want anything better then the best way to get that is to get involved rather than complain.

What do you make of TAG?

To be honest M'Lady, I have no idea really. Is that your point?

I do think that 'we' could be better at how we communicate with the fan base but I also accept that everyone involved with the club is giving up their spare time to do whatever it is that they do for the club. I think that if we really want anything better then the best way to get that is to get involved rather than complain.

What do you make of TAG?

Wasn't really trying to be confrontational. My opinion is only that in plus marks the manager is far ahead of the the Board. Thus if the Board are doing as you say a "fantastic job" I'd then run out of superlatives to describe our manager. I'm not of a mind to exalt Archie to godlike status so regardless of so much good work the Board have carried out I can't agree they've been "fantastic". The Tag Scheme fiasco is the most obvious counter against the Board achieving a "fantastic" rating. There's things like the "North Stand move" and missed marketing opportunities,most notably no DVD of last season, that have also not helped the Board's case.

To repeat I'm not meaning to be confrontational just feel the Board are somewhat behind the management when it comes to handing out praise.

Wasn't really trying to be confrontational. My opinion is only that in plus marks the manager is far ahead of the the Board. Thus if the Board are doing as you say a "fantastic job" I'd then run out of superlatives to describe our manager. I'm not of a mind to exalt Archie to godlike status so regardless of so much good work the Board have carried out I can't agree they've been "fantastic". The Tag Scheme fiasco is the most obvious counter against the Board achieving a "fantastic" rating. There's things like the "North Stand move" and missed marketing opportunities,most notably no DVD of last season, that have also not helped the Board's case.

To repeat I'm not meaning to be confrontational just feel the Board are somewhat behind the management when it comes to handing out praise.

At what point do you think that the board go from all the negatives of the start of the season to moving into positive territory. Or is it the case that nothing will be able to make up for these errors in judgement ?

At what point do you think that the board go from all the negatives of the start of the season to moving into positive territory. Or is it the case that nothing will be able to make up for these errors in judgement ?

I wouldn't know. I think first of all they have to both recognise and admit to these errors in judgement. Some explanation re TAG is certainly due.

I'm maybe coming across too negative by not mentioning the sustained achievements that can be credited directly or indirectly to the Board. Only point I'm really making, and even then I'm only generalising, is I can't see how the Board could be described as doing a "fantastic job" when there's such obvious failings as mentioned. I could also mention two or other areas of concern but this isn't really the correct thread and anyway they've been done to death on here as it is.

I wouldn't know. I think first of all they have to both recognise and admit to these errors in judgement. Some explanation re TAG is certainly due.

I'm maybe coming across too negative by not mentioning the sustained achievements that can be credited directly or indirectly to the Board. Only point I'm really making, and even then I'm only generalising, is I can't see how the Board could be described as doing a "fantastic job" when there's such obvious failings as mentioned. I could also mention two or other areas of concern but this isn't really the correct thread and anyway they've been done to death on here as it is.

You are right, this isn't the correct thread. However, I will make one other observation.I think that the assessment of Archie's achievements is being made from the start of his tenure as manager( maybe even over his whole association with the club), but the assessment of the boards achievement is being made only on this season.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies! I am late! Attendances at last Saturday's SPFL Prem matches were as follows: Hibs v Ross Cty - 8411; Dundee Utd v Killie - 6038; M'well v PTFC - 5048; St Mirren v Aberdeen - 4073; ICT v Hearts - 3392. My impression is that the figures for Easter Road and Tannadice are shading downwards relative to their seasonal averages. Despite a big noisy Jags presence, the Fir Park figure was 479 fewer than the attendance last August 24th.

Apologies! I am late! Attendances at last Saturday's SPFL Prem matches were as follows: Hibs v Ross Cty - 8411; Dundee Utd v Killie - 6038; M'well v PTFC - 5048; St Mirren v Aberdeen - 4073; ICT v Hearts - 3392. My impression is that the figures for Easter Road and Tannadice are shading downwards relative to their seasonal averages. Despite a big noisy Jags presence, the Fir Park figure was 479 fewer than the attendance last August 24th.

I don't pay much attention, but that looks quite low for Hibs, but above average for the arabs. Not bad for 'Well and St. Midden, and even ICT. In any case, I think that the absence of the dead duck club isn't affecting overall attendances.

Let's get in straightaway with this weekend's SPFL Prem attendances: Hearts v Celtic - 15801; Dundee Utd v M'well - 7029; PTFC v Aberdeen - 4554; Killie v Hibs - 4036; Ross Cty v St Mirren - 3394; and St J v ICT - 2415. Good at Tynecastle and Tannadice, as also at Firhill. Rugby Park pretty good, also at Dingwall. Pitiful at Perth from the Prem's two worst-supported teams. Inverness to Perth is an easy run down the A9, whereas Paisley to Dingwall is a lot further, but 40% better attendance. Just how pitiful St J and ICT are is confirmed by Falkirk v QoS - 2862 and Dunfermline v Ayr - 2773.

Let's get in straightaway with this weekend's SPFL Prem attendances: Hearts v Celtic - 15801; Dundee Utd v M'well - 7029; PTFC v Aberdeen - 4554; Killie v Hibs - 4036; Ross Cty v St Mirren - 3394; and St J v ICT - 2415. Good at Tynecastle and Tannadice, as also at Firhill. Rugby Park pretty good, also at Dingwall. Pitiful at Perth from the Prem's two worst-supported teams. Inverness to Perth is an easy run down the A9, whereas Paisley to Dingwall is a lot further, but 40% better attendance. Just how pitiful St J and ICT are is confirmed by Falkirk v QoS - 2862 and Dunfermline v Ayr - 2773.

St mirren took 294 up today.

294 returned, calling for their managers head.

• Like 1

I think, to be fair, if you were neutral and lived in or around Inverness or Dingwall, you would probably opt for the local game regardless: so travelling support from both sides might be diminished, and not simply because of distances.

• 2 weeks later...

Jaggernaut is quite right! That ICT v Arabs attendance is really pathetic! Check out for comparison Ross Cty v Jags in the recent match in Dingwall. I feel sure Terry Butcher left ICT because of the miserable local support, but the Hibs attendances are beginning to ebb away from him as well - only 8277 at Easter Road for Hibs v Well at the weekend.

Jaggernaut is quite right! That ICT v Arabs attendance is really pathetic! Check out for comparison Ross Cty v Jags in the recent match in Dingwall. I feel sure Terry Butcher left ICT because of the miserable local support, but the Hibs attendances are beginning to ebb away from him as well - only 8277 at Easter Road for Hibs v Well at the weekend.

What crowd would that be? The reported attendance or the actual attendance. I'd be surprised if there were over 2000 yet they somehow came up with a figure of 3441.

Lady Isobel: I was there for the Dingwall game and am confident that the reported attendance is correct. With fans seated on all four sides of the ground nowadays, one might get the impression of smaller numbers, but this was a big match for RCFC as it was for PTFC, and was well supported all round.

Lady Isobel: I was there for the Dingwall game and am confident that the reported attendance is correct. With fans seated on all four sides of the ground nowadays, one might get the impression of smaller numbers, but this was a big match for RCFC as it was for PTFC, and was well supported all round.

Certainly looked nowhere like that to me. Nothing remotely like 55% full.

This weekend's SPFL Prem attendances: Kilie v Celtic - 7495; Dundee Utd v St - 6524; PTFC v Hibs - 4448; and St J v Ross Cty - 2213. Encouraging for Killie; down again at Tannadice; encouraging at Firhill - and thank you to the 963 Hibs fans who came along; pitiful again at Perth!

This weekend's SPFL Prem attendances: Cetic v St M - theoretically 46536; Abdn v Killie - 14029; Hearts v Dundee Utd - 13448; M'well v Ross Cty - 4080; St J v Hibs - 3553; ICT v PTFC - 3093. Perth and Inverness have both been awarded City status. Why are their local Prem football clubs so meagrely supported?

Caley has been discussed before. Clubs that lack great tradition fail to attract big number of fans. Wigan Ath would be an example although they have the Wigan Warriors to contend with.

It´s Saints which surprise me most. I think they had around 9,000 fans for the Europa League tie in August and they had a similar figure when they opened the new stadium but it´s attracting those fans on a regular basis the really difficult goal to achieve. You need football success, good pricing policy, financial success within the city/town, ...