Just In

chunky jag

Boring game, both teams poor, little in the way of clear cut chances.

We looked better in second half when we went two up top and a bit more direct, was a shame to see us resort to long balls, but we were so slow in possession and had no tempo about us, we would have played all day and not scored in my opinion.

Paul Paton by far best man on the pitch, I've said that quite a few teams this season. Conrad had a good game too. Outside of that, nobody really impressed. Welsh and Forbes in particular off the boil.

Hope Bannigan is ok, got a sore 1 in the first half and had to be subbed.

I think its time to return to the team that done the business the first few games, unless of course Bannigan is out.

I've not been impressed with Forbes at all barring a couple of set pieces against Morton. I seen a post on here saying he was excellent last week, but really its easy to say everybody was excellent when we hammered a duff team who were out of their depth against us. Shuggy has had a few weeks out to recharge the batteries and should replace him IMO.

Don't think Craig should retain his place either. He has some good games and some really quiet ones. The high balls didn't help at all, but Dods owned him all day and he couldn't shake him off or create things himself when he had the ball. Doolan is far more consistent and just a better player in general with a fantastic first touch and he brings others into play.

Welsh and Lawless had poor games, but they've had runs of good form prior so I'm willing to count it as an off day. Not impressed by Elliot either when he came on, I've still got my doubts about him.

Paton had one bad moment when he lost his runner in the second half and missed a tackle completely, but otherwise was excellent. The back four were solid too. I noticed players slipping all over the shop and Balatoni's lone "error" came when he slipped and missed the ball completely but we recovered to deal with the danger in the end.

Edited by MWM

I take your point about Murray, but I personally would persist with Forbes for another game or 2. Craig today - I would disagree Dods owned him, thought he won his fair share of headers, held the ball up well at times. Wasn't his best performance, but I don't think he gave Dods an easy time of it and at times was starved of any decent service/support. But I do agree with you, Doolan is a better player and it may be time he returns to starting line up.

Edited by chunky jag

That was tough. Falkirk didn't try to play football- they were content to stop us playing and I think we were totally confident playing the ball. It was only in the last 15 mins that we starters hitting he ball long and even with Dods arms all over Craig he still managed to win a lot. Falkirk got behind us twice in the whole game and Fox only had to make 1 save. In the 2nd half we were by far the more dangerous. Despite he draw I enjoyed it.

Horrible game to play , Craig tried but nothing came off for him- He is a threat but i though Doolan would have been a better option v their CD's but on the other hand why change a winning team. Tackle on Bannigan was poor- Overall ref had a nightmare. Lots of positives to take, a point at the Bairnabeau is a good result.

Overall , another clean sheet. Back 4 looked sharp and solid, Looked good going forward and out classes Falkirk.

As Maxy said on twitter "If you can't win don't get beat"

Onwards and Upwards

Worst game of the season but I would have settled for a point b4 the game. Neither side created much and Falkirk were content not to lose the game rather than try and win it. Barring one slip I thought big Conrad had another great game and Archie will struggle to get back in if he keeps this form up. Gonna be a cracker in a fortnights time and a game where we need every jags fan possible to get along to the old stadium and back the club 100%

I think its time to return to the team that done the business the first few games, unless of course Bannigan is out.

I've not been impressed with Forbes at all barring a couple of set pieces against Morton. I seen a post on here saying he was excellent last week, but really its easy to say everybody was excellent when we hammered a duff team who were out of their depth against us. Shuggy has had a few weeks out to recharge the batteries and should replace him IMO.

Don't think Craig should retain his place either. He has some good games and some really quiet ones. The high balls didn't help at all, but Dods owned him all day and he couldn't shake him off or create things himself when he had the ball. Doolan is far more consistent and just a better player in general with a fantastic first touch and he brings others into play.

Welsh and Lawless had poor games, but they've had runs of good form prior so I'm willing to count it as an off day. Not impressed by Elliot either when he came on, I've still got my doubts about him.

Paton had one bad moment when he lost his runner in the second half and missed a tackle completely, but otherwise was excellent. The back four were solid too. I noticed players slipping all over the shop and Balatoni's lone "error" came when he slipped and missed the ball completely but we recovered to deal with the danger in the end.

Christ almighty, do you have anything positive to say at all???

0-0 away to Falkirk is not a disaster, so how about you wind your neck in?

We are joint top, fate in our own hands. There will be numerous points dropped before mid-May. Next league game is crucial, yeah, but no need for your diatribe.

100% confident in Jackie and Sid - let them get on with it.

Christ almighty, do you have anything positive to say at all???

0-0 away to Falkirk is not a disaster, so how about you wind your neck in?

We are joint top, fate in our own hands. There will be numerous points dropped before mid-May. Next league game is crucial, yeah, but no need for your diatribe.

100% confident in Jackie and Sid - let them get on with it.

I assume reading isn't one of your strong points?

No idea why Falkirk decided to play for a draw at home, isn't Elvis always advocating playing football the right way?

The referee was utter shite.

Balatoni was brilliant bar the slip, man of the match for me. I'd bring Doolan back into the team next week, I'd also drop Forbes for Murray to give Paton a bit more freedom.

I thought he won the ball and seeing a picture won't really change my mind and I'd need to wait for the highlights if it's shown in them.

It was a foul but from what I saw at the time it looked like he got a foot to the top of the ball, it hit off Bannigan and went out of play and then he followed through injuring Banigan.

I thought he won the ball and seeing a picture won't really change my mind and I'd need to wait for the highlights if it's shown in them.

It was a foul but from what I saw at the time it looked like he got a foot to the top of the ball, it hit off Bannigan and went out of play and then he followed through injuring Banigan.

The way you call it doesn't altar fact that it was a poor challenge.

Top of the ball or not he was studs up & should've been a foul & at least a yellow.

The way you call it doesn't altar fact that it was a poor challenge.

Top of the ball or not he was studs up & should've been a foul & at least a yellow.

I'm not saying it wasn't. I was simply stating that it's not so mental that Falkirk fans thought he got the ball first as I thought so too.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

Whether he went for the ball, or even won it, is not relevant (well it is, but only in deciding whether it should have been yellow or red). This was one of a number of reckless challenges by Falkirk that went completely unpunished. And the rules are clear (in my opinion quite rightly) that reckless challenges are both a foul and a caution regardless of intent or whether the ball is played. Yet the ref kept giving them countless decisions for every innoccuous coming together.

As for the game as a whole, I'd be embarrassed if I were a Falkirk fan- a professional team on their budget, at home, should not be so blatantly playing for the nil-nil, especially this early in the season and without any serious relegation fears. We weren't great by any means, but it's hard enough breaking down a lower division or part time team playing like that, never mind a team like Falkirk.

Edited by Duke Gekantawa

Better wait to see the video but I didn't think it was as bad a tackle as Jackie is making out. Madden made some eccentric decisions today but I felt at the time some sympathy with him re that tackle. I may well be proved wrong.

I've seen too many games spoiled by over officious look-at-me refs to get too worked up about the ref today and anyway the non-stand linesman was far more culpable.

The thing that puzzles me most is why Falkirk appeared happier to play for and accept a draw. We were the away side yet ended up with three out and out strikers on the pitch. Can't get my head round that and in that respect I feel we were kinda understandably wrong footed. Normally we should really be happy with a point away from home at Falkirk but maybees when we realise just how unambitious they are we might feel a bit deflated.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Did a Morton player not suffer a broken ankle after a tackle by Murray? The Falkirk player risked doing the same but I suggest that the "righteous indignation" being shown here is perhaps, at best, slightly hypocritical.

Bad tackles are made by all teams and similarly all teams are victims of bad tackles - it is fortunate, on the occasion, that Bannigan escaped without a break,

• Like 1

Did a Morton player not suffer a broken ankle after a tackle by Murray? The Falkirk player risked doing the same but I suggest that the "righteous indignation" being shown here is perhaps, at best, slightly hypocritical.

Bad tackles are made by all teams and similarly all teams are victims of bad tackles - it is fortunate, on the occasion, that Bannigan escaped without a break,

No righteous indignation being shown. Murray's challenge was reckless and was rightly punished- the Falkirk player's challenge wasn't. That's what bothers me. Particularly as he gave so many free kicks to them for nothing.

No righteous indignation being shown. Murray's challenge was reckless and was rightly punished- the Falkirk player's challenge wasn't. That's what bothers me. Particularly as he gave so many free kicks to them for nothing.

Even Pressley has admitted it was a "high" tackle

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/4613719/Spotlight-on-Division-One.html

Edited by Lindau

As the original poster wrote, just about all of our build-up play was far too slow yesterday, especially in the first half. All the side-to-side passing serves no purpose whatsoever if the other team simply withdraws en masse into their own half, which is what Falkirk did every time. That meant that we had no space in which to slot through balls for a player already on a run, which is exactly what Erskine and Lawless are especially good at, along with our fullbacks. Credit to JM for trying with three strikers near the end, but I think he should have gone to some kind of plan B much earlier.

As for Falkirk, boring as their tactics were, I think that Pressley got it right, as they stopped a high-scoring team from scoring, and could even have snatched the win. Great block by Fox in the first half, and a couple of decent stops too in the second. I wish he'd come off his line a bit more at corners, though. Hmm, corners; they must have had at least twice as many as us, in spite of all the "great" football we were playing.

Great overall performances by Paton and especially Balatoni, with Bannigan playing well until he had to go off.

That's only 2 points won out of 9 available from our last 3 away matches. Not brilliant, and so we're quite fortunate that Dunfermline have also lost a few. Got to beat them; no doubt about it.