Partick Thistle V Cove Rangers

jagfox

The Scottish Cup seems to start earlier and earlier each season. Here we are though and we face an interesting tussle with HFL leaders Cove. Hopefully we'll start at a later run next season.

On paper a straight forward looking tie, but we shouldn't treat our opponents lightly.

It's a chance to work on the lessons learned at Falkirk as we should be looking to take the game to our visitors.

Will Jackie shuffle the pack a little or look to play his first choice team with an eye on the top of the table clash with the Pars coming up? Dunfermline tried to bring forward their April fixture with Falkirk. Pressley wasn't up for it as he's given their players the weekend off.

Decent price structure so would be good to get a couple of thousand fans along to this. Don't think Cove have the biggest support in their league but it is a big game for them and I hope they travel in numbers.

I hope the Jags can win and go on another good cup run.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be a straight forward victory, can see the likes of scully and elliot starting, however i hope scully does not produce another queens park performance, saw him at the ayr reserve matxh at k park and made a few very important saves so he seems a bit unreliable,elliot just needs a bit of confidenxe and needs another striker up with him imo. Could also see archie and murray reintroduced for this one. Cove will put in a performance but il say a 4-0 thistle result, the only guarentee, it will be a harder game than airdrie.

I am expecting a few key players (e.g. Fox, Archie, Erskine, Lawless, Welsh) to be rested or sit on the bench. It's a good opportunity for Elliot, Slane and Rowson to start.

Can't see Fox been rested, from the Reseve match last night:-

"Of more concern than the result was an injury sustained by Ryan Scully in the first half. Ryan unfortunately suffered a concussion after colliding with a Stenhousemuir player as the two went for a 50/50 ball. Ryan, who was taken to hospital, also damaged his shoulder and back and although the medical staff saw no reason to be unduly concerned, he must be rated as a doubt for Saturday’s game with Cove Rangers in the Scottish Cup."

Muirhead and Lawless are young guys in their first season of first team football at FT level and they've played every game (or near enough) so I'd rest them. Bannigan's injury leaves Sinclair as a straight swap, and Slane- if Celtic are letting him play and maybe even Rowser could do with a game, so something like

Fox

O'Donnell

Balatoni

Archibald

Sinclair

Murray

Forbes

Welsh

Slane

Doolan

Elliott

Subs: Wightman, Muirhead, Rowson, Craig, Erskine

I've ended up resting Paton as well. If Slane is ineligible or still has toothache then play Erskine. Should still be more than strong enough.

edit: looked up the cutoff date for u21s and it's 2 players born after 1/1/91 for this so it's no issue for us, thought it might have been 1/1/92 which could have.

Edited by Ancipital

If we can get away with it we'd be daft not to select Craig.

Rowson played 90 mins the other night so he could be worth a start.

I'd imagine a few regulars getting rested but Doolan, Slane (can't imagine Celtic will be concerned about him being cup tied), Murray, Elliot, Forbes & Sinclair all will benefit from a game. Just for insurance I'd have as strong a bench as possible.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

If we can get away with it we'd be daft not to select Craig.

Rowson played 90 mins the other night so he could be worth a start.

I'd imagine a few regulars getting rested but Doolan, Slane (can't imagine Celtic will be concerned about him being cup tied), Murray, Elliot, Forbes & Sinclair all will benefit from a game. Just for insurance I'd have as strong a bench as possible.

Yeah I'd go with that. I'd also give Elliot a start. Give him the full game, and if he can't score against this mob he never f*ckin will!

We have a full time squad of football players, surely to Christ they can play a game each week? A couple of changes to boost the confidence of the likes of Elliot fair enough but we don't need to rest loads of players.

I think it's in case of injuries. We want to avoid injuries to important players if we possibly can, so from that perspective it makes sense not to play the likes of Welsh, Fox or Doolan if we can help it.

If Scully's injured, I wonder if Jackie will give Wightman a start. I don't see it myself, but it would be a good game to do it. Besides that, I would start Elliot, Rowson and Slane (assuming Celtic agree), and maybe Murray, but still have a strong bench in case things go pear shaped (as at Queen's Park). With that in mind, perhaps:

Fox

O'Donnell Balatoni Archiebald Sinclair

Rowson Murray Paton

Slane Elliot Erskine

Bench: Whightman, Welsh, Lawless, Doolan, Muirhead

Last night I watched Ajax playing ONS Sneek in Dutch cup. ONS are an amateur team from 4th tier. Ajax decided to drop most of 1st team. They only won 2-0 scoring 1st in 74 mins and then second with 3 mins to go after surviving a lot of scares during match.

Its easy to drop players etc but after our cup scare last year and also against Queens this season I would say treat opponents with maximum repsect and play as strong a team as possible. Maybe bring in Doolan for Craig but no wholesale tinkering. If winning comfortably at half time then yes bring in few more youngsters.

Get job done properly and then think about tinkering with team.

Last night I watched Ajax playing ONS Sneek in Dutch cup. ONS are an amateur team from 4th tier. Ajax decided to drop most of 1st team. They only won 2-0 scoring 1st in 74 mins and then second with 3 mins to go after surviving a lot of scares during match.

Its easy to drop players etc but after our cup scare last year and also against Queens this season I would say treat opponents with maximum repsect and play as strong a team as possible. Maybe bring in Doolan for Craig but no wholesale tinkering. If winning comfortably at half time then yes bring in few more youngsters.

Get job done properly and then think about tinkering with team.

We just need to remember Culter ( not far from Cove when I come to think of it!), or Deveronvale., or Forres Mechanics running New Gers very close in the previous round.. No game should be approached with the attitude that we willl cruise, no matter what the opposition.

Like Amsterdam Jag I saw what can happen if you rest players last night when the mighty Dynamo Moscow needed two goals in the last ten minutes to come from behind in the Russian Cup at home to FC Khimki who Dumbarton would struggle to lose to, ffs.

Nah. Near full first-team to start and if we get a few ahead then make the changes.

Like Amsterdam Jag I saw what can happen if you rest players last night when the mighty Dynamo Moscow needed two goals in the last ten minutes to come from behind in the Russian Cup at home to FC Khimki who Dumbarton would struggle to lose to, ffs.

Nah. Near full first-team to start and if we get a few ahead then make the changes.

Dynamo Moscow? Dumbarton would probably take care of them as well.

From the managers's comments in the match preview

"When we played Queen’s Park in the Ramsdens Cup we made a number of changes, but I don’t see us doing the same tomorrow. I want those players currently in possession of a first team jersey out on the park trying to make sure that they keep their place in the side for next week’s big game with Dunfermline Athletic.”

“Paul Slane won’t be involved but Ross County have given us clearance for Steven Craig to play. Stuart Bannigan will obviously not play following his injury last week, and Ryan Scully picked up a concussion during Tuesday night’s reserve game with Stenhousemuir. I’ll speak with the doctor and physio before we make a final decision on Ryan, but if he isn’t fit then James Wightman will sit on the bench tomorrow.”

Those comments suggest that that the team will be similar to last week's

Fox

O'Donnell

Muirhead

Balatoni

Sinclair

Paton

Welsh

Forbes

Lawless

Erskine

Craig

Subs

Scully/Wightman

Archibald

Murray

Elliott

Doolan

As stated earlier, I would pick Doolan ahead of Craig and, possibly, Murray instead of Forbes.

Edited by kni