Caley Thistle

read'n'yell

So caley have now been in the SPL for a few years and are an established team. But it gets on my nerves when people refer to them as "the jags". Their nickname is Caley.

Today I heard a caley fan talk about their "new" song. Here it is..

"If you want to go to heaven when you die, you must wear your caley shirt, your caley tie"

Is this a step too far? Not sure the origins of this song but to me their completely trying to take over our identity. Next thing they'll be wearing red and yellow.

So caley have now been in the SPL for a few years and are an established team. But it gets on my nerves when people refer to them as "the jags". Their nickname is Caley.

Today I heard a caley fan talk about their "new" song. Here it is..

"If you want to go to heaven when you die, you must wear your caley shirt, your caley tie"

Is this a step too far? Not sure the origins of this song but to me their completely trying to take over our identity. Next thing they'll be wearing red and yellow.

Not sure if any other clubs use that song but I'm fairly certain that there is no concentrated effort to undermine us in any way whatsoever.

• Like 1

There are a number of "Thistles" in Scotland, most if not all of which use the nickname "the Jags". We are but one of these. This has always been so- I don't really see the problem.

In Inverness's case, for fans of a certain age anyway, I would imagine that about half their fans prefer Caley and the other half prefer the Jags depending on which founder team they supported.

"Singing Ah'm no a Caley Ah'm a Jag",

"singing Ah'm no a Jag Ah'm a Caley" ("Whit? feck off, we're called the Jags noo", "naw, you feck off we're the Caley, that's whit we agreed when we formed this club, remember", "look we're the Caley THISTLE, right!", "och come here ya bam". Cracking of jaw heard throughout the royal city of Inverness)

Song doesn't get finished.

• Like 3

This is one I actually understand, given that I got into football partly thanks to a "Caley Jag". I think it's because ICT were formed from the merger between Caledonian and Inverness Thistle. Inverness Thistle always called themselves the Jags, Caledonian were Caley. The natural nickname for the merged team was the Caley Jags.

However, my mate who was a Caledonian fan calls ICT "Caley", never anything else. My other mate who was an Inverness Thistle fan calls ICT "The Jags", never anything else. I think they both have a bit of healthy rivalry over what they nickname it thanks to the "background" they came from before the merger.

And yes, they both wind me up and try to get me to support the "real" Thistle instead of what they call the "kiddy-on Jags". I like to humour them.

I always favoured the old Inverness Thistle, red and black striped strips, as a mate followed them. I remember going up to see us play an Inverness select at Telford street(?) and we were made very welcome at the Caley club afterwards.

"If you want to go to heaven when you die;

you must keep the Red Flag flying high;

Get yourself a red bonnet;

and put 'F*** the Scousers' on it;

If you want to go to heaven when you die"

A quick google search has found one other team that sings this is Man Utd. Does anyone know how long this song has been about or it's origins? Our lyrics seem to flow better but I guess that can be put down to years of hearing it our way. Always find songs an interesting topic in football, especially when not discussing any bigotry or racial.

P.S the jags thing is always going to be a minor irk to me but I accept it can be any thistles nickname. Would just of thought that their supporters, regardless of background, would want an individual nickname not already taken by a senior club. But I intended to make a point about the song, not the nickname. (Yet once again I find myself mentioning the nickname!!)

A club to be filed alongside Livingston. I thought most Thistle fans refused to have anything to do with the merger and that the majority of the support consists of ex-Caley fans. I must admit it annoys me as well - it would have been different if Thistle had been admitted to the SFL in the '70s - which they should've been.

Clyde sing that song in a, you'll never have guessed anti-Thistle way.

"you must wear a Shawfield bonnet with **** the Thistle on it

if you want to go to heaven when you die"

Bunch of losers.

You mean in the same way we sing a song about Kilmarnock when we are very rarely in the same league?

Does that make us losers?