Just In V Raith

Hopeisimportant

I see Forbes is getting a bit of grief.

One thing I would say is that he's probably worth about a goal a game with his set pieces, and he could be the difference between us winning promotion and not, despite him sometimes being slugglish and ponderous.

Would we have won Livi game if he hadn't set up Sinclair with that cross? Dunfermline 5-1 game could have been completely different without his cross for Balatoni's goal to make it 2-1. I wasn't there yesterday but sounds like he had the corner for Craig's goal.

Given the tight margins he is absolutely vital. Even though I think Welsh, Paton and Bannigan are all better all-round players than him, one would have to make way for Forbes because of how important his delivery.

I'm not sure about his. His lack of mobility allows breaking teams to run straight through our midfield. There were times when he just gave up as opposition players passed him with ease. He's also unable to cover the flanks when others are out of position. His delivery is normally excellent, yes, but his contrbution to open play is debatable and he will cost us a few goals this season. Can't wait for Welsh to return personally.

I'm not sure about his. His lack of mobility allows breaking teams to run straight through our midfield. There were times when he just gave up as opposition players passed him with ease. He's also unable to cover the flanks when others are out of position. His delivery is normally excellent, yes, but his contrbution to open play is debatable and he will cost us a few goals this season. Can't wait for Welsh to return personally.

I can't wait for Welsh to play either tbh. I'm pretty sure Welsh and Paton will be picked every game by Jackie when fit, so it's a conundrum what to do.

I personally think he might start trying Bannigan as a winger. Clearly very versatile, and possibly worth playing ahead of Lawless in more physical games, although Lawless is always good for a goal.

I can't wait for Welsh to play either tbh. I'm pretty sure Welsh and Paton will be picked every game by Jackie when fit, so it's a conundrum what to do.

I personally think he might start trying Bannigan as a winger. Clearly very versatile, and possibly worth playing ahead of Lawless in more physical games, although Lawless is always good for a goal.

Good problems and bad problems, thankfully Jackie has to deal with the former. Trying to fit Forbes, Paton, Welsh and Bannigan all into the midfield is a difficult one. As Arch said in an earlier post Forbes set pieces could be vital plus his distribution more than decent. Paton is imo the heartbeat of the team and as long as he's fully fit surely a certain starter. Bannigan is a real 90 minute player, clearly the most versatile of the foursome and still improving. Welsh combines some of the best features of the other three with the box to box stuff. He's also the only one that carries a threat in the air, which in turn maybe makes him a better defender than Stuart or Ross, at set pieces anyway..

As for dropping Lawless to play the above four I'm not convinced. If you think of him as a wide midfielder that chips in with a few goals I can see where he could be better coming off the bench. But his goal ratio (10 in 19 games, I'm told) is a decent enough return for an out and out striker. Agree tho' that Bannigan would be fine wide left. The interplay with Sinclair and himself is great.

I don't suppose Welsh will be back to full fitness for a while yet and by that time there's always the likelihood others will be injured or suspended. If/when all the midfield are fit Jackie's got some decisions to make. Nice problem, tho'.

For anybody to even consider dropping Lawless is mad. At this moment in the season we would be 6 points worse of :- 1-0 away against Dunfermline, (only goal), 2-0 away Livingstone(both goals) and yesterdays game would have resulted in a draw. In recent games he has been mainly used as a right midfielder, in the livingstone game he was more in the defending role than attacking and yesterday when Erskine was taken off we went to a 4-4-2 with Craig and McGuigan up front. Also he is the clubs top scorer at the moment in his first season in a new league and new team. Personally think we have not seen the best of him this season.

I'm not suggesting dropping Lawless long term or even regularly, but some of the away games he has been strangled a wee bit.

I think he's excellent, but Raith, Morton, and Hamilton x2 away he's been marked out the game. I just think Bannigan on the front three might work better on some occasions, when it's a bit more scrappy.

Outside of the striker and back 4, you have Paton, Forbes, Welsh, Bannigan, Lawless, and Erskine that should be playing every week. But 6 doesn't fit into 5, so someone has to miss out. It's just who drops out.

And I'm pretty sure Paton, Welsh and Erskine will play every week. So it's down to 3 for 2. It's bloody tough, but great situation to be in.

I see Forbes is getting a bit of grief.

One thing I would say is that he's probably worth about a goal a game with his set pieces, and he could be the difference between us winning promotion and not, despite him sometimes being slugglish and ponderous.

Would we have won Livi game if he hadn't set up Sinclair with that cross? Dunfermline 5-1 game could have been completely different without his cross for Balatoni's goal to make it 2-1. I wasn't there yesterday but sounds like he had the corner for Craig's goal.

Given the tight margins he is absolutely vital. Even though I think Welsh, Paton and Bannigan are all better all-round players than him, one would have to make way for Forbes because of how important his delivery.

Forbes has a sweet left foot on him, and can find a pass with almost Charnley-esque skill.

In open games, especially when we are a couple of goals to the good, he is a cracker.

However, he is NOT one for the trenches. In games like yesterday, or down at Greenock last month or the cup game at Cowden, he really contributes little. When the going gets tough... Forbes goes off and makes a cup of tea! Yeh, all right, that's a bit harsh - most Thistle teams over the last decade he'd be in every week. But if it IS a case of perming three from four, as you suggest above, out of Forbes, Welsh, Paton and Bannigan then Forbes, for me, would usually be the one to miss out.

Edited by Watson Towers

My wee son aged 10 is more knowledgeable

about tactics and rules and regs than me (I'm a tactical diddy who needs specs), he has always rated Paton and Ballatoni as great players. And of course Esrkine. You've got to enjoy this season... what a tonic! So proud to be jag this year.

Edit: had to check spelling of "knowledgeable"!!!

Edited by alx
  • Like 1

Really good three points that looked like slipping away.

Clancy is easily one of the worst referees about; he is absolutely terrible. He plays some decent advantages at times but just doesn't seem to understand the game. Archie's booking for winning a header was completely ludicrous and it was a blatant penalty on McGuigan. Laurie Ellis also obstructed McGuigan on, at least, three occasions before a foul was given. He's overly keen to stop the game at times then ignores clear fouls. It's not exaggeration to say he could have cost us the championship had we not taken three points yesterday - and that's ignoring his ineptitude in the first Raith game where he let Mensing stay on the pitch. It's not even a case of us claiming victimisation; he's equally as bad for the opposition. Did Sinclair's arm touch the ball towards the end of the game? I couldn't see clearly enough.

I think most people would have left the game very impressed with Brian Graham; certainly the best game I've seen him have against us. Very difficult to deal with due to his height and his footwork was excellent. He gave Archie a torrid time and probably didn't deserve to be on the losing side. Far more impressed with him than I ever was with Baird. I've always maintained the belief that we have the best striker in the league in Doolan but may have to rethink that on yesterday's showing.

Still remain unconvinced by Graeme Smith. He was extremely lucky when he nearly gifted Graham the ball in his six-yard box and his reluctance to come off his line almost cost us a goal (it also caused him to injure himself). Seems a bit cumbersome and slow to get down to things although, that aforementioned mistake aside, his kicking does seem to be improving with his fitness. I fear what will transpire if we continue with him against Morton after the corners fiasco at Cappielow.

Muirhead is wasted at full-back. He can get forward to good effect (not as effectively as O'Donnell, mind you, who was a big miss) but I feel we miss the organisational qualities he brings when playing at centre-half. Archie nor Conrad are the biggest talkers but Muirhead does that well and ensures we hold our line and get out when required. With everyone fit, I think our first choice back four picks itself now - O'Donnell, Muirhead, Balatoni and Sinclair - which is harsh on Archie who has been, largely, excellent this season.

Great to have Paton back. Happy to concede that I was completely wrong about his move to midfield and it has been a masterstroke from Jackie. People perhaps sell him short by considering him a "midfield enforcer", if you like, but his range of passing is excellent and he is far more than simply an aggressor in the middle of the pitch.

I thought Forbes was lucky not to be subbed as I felt he contributed very little defensively and caused us to be overrun at times in midfield. His quality at set-pieces is invaluable although they weren't up to the usual high standard yesterday.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are teams interested in Bannigan come January. Great finish for his goal and his work rate is simply outstanding; must be the fittest player at the club. His capability to play equally as well at left back as he can in midfield is another great asset and I would definitely say he's the best player to come through our youth system in my time watching Thistle.

Stevie Craig was excellent, tired a little in the second half which caused him to be quieter than usual but then pops up with the winner. He did brilliantly well for the opening goal and his ability to bully defenders is something we've been missing for years. We must find a way to keep him.

I thought McGuigan looked lively when he came on and definitely looks a yard or two quicker than last season. He still has work to do on his movement and his ability to stay onside but I think he could become a very good player for us.

Come the end of the season, I think we'll look back on this result and consider what an important three points it was.

I thought Forbes was lucky not to be subbed as I felt he contributed very little defensively and caused us to be overrun at times in midfield. His quality at set-pieces is invaluable although they weren't up to the usual high standard yesterday.

A fully fit Rowser with games under his belt to bring on as a sub for Forbes and break up Rovers impressive second half midfield moves was the obvious solution. Not an option available to us unfortunately.

Forbes reminds me of Ian Cameron much more so than Chic. Who to pick for the midfield? Not a bad problem to have.

Triple awesome performance yesterday - passed a test of character with flying colours, which is all the more remarkable when you consider the average age of the squad and the relative youth of the management team.

My finest time as a Jags fan.

I'll play devil's advocate then.

I thought the ref actually didn't have such a bad game....and he was certainly a major factor in making it so exciting. It's probably easy to say that when you win though!

There were numerous (what looked like) fouls he let go but I really think on balance it probably suited us as it helped us keep the pressure on.

I'm pretty sure he played the advantage for the penalty that never was (given). The controvery at Dens last weekend sounded like a similar situation so I am not surprised that, when the chance had passed, he did not award the spot kick. All the same, I bet he was releieved when we scored shorly afterwards!

Archie's booking was for dissent, I am pretty sure. He had a right go at the ref.