Anybody Worried Yet?

Jaggernaut

Its gonna be a close thing , I think they key will be injuries. If we can get everyone fit and keep them fit then we have as good a chance as we have had in years of winning the league. If Morton lose their experienced players then they likely will struggle as we have for the last few weeks. Still to close to call IMO.

I'm not overly worried...yet.

But, our away form, as per usual, needs to improve and fast. Winning our home matches is not enough to secure promotion this season, and with us out of the two main cup competitions we have no excuses for not focusing on the league.

The simple fact is that genuine promotion contenders CANNOT go to places like Airdrie and not pick up maximum points.

I still see The Pars as more of a title threat than Morton overall, however my prediction was correct when I said we'd find Morton more of a threat head to head. Morton draw a lot of matches, and we need to keep pace. Their good run will come to an end eventually and we need to be in striking distance to overtake them.

I sat and looked at Div1 history over the last decade, and it's clear that between 70-80pts is usually enough to win the league. However the majority of teams that win the division, lose less than 6 games a season. I think 5 losses is average. The most losses in a season to still win the league in recent times was Gretna with 12.

The league is still well in our hands with a game in hand. We also play a lot of teams in the bottom half of the table in the coming weeks, which is usually the ones we struggle against.

We need to bounce back on Wednesday against Hamilton. Our record against them has been pretty crap this season, but if we take our chances when they are presented (and play Doolan), we will come away with three points.

Keep the faith.

Gretna lost 8. As did we in 2001/2. We've still only lost 3, but we do need to pick up more points away from home, which is stating the obvious I know.

Since the 5-1 game we've been very inconsistent, more like last year. Only really Livingston was a good performance since that point. I think the first big mistake Jackie's made this season was rushing back Welsh and O'Donnell for the Morton game.

Smith's contract must be up shortly, I wonder if we'll keep him.

Gretna lost 8. As did we in 2001/2. We've still only lost 3, but we do need to pick up more points away from home, which is stating the obvious I know.

Yip, my mistake. It was eight right enough.

That's still a lot of losses. They didn't even reach 70pts that season and still won the league.

I suppose there must have been something else unusual that season -2 or more teams challenging perhaps. I don't know just guessing ?

Are you talking about 2001/02? If so then i've been drawing a hell of a lot of parallels with this team and that one. It's quite strange.

It will take more points to win it this year than it did in 01/02.

That season was strange indeed. Everyone was beating everyone, and us and Airdrie were the only teams who could put a run together. Then Airdrie fell away but we were extremely lucky that they kept losing as we lost a good few ourselves.

Why the panic? Of the 16 games we have played, we deserve to have won 13 instead of 10, drawn 2 instead of 3, and lost 1 instead of 3. If we were in a position where we were getting points that we did not deserve, then there might be cause for concern, but we are not and there is not. We are by far the best footballing team in the league, who have just happened to have gone off the boil.

Dont panic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One change came after another that came after another. Now compare todays team to the team at the start of the season. Really no surprise it isn't doing well. Lost our shape completely.

I say it every week but O'Donnell is key. As is Welsh. Muirhead back to centre back please (drop archie, not performance based but tactically). Emergency loan for a right back? Anyone not getting a game in SPL? Until O'Donnell is back. Welsh Paton Forbes middle three with Erskine Lawless and Craig upfront please.

AND we will win again! Alan Moore was just discussing how the influence of one key player, Hardie, has had on their form. Plus the contribution from Ru(tikiweisaneicnx ..)

• Like 2

NO!!! We are having a bad spell and have dropped alot of points recently but get 3 or 4pts from our games in hand and we are right back up there. The games between the top three teams will be important and as longas we win a few of them we will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. Morton will go through a bad spell hopefully as both us and dunfermline are having ours right now. Think alot of folk need to stop the negativity and get right behind the team for the remainder of the season. At the end of the day we are still in a pretty decent position for this time of the year. Come on the jags!!

I am worried now. I think the last game we played well and won was the Livi game at Firhill in November, nearly 2 months ago. After that we stole an undeserved win against Raith and thought it was the sign of a team who could win while playing badly. Since then the wheels have loosened if not come right off- there's certainly a degree of mental fragility that didn't seem to be there in the first quarter of the season when we never looked like dropping points once we went in front.

First quarter P9 W7 D1 L1 = 22 points, title winning form and more

Second quarter P9 W3 D3 L3 = 12 points, mid table form at best. I accept we've played Livi twice and not Cowden in this run of 9 but the point still stands, this looks to be more than a temporary blip. Teams have worked us out to a degree and we need to adapt.

I know this is being discussed in other threads, but I think we need to get Muirhead back to centre half and sort the team out that way. Since O'Donnell got injured, a previously tight defence has lost 9 goals in 5 games. For me we lose more with him at RB than we would with Paton.