Mcnamara Interview

little_miss_jag

There is no way Hugh Murray/Archi/Sean Welsh are on £250 a week. I really don't understand Jackie's logic in making such comments. There will be guys on a low basic with a decent bonus system. There will be others who will be on more than £250. Discuss the whole system Jackie not just the basic wage, it doesn't paint the full picture (maybe its just the picture that we want others to see...).

I don't suppose wage structures, bonuses etc have changed since McCall tho' the global amount available will vary from year to year. I suspect Jackie is being economical with the truth here. Anyway maybe it's just me but I don't find an average basic of £250 a week incredibly low, not when you take in the youngsters.

Factor in win bonuses, squad appearance money, and an overrider* based on final points then you get the bigger picture. Also I wouldn't be surprised given the age of many of our players that there's percentages of any sell ons to be considered should they re-sign.

*McCall let it slip a few seasons ago when asked if he'd play the youngsters as soon as it was impossible to win the league by answering that the other players wouldn't be too happy as there was a bonus for finishing 2nd.

He stated average wage was £250. Some of the younger players will be on less and the more experienced a fair bit more. Saw SoD and Aaron Sinclair getting into their motors after the Pars cup game. They certainly aren't on high wages yet, but they are just starting out. It makes me even more supportive of our squad that they are putting in a great deal of effort this season despite earning a living wage.

When you consider there are 35 players listed on the squad page including the young (reserve) lads... If you take them into consideration, then the average probably will work out at about this.

But with a squad of 35 with an average £250 thats about £350K a season on wages.

Now, those young lads will probably be on £100 quid a week, but established players or experienced players who came in may well be on about £18-25k a year.

Why McNamara made the comments? Well, it seems it got blanket press coverage so it wasn't a throw away line, it was tactically placed in the press for a reason... probably to build a perception of the club and the work ethic at the club, to send out a message to opposition fans and managers.

He knows these sort of things will get messageboard coverage on the likes of P&B, so if opposition fans take note of it, say Dunfermline fans, they look at Thistle, then look at their club and their high earners and it plants a seed in their heads "WTF is going on at our club, these guys are stealing a wage, we should be miles ahead of Thistle" and they start getting on the backs of their own players...

or

other clubs look at the article and think.... wait a minute, mcnamara can build a squad that plays great football and are sitting in the middle of a promotion battle and his squad are on a pittance.... we could get him in here to do a job, cut back on the wage budget that manager X is wasting seeing us finish bottom 6 of the SPL every year, maybe mcnamara could do the same thing on half the budget... he could just be making other teams aware of the job he is doing with the constraints in place...

The question is.... was this a tactical decision by the club/board/management team to get this info out into the domain.... or did JM do it off his own back?

Is he playing mind games with opposition managers, or advertising how good he is, to oppostion chairmen?

When you consider there are 35 players listed on the squad page including the young (reserve) lads... If you take them into consideration, then the average probably will work out at about this.

But with a squad of 35 with an average £250 thats about £350K a season on wages.

Now, those young lads will probably be on £100 quid a week, but established players or experienced players who came in may well be on about £18-25k a year.

Why McNamara made the comments? Well, it seems it got blanket press coverage so it wasn't a throw away line, it was tactically placed in the press for a reason... probably to build a perception of the club and the work ethic at the club, to send out a message to opposition fans and managers.

He knows these sort of things will get messageboard coverage on the likes of P&B, so if opposition fans take note of it, say Dunfermline fans, they look at Thistle, then look at their club and their high earners and it plants a seed in their heads "WTF is going on at our club, these guys are stealing a wage, we should be miles ahead of Thistle" and they start getting on the backs of their own players...

or

other clubs look at the article and think.... wait a minute, mcnamara can build a squad that plays great football and are sitting in the middle of a promotion battle and his squad are on a pittance.... we could get him in here to do a job, cut back on the wage budget that manager X is wasting seeing us finish bottom 6 of the SPL every year, maybe mcnamara could do the same thing on half the budget... he could just be making other teams aware of the job he is doing with the constraints in place...

The question is.... was this a tactical decision by the club/board/management team to get this info out into the domain.... or did JM do it off his own back?

Is he playing mind games with opposition managers, or advertising how good he is, to oppostion chairmen?

Ans with the possibility of the Caley job up for grabs!! :innocent2:

I don't think McNamara is being 'economical' with the truth or anything here at all, it's fairly obvious that he is not trying to say that our first team squad are on £250 p/w. I do think he is indulging in a spot of self-promotion, but why not. He's an ambitious young manager who I think we all accept if he continues the way he has gone about so far will be off sooner rather than later. I'd hope he'd hold out for something more appealing than the Caley job, especially since the only way is down from there at the moment.

As with the players, the best way for McNamara to get noticed is to win this league, without doing that he is unlikely to make too much progress.

I don't think McNamara is being 'economical' with the truth or anything here at all, it's fairly obvious that he is not trying to say that our first team squad are on £250 p/w. I do think he is indulging in a spot of self-promotion, but why not. He's an ambitious young manager who I think we all accept if he continues the way he has gone about so far will be off sooner rather than later. I'd hope he'd hold out for something more appealing than the Caley job, especially since the only way is down from there at the moment.

As with the players, the best way for McNamara to get noticed is to win this league, without doing that he is unlikely to make too much progress.

Got to agree and disagree in parts.

What I have issue with is an employee of the club using the press to tout himself out when the jobs only half done.

It may not have been intentional but it's also touted out the players.

I accept he has no loyalty to the club, I accept that neither do the players. But there is a way to act, this isn't it.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware we have a full time press officer, I would hope that if the UK wide press wish to speak to the manager that they seek the ok of the press officer and the PO makes the manager aware of what information should not be provided to the public!

I would hope that the manager and the press officer would use that opportunity to big up the name of the club. What I wouldn't expect is for the manager to use the opportunity to big himself up whilst splashing the club wage budget across the British press.

How many championship clubs do you think now have our manager and players on the radar after the article? Clubs which wouldn't think twice about a gamble on 1000 quid a week on a 19 or 20 year old?

Lets not forget, the local press are the ones who our stay away fans read, the ones the club should be using to get them back, giving exclusive interviews on a weekly basis.

Can anyone tell me why said local press are copy and pasting their Thistle news from our website, whilst our manager is giving interviews to the Herald and Sunday Times?

• Like 1

Having taken a day to think about this it seems to me that Jackie is looking to put himself, and the players, firmly in the shop window.

I accept that Jackie and most of the players probably see themselves at bigger clubs in the future. However, is the first week of the January transfer window the best time to tell everyone that our average wage is £250 a week?

I think we all have to accept that, win the league or not, our playing and coaching staff will pretty much be dismantled during the summer.

Sometimes I think I would actually rather stay in the 1st division if we win the league.

• Like 1

I think the advantage is that being in a promotion battle will attract high calibre of manager should jackie move on.

Also the renewed contract and therefore higher but out clause will assist us in paying a better wage, or providing a small budget to a new manager.

Of course this is all hypothetical worst case scenario.

As I've said I've no grudge with any young player or manager wanting to better themselves.

What I have an issue with is the manager using the uk press for personal PR and the press officer allowing it.

Having taken a day to think about this it seems to me that Jackie is looking to put himself, and the players, firmly in the shop window.

I accept that Jackie and most of the players probably see themselves at bigger clubs in the future. However, is the first week of the January transfer window the best time to tell everyone that our average wage is £250 a week?

I think we all have to accept that, win the league or not, our playing and coaching staff will pretty much be dismantled during the summer.

Sometimes I think I would actually rather stay in the 1st division if we win the league.

I think if we were to win the league our players and management would want to stay for at least part of the season in the SPL. Play well and their stock rises much more than it can in the First Division, though I suppose that is a gamble for them.

• Like 1

There is the issue of league reconstruction to consider. If the SPL is enlarged, we ought to be promoted next season if we miss out in May.

I'm not sure it's fair to say he is trying to put himself and the players in the shop window. As it stands, he hasn't won anything and there are no vacancies for which he would be an obvious candidate. Why would he want his players in the shop window? His best chance of moving up is if we win the league, be it this year, next year or whenever, and he won't do that if he stays and we lose half our squad. As I see it, he answered the questions in a way that downplays his budget - he didn't lie to anyone, and yes, it makes it look like he's doing a good job, but I don't see him trying to advertise himself.

I'm also not indifferent to the downsides of getting promoted with a squad that has just lost a few of its best players and/or the manager, but surely Rugby Park, Tynecastle and Tannadice are prefereable to yet more visits to Cappielow and Almondvale, even if we were struggling against relegation.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Got to echo what Ian and Dave are saying here, I cannot understand the logic behind this article being allowed to be released.

As I have said earlier in the thread it is clearly economising the truth, so really the only thing it has served to do is put our manager and players firmly in the minds of other people.

I have no problem with people wanting to do better for themselves, indeed I would be disappointed if people were happy to sit and take a wage. However I believe Jackie has got this one wrong, and I believe he and our "press officer" should be held accountable.

Got to echo what Ian and Dave are saying here, I cannot understand the logic behind this article being allowed to be released.

As I have said earlier in the thread it is clearly economising the truth, so really the only thing it has served to do is put our manager and players firmly in the minds of other people.

I have no problem with people wanting to do better for themselves, indeed I would be disappointed if people were happy to sit and take a wage. However I believe Jackie has got this one wrong, and I believe he and our "press officer" should be held accountable.

Fined a week's wages?

I was at Hospitality for the Dunfermline game and Ian Maxwell was asked the question about wages during his stadium tour. He told us all that the highest earner's at Firhill even with bonus were lucky if they were on £25.000 a year. :shok:

sounds about right

this thread is mountain out of mole hill by some

Guest fredthecheesecloth

£25k. Decent enough.

All I can say to other poster is we shall see. If we get through January untouched in terms of departures then maybe so.

Talking about mountains out of molehills....cup fina tickets/dumbarton tickets...I digress...

I was at Hospitality for the Dunfermline game and Ian Maxwell was asked the question about wages during his stadium tour. He told us all that the highest earner's at Firhill even with bonus were lucky if they were on £25.000 a year. :shok:

Did you think they'd be on any more than that?

There are probably a considerable few who are reading or writing on this thread that are earning more for their respective jobs than thistle players. If the interpretation that Jackie was putting himself on the shop window then that is something that he is entitled to do - like we all are when we look at S1 Jobs.com looking for better pay and conditions -so the fault does not lie there. From a fans perspective, yes, i guess we do have an interest in keeping the clubs employees, even if they are on not so good terms and conditions, but as has been said earlier, it is the club that controls media output so id say its their **** up rather than jackies.

If anybody else is interested in any of our players or management team,they don't need to wait until something is put in the press. They will be able to find out what it will take to entice them away,pretty easily. All they need to do is ask the agent or player/manager. The article isn't doing anything to jeopardise our position.

A lot of the young lads in our first team are on £250 a week with a little appearance money. It is imperative we get behind them to get us through this slump. Some have knocked back part-time contracts which would have earned them more money to sign for us.

Their talent and determination could lead to other clubs interest not their lowly wages.

Not sure why you're shocked. Sounds reasonable to me. Why do you think that is shocking for the Scottish 1st division?

Edited by One t in Scotland

• 3 weeks later...

Bringing this thread back because it should be quite obvious to everyone now that we have been well and truly played here. Reading the article again it's quite clear that this was no more than free advertising for Jackie.

Of course no laws have been broken and he was perfectly within his rights to do the interview, but I think it's a real lesson to the PR people at the club. Jackie was always looking to get away to bigger things as soon as possible. That's his right but we at PTFC need to look after ourselves first and foremost.