When Jackie Takes The United Job

The Legend Blows

I think we should be following the Swansea model as close as possible. They lost several managers to bigger clubs on their ascent to the premiership but kept the same philosophy the whole time. We should be looking to implement a structure at Firhill that allows this to happen. The only people who should be considered for the job should be those who are prepared to follow the good work that Jackie and Sid have started. I'm talking about style of football, formation, youth development. For example, having every team at every age group playing the same formation and style of play.

Lyon have been using the same model to become the best team in France from relative obscurity. The manager isn't the important man, he's just the man that implements the ideologies of the director of football and the board. Changing manager doesn't generally affect them.

I guess we have a similar set up in that our scouting system carried on from the McCall tenure into Jackie's, something that proved successful in finding Buchanan, Harkins, Doolan and Erskine (and a few diddies too) and has now found Muirhead, Sinclair, etc.

Everything's relative: McCall was a huge improvement on Campbell, in the sense that Victorian sanitation facilities were a huge leap forward from Anglo Saxon or Pictish equivalents. In that sense, I still wouldn't fancy a morning in a Dickensian bog following 17 pints and a dodgy curry the night before.

Genuinely no pun intended with McCall and jobbies.

Edited by Blackpool Jags

Everything's relative: McCall was a huge improvement on Campbell, in the sense that Victorian sanitation facilities were a huge leap forward from Anglo Saxon or Pictish equivalents. In that sense, I still wouldn't fancy a morning in a Dickensian bog following 17 pints and a dodgy curry the night before.

Genuinely no pun intended with McCall and jobbies.

Naughty boy!!

Sid would be my choice but I think he'll be off too. The only person at the club that can take charge for now is Archie. If it were up to me I'd give it to Archie for the rest of the season and bring Lambie in as his assistant, but I can't see that happening due to Lambie age/relationship with the board.

Stark or Hartley would be my preferred choice.

Edited by Santana

Couldn't afford Stark, would need compo. Hartley has done well at Alloa, but he never smiles. I din't know why that's important, I just don't see players taking to him. But he has got the same amount of points as us, in a brand new league, so he deserves a mention.

Edited by chunky jag

Well i guess this thread is about to go into overdrive.

Personally i hope the board dont take the obvious option and give it too archie. I would like a more experienced manager with perhaps archie as assistant.

Wonder if someone like Derek McInnes would be interested. Im guessing it may be a level too low but if you dont ask you dont get. I see someone mention Billy Stark would people be happy if he took it but also continued to do Scotland u21s? Again someone like him with Archie as assistant.

Not so sure with Hartley but i cant deny hes done a great job at Alloa

Who do people want?

Please god don't let Stark near the job. I know of at least 1 player that would walk out of their contract if he got the job. Doesn't know how to communicate with younger players and wants all his players to be over 6 feet and built like a brick shit house. Anybody bar him.

I didn't at the time feel it was anything more than my paranoia but Archie's article in the official site appeared to be kinda protracted. More management speak than senior player patter.

We're entering uncharted waters now. For once we've got the players and a winning style of football. Gut feeling is to stick till league lost or won with some amalgam involving Archie, Maxie, Murray & Hinchy.

btw Sid and Kenny Crighton also away

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I didn't at the time feel it was anything more than my paranoia but Archie's article in the official site appeared to be kinda protracted. More management speak than senior player patter.

We're entering uncharted waters now. For once we've got the players and a winning style of football. Gut feeling is to stick till league lost or won with some amalgam involving Archie, Maxie, Murray & Hinchy.

btw Sid and Kenny Crighton also away

Where have you seen this? Rubs salt in the wounds if even our physio is leaving with JM.

Assuming league reconstruction (again) with two promotions from SFL1, even with a few hiccups we have a very good chance of promotion. Would it not be wiser to appoint an interim manager for the rest of the season, and then appoint a new "permanent" manager once a new (bigger) budget is in place when the TV deals and other sponsorship income is known at the end of the season

• Like 1

But the gulf between us and queens is much smaller than between us and united.

I've always felt Stevie Craigan would make a good manager, he speaks total sense, young and enthusiastic, knowledgable. He's doin lots of media stuff just now but I think he fits the Jackie mould.

I also remember one of those a-z articles in the evening times, from year we won 1st div, and the player being interviewed was asked who is the most boring player in squad or somethin, and he said it was Craigan, as all he did was talk non stop about football, sayin he knows everyting about the english conference etc, he strikes me as a studious guy.

Before i get a sarcy response, no i do not want a manager appointed cos he'd be good on question of sport, just his personality strikes me as one who would leave no stone unturned. Like jackie, played internationally too.

Considering he's our national teams u21 coach I find that a strange fact if true

Just ask any under 21 player that has played for our national set up. Stark is an arrogant ass...believe me, he would upset our dressing room. The only reason our international set up are trying to introduce a European style of football is the Dutch influence now at the SFA. Stark is from the old school, lump the baw up to a couple of 6 ft strikers and totally miss out our midfield.

This would have half our team wanting away. (My opinion)

If an interim management team is to be put in place, then not just Archie and Shuggie should be considered, but also Son of Joe, whose playing career may be drawing to a close in the not too distant future too, and whose public statements showed a care with words that isn't normally associated with professional footballers.

• Like 1

This appointment is one of THE most important decisions in the recent history of Thistle.

The BoD simply have to get it right.

My heart wishes Archie for manager but I fear it is a season too soon.

I'd go for Johnston at QoS. Tap up wee Moore at Morton for a laugh. :evil:

Dont fancy Hartley and if Jim Duffy gets the job, I'd probably do myself an injury.