When Jackie Takes The United Job

The Legend Blows

I was thinking more of someone from outside the rather less than inspiring list we've seen so far. I'd had to see Alan thrown into the meat grinder.

Our record with the player-manager role isn't great. Derek "Dude, where's my car?" Johnstone, Sandra Clark and Murder MacLeod spring to mind *shudders*

• Like 1

I was thinking more of someone from outside the rather less than inspiring list we've seen so far. I'd hate to see Alan thrown into the meat grinder.

I'd always thought Archie was too quiet too be a good captain (and by extension a manager). A good solid defender and fine servant to the club yes but in charge I have my doubts. I realise he's been involved in the coaching and he may be effective in a quiet way with young players but don't really see him as manager. Might be good as part of a two man team with a more experienced guy.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I was thinking more of someone from outside the rather less than inspiring list we've seen so far. I'd had to see Alan thrown into the meat grinder.

Archie is winding down his playing career, has been for some time on the coaching staff and I believe got to some level with his badges. It's always a big step when someone becomes a first time manager, and it's usually thrown in at the deep end stuff, but if management is the route he wants to go down here's the opportunity.

Our record with the player-manager role isn't great. Derek "Dude, where's my car?" Johnstone, Sandra Clark and Murder MacLeod spring to mind *shudders*

I'd like to think the fault lies more in the selection rather than in the concept of player-manager,

At this moment in time we've no relegation worries and still the possibility of promotion. It's just gut instinct but I feel the best way to win the league would be to appoint Archie temp manager till the end of the season,

I'd always thought Archie was too quiet too be a good captain (and by extension a manager). A good solid defender and fine servant to the club yes but in charge I have my doubts. I realise he's been involved in the coaching and he may be effective in a quiet way with young players but don't really see him as manager. Might be good as part of a two man team with a more experienced guy.

A lot of folk thought the same about Jackie. They did their talking more on the pitch. I feel any new manager should utilise our experienced players in any future coaching set-up. The club is in a much better position than when McNamara took over, imo.

Onwards and upwards.

TTID

I think Archie may wind down his playing career if given the manager role. I wouldn't be surprised to see Muirhead back at centre back if SOD is fit for Saturday.

I feel player-manager isn't ideal and hasn't worked at Firhill. I forgot Tommy Bryce as well. The coach needs to focus on the match and disassociate himself from the playing squad, imo.

It's hard to remember exactly but am I right in saying that Jackie was the first appointment that the board in it's current form had made?

From memory McCall was there before Beattie took over and the new members were added and others removed/left.

With that in mind i'm not overly concerned in that they obviously saw something in Jackie initially and will know what kind of person they are looking for this time.

I've seen Swansea used as an example of a board making several successful appointments by following the same criteria that has been succesful in the past.

At the completely opposite end of the scale from us Barcelona have also done the same by building a team whilst at the same time bringing on coaches that can step into the main role if needed. (i'm not comparing Thistle to Barca btw, just the situation they find themselves in) It happened with Guardiola and subsequently Vilanova.

The reality is that Archie is going to get 2-3 games minimum regardless. If he picks up some decent results bearing in mind a good few of the upcoming games are away ones which we have struggled with then I have no real issues with allowing him to continue to the end of the season.

Failing that then i'd be looking at us to appoint a young manager with the same footballing philosophy that has been implemented thus far at Firhill.

Truth is, we know very little about Alan as a coach. I'd hate to see him, being so green, lumped with trying to achieve a cup win, a league win and then sustain the side in the SPL. It'd be a hell of an achievement, though.

The reality is that Archie is going to get 2-3 games minimum regardless. If he picks up some decent results bearing in mind a good few of the upcoming games are away ones which we have struggled with then I have no real issues with allowing him to continue to the end of the season.

Archie in there temporarily seems the likeliest thing unless our board spring a surprise upon us.

However, our next three games are all away fixtures, culminating in Greenock Morton. I don't know how everyone thought we would do even without McNamara chucking it.

IF we lose all three? IF, I mean; I don't know what will happen. Season over anyway? Should we persevere anyway with whomever is appointed in charge until the Summer?

God, this could be a fantastic, or a truly miserable, month coming up ahead.

I am glad that we have someone in place and that it is Archie however my only concern is that say it does not go right...... say we go on a poor poor run then the abuse will start and it will start. I am greatful that Archie has stepped up to the plate but I do think the board at this moment in time have a product that many a quality manager would jump at the chance to take on and keep it going in the right direction.

Please dont take this the wrong way I more than most want Archie to do well but know that if it does not then there are many fickle fans out there and at times in the history of Partick Thistle me included will turn and to me a legend like Archie does not deserve that pressure.

I hope and pray Archie that you do the business and you will have my backing 100% regardless.

• 3 weeks later...

Iain Fergsuon aka The Knuckle Dragger aka The Pope Puncher aka Iain Fergusash.

So the media are still punting their pals / orange lodge mates as suitable candidates I see.

I still remember this quote when Thistle didn't do as the media said so-

"I used to call Partick Thistle the cuddly toy of Scottish football. Right now they are about as cuddly as a vipers' nest."

Best chant I ever heard regarding him was Clydebank fans at Love St - Cup tie (St Mirren were the holders!) - 3-0 to the Bankies and their fans chanting at Ferguson "Only w@nk*rs dye their hair!" - I guess you had to be there but the pure joy of those singing and the anguish/rage from Ferguson was a thing to behold.

The cvnt would have to rise in my esteem by over 500% for me to think of him as a tosser.

John brown,neil lennon,iain ferguson,peter grant all the same old firm bigoted tossers. No way should any of them be near a club with our views on bigotry.Partick thistle the great glasgow alternative.
  • Like 4

Is it a better fit if your ex celtic?

Just wondering

Off the top of my head:

Ex-Rangers players who became our manager: D. Meiklehjon, W. Thornton, S. Symon, D. Johnstone, S. Clark, I. McCall

Ex-Celtic players who became our manager: B. Auld, M. McLeod, G. Collins, G. Britton, D. Whyte, J. MacNamara

I make it six each. No comment on whose faces fitted best at Firhill.....

Edited to add: I did not use the words R****** or C*****.

Admin has deemed it fit to replace my own words with these offensive ones.

Edited by Jaggernaut
  • Like 1