Half A Job Jackie

TartanC4

After some thought and deliberating I'm still puzzled as to why macnamara ewould take the dundee utd job, The Partick thistle board where good enough to give him his managerial break. And the job he has done at thistle has been amazing and I have loved the football he has.....sorry had us playing. The players he has plucked from Scottish football obscurity, the promotion fight, the ramsden cup final.....why would he not want to see the job through?

After some thought and deliberating I'm still puzzled as to why macnamara ewould take the dundee utd job, The Partick thistle board where good enough to give him his managerial break. And the job he has done at thistle has been amazing and I have loved the football he has.....sorry had us playing. The players he has plucked from Scottish football obscurity, the promotion fight, the ramsden cup final.....why would he not want to see the job through?

Probably about 75,000 reasons if he is getting the wage Houston was meant to be dropping to!!!

Edited by Lindau

Dundee United are a much bigger club than Thistle?

Be part of more prestigious games?

He's doubling his wages?

He'll have a bigger transfer budget?

He'll get to work with better players?

Better recognition so he'll have a better chance of moving to the Celtic / Championship?

A chance to manage against European teams?

Possibly win a national trophy?

He will get none of that with Thistle.

It is possible that we could not get promoted and lose the CC final.

Then in the summer he could lose Erskine, Muirhead, Bannigan, O'Donnell etc. and end up struggling in the first.

A lot of fans wanted him sacked at the end of last season. If he turned in a series of bad results the same would happen again.

I would do the same with not even a seconds thought.

Dundee United are a much bigger club than Thistle? - I'm not going to argue, but there's plenty much, much bigger than united.

Be part of more prestigious games? - Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Celtic, and a dungdee derby if your lucky... aye, that's real glamour.

He's doubling his wages? - Yup, probably. But the man's hardly skint.

He'll have a bigger transfer budget? - He'll f**kin need it.

He'll get to work with better players? - I could conceed to that. But surely half the satisfaction in management is improving the players you've got. And let's just wait and see if he takes any of ours with him.

Better recognition so he'll have a better chance of moving to the Celtic / Championship? - If you mean media coverage, the east coast fans are always bleating about the west coast bias. If you simply mean recognition of success i'd say that getting promotion with the jags this season could only equate to second in the league and a cup final appearance for united.

A chance to manage against European teams? - If St. Johnstone can qualify for europe, so can the jags.

Possibly win a national trophy? - Possibly.... possibly.... ... ... possibly not?

Dundee United are a much bigger club than Thistle? At the moment, but will be playing only for a top 6 place

Be part of more prestigious games? Tayside derby & his old club pumping them

He's doubling his wages? The real reason!!

He'll have a bigger transfer budget Hardly Houston was leaving cause UTD offered him less wages and said they were skint

He'll get to work with better players? Better paid players

Better recognition so he'll have a better chance of moving to the Celtic / Championship? Would be more in the window doing the double with us

A chance to manage against European teams? Well Scotlands in Europe

Possibly win a national trophy? That could be over come 5pm saturday

• Like 1

It all comes down to money......no honour, no decency. Thought he was bigger than that.

Its not about honour or decency its about money, Jackie has bills to pay, any manager in the First Division would have done the same, last year many people wanted him sacked, give the guy a break and wish him the best for the future, time to move on and get over it!

• Like 1

like ours

Its not about honour or decency its about money, Jackie has bills to pay, any manager in the First Division would have done the same, last year many people wanted him sacked, give the guy a break and wish him the best for the future, time to move on and get over it!

GAgree entirely, having supported Thistle for a good many years, I've learned to accept the harsh realities of football at a club like ours i.e. we're skint and nothing is likely to change in that regard, in the foreseeable future. We shouldn't be bitter and twisted, there's enough people with that mindse in this city already unfortunately. All we can do is get right behind the new interim management and hopefully cheer them on to the league title.

Edited by stillresigned

GAgree entirely, having supported Thistle for a good many years, I've learned to accept the harsh realities of football at a club like ours i.e. we're skint and nothing is likely to change in that regard, in the foreseeable future. We shouldn't be bitter and twisted, there's enough people with that mindse in this city already unfortunately. All we can do is get right behind the new interim management and hopefully cheer them on to the league title.

Well said! Jackie is gone, get behind the new management and cheer on the Jags to win the League :thumbsup2:

Loyalty in football long gone.

Given Jackie's away record I think Dundee Utd have taken a massive gamble. I heard his interview tonight & think he's been told that Mackay-Steven & Russell are away & if they somehow stave that off tomorrow it'll definitely be in the Summer!

Now I know they have a good youth system up there but the last thing a chairman like Steven Thomson would want is for them to be in that scrap to avoid the bottom 8 if the fabled SPL plan does go through & if he's relying on youth to do it...

I can see why he took step up & with 3 away games this month I guess he couldn't take the gamble of waiting til the Summer if things went belly up.

On our plus side, maybe a fresh look at our away form is a good thing at this time of the season & continuity with Archie, Hinchcliffe & Kenny Crichton every bit as important to continue our good home form.

Time will tell who made the better decision.

One total certainty is that after long and successful playing careers at the highest level neither jack nor Sid would have any worries about paying bills even if they'd stayed at Thistle and got paid hee haw for ever and a day. Basically they have jumped ship at the absolute first opportunity. That says everything to me about what they think of our club. I notice in the clubs' announcement regarding Archie and Scott Paterson there is not a word of thanks to Jackie or Sid, only words about bitter disappointment. I 'm with the club there. They've let everyone associated with PTFC down. Bye bye both of you.

• Like 2

One total certainty is that after long and successful playing careers at the highest level neither jack nor Sid would have any worries about paying bills even if they'd stayed at Thistle and got paid hee haw for ever and a day. Basically they have jumped ship at the absolute first opportunity. That says everything to me about what they think of our club. I notice in the clubs' announcement regarding Archie and Scott Paterson there is not a word of thanks to Jackie or Sid, only words about bitter disappointment. I 'm with the club there. They've let everyone associated with PTFC down. Bye bye both of you.

I noticed that too, it has the tone of a parent disappointed in their child, think they feel a bit let down.

It's been half a season of sensational home form, I think we may have (and i include myself in this) over reacted,, lets have faith in Archie and move on!!

Edited by chunky jag

He was on the verge of tears in this interview. Regrets it already:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21249708

I don't know if you are being sarcastic, but what struck me in that interview was the number of times he mentioned us, when the question had no relevance to Thistle.

I don't blame jackie for being ambitious. A bit disappointed in him yes, gutted he's gone but I always admired the way he carried himself through his career.

The story of him leaving Celtic to sign for Wolves, because he was not happy about the way Celtic had let his contract expire despite Strachan calling him on the way down just strikes me as someone who is very single minded. As such I'm not surprised if he believes this is the road to bigger things that he'd jump at the chance.

Doesn't matter what they have earned in their previous lives. That's immaterial. Who decides when you've earned enough to live on in your job? Your wife? Your mother? Your acoountant?

They didn't sign their lives away when they signed up to be manager and assistant of the Jags.

They've done a great job for us, but unfortunately, Houston is a c*** choosing to go when he did. That's our bad luck.

Get over it and be thankful for the most adventurous Jags football since Davie McParland was in charge.

Many Thanks Jackie and Sid for giving the thrills back to Firhill.

Good luck to you both in the future.

• Like 3

I think this a selfish act by McNamara. He has just had his contract renogiated and remember this the same guy who left Celtic immediately after having a benefit game in his honour. A lot of Celtic fans are still angry about that.

I hope that Rangers beat them on Saturday and the best team in Firhill go on and win the double.

MacNamara has shamelessly let us down. Four months that’s all four more lousy months and we could have had something really good. Hopefully Archie will keep the momentum going but if he doesn’t I hope the fans don’t turn on him and at least give him credit for trying.

MacNamara, already a wealthy young man, has fallen very easily into the culture of disloyalty that is professional football. Make no bones about it he has dumped, walked away, and turned his back on the club that gave him his first chance in management. And for that alone Thistle deserve a modicum of loyalty at least until the league title challenge and cup final reaches a conclusion.

His timing couldn’t be worse at such a crucial time, and he’ll be well aware of that. And does he care, no not one jot. There is absolutely no excuse for this. Though unbelievably some fans on here seem to be making them for him.

I can still hardly believe that this has happened.

• Like 1

LOL.

Houston left because, "My concerns are the fact that we have to compete on the pitch. There is only so much you can do if you continue to cut." He said he wasn't going to renew his contract which ends at the end of the season. He wanted to better himself professionally, just like McNamara - but it sounds like he cared about the health of his squad too.

He didn't leave of his own accord in the last couple of days - it was mutual consent. As Thompson said, "We've been working on it for the past wee while, quietly, behind the scenes." Obviously they were looking at Pressley or McNamara and wanted them in sooner rather than later. I suspect Mcnamara was the cheaper option. And he jumped at the chance.

And yet Houston's a 'c**t' and McNamara gets praised. OK. If you see a difference, fair enough.

Doesn't matter what they have earned in their previous lives. That's immaterial. Who decides when you've earned enough to live on in your job? Your wife? Your mother? Your acoountant?

They didn't sign their lives away when they signed up to be manager and assistant of the Jags.

They've done a great job for us, but unfortunately, Houston is a c*** choosing to go when he did. That's our bad luck.

Get over it and be thankful for the most adventurous Jags football since Davie McParland was in charge.

Many Thanks Jackie and Sid for giving the thrills back to Firhill.

Good luck to you both in the future.

The point I'm making is they didn't leave for financial reasons. In a recent interview in the Scotsman (?) Jackie indicated he was half way trough a 3 year plan to get us to SPL. The board, from, the statement, didn't expect him to dump us part way through the season when the league and a cup are very winnable. No one would begrudge him and Sid the chance to progress. The timing is an insult to PTFC.