How Unusual Is This?

Auld Jag

On Wednesday i took up my usual place at the very front of the north stand with my son who is a wheelchair user.While Morton players were going through there warm up i got hit by the ball.I now have a black eye and had to get my glasses straightened by my optician.As i have been following Thistle for over 50years and this is the first time this has happened to me i was wondering if ii has happened to anyone else?

When I first started going to Firhill in the 60's there was a lot of space behind the North goal area and they used to park the little light blue three wheelers there, quite regularly they used to get hit by wayward shots. With the lack of space between the goal and the stands these days I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Sorry to hear about your injuries Auld Jag, hopefully the repairs weren't too expensive and I bet your son will love telling his mates how Da' got a ball smack in the face at the Thistle game.

I got smacked right in the face by the ball as a kid about 20 years or so ago standing behind the other goal. I'm sure it was Andy Murdoch in goal at the time. It was a belter and I went in the huff with my dad for laughing at me for the rest of the game! It's not happened since thankfully!

When I first started going to Firhill in the 60's there was a lot of space behind the North goal area and they used to park the little light blue three wheelers there, quite regularly they used to get hit by wayward shots. With the lack of space between the goal and the stands these days I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Sorry to hear about your injuries Auld Jag, hopefully the repairs weren't too expensive and I bet your son will love telling his mates how Da' got a ball smack in the face at the Thistle game.

Optician fixed glasses FOC.

Almost on the same topic. I saw someone down the front get their head to a wayward shot. I almost managed this in the main stand many moons ago, but my mate got his hand to it just before me and I heedied fresh air. It must have looked like I connected tho' because I got a cheer from the shed.

Edited by thisal

• Members

Lost count of how many matches (Thistle and other) that I have been to and I have never managed to touch a match ball.

Was just about to say the same. Been going to games for over 40 years and only once has the ball came my way, at Love Street, made a clean catch and threw the ball back to Kenny Arthur for a goal kick.

Admittedly not at Firhill, but as a 9 year old at Lochburn Park one very cold and rainy Saturday, a Maryhil player hit a cracker that went narrowly wide of the post. I was standing behind the goal and went to heedie it back to onto the field. Well, the ball was soaking and it wasn't plastic coated like the modern balls. It nearly took ma heid clean aff!

For weeks, it seemed, I had big horrible 'panel' marks on my forehead and side of my face. Can't remember anything hurting that bad or stunning me like that before or since. :wacko:

• Like 1

Many many many years ago (1970?) I was at the Under 20 European Championship 3rd/4th place play-off Scotland v France at Firhill (Andy Anderson played for Scotland I seem to remember) - I was down at the wall (great because the terracing was high enough for a decent view). There was a 50-50 block tackle between 2 of the players and the ball flew out of play like a bullet - it caught the chap immediately to my left full on the side if the head - almost knocking him out cold - very distressing. Within seconds he had been helped by those of us around him (I was 10 so was probably of no use at all) - and the Ambulance guys arrived and he was taken away - I suspect (indeed hope) he was OK. Being 1970 the ball was perhaps a little more lethal; than modern versions but perhaps didn't travel quite as fast.

Took a sore one in the, ahem, breadbasket from a misplaced shot by Paul Cairney up at Ross County last season....

Was that Ross County in September?

I ducked out the way of a ball behind the goals at Ross County last year and it hit some poor guy in the breadbasket as you call it ha!

If it was you sorry!!

A female steward in the Jackie Husband stand was cracked in the back of the head, at one the games earlier in the season.

Many moons ago, during one of our bleak spells, I remember a match at a deserted Firhill where there was utter silence thanks to the dross on the park. The ball flew out and hit a someone in a wheelchair over in front of the empty Main Stand. The poor guy was wailing and moaning in pain for about ten minutes, and that's all you could hear in the whole stadium ...

Lost count of how many matches (Thistle and other) that I have been to and I have never managed to touch a match ball.

After going to football games for more than 30 years I finally got a fingertip (as opposed to a full on hand) on the ball at the Accies friday night game this season.

Chuffed wasn't the word! :P

Think I saw the Morton player aplogiosing on Wed but at the time see what he'd done. Hope the gegs are all fine now to watch the title run in!

Back in the 80s I remember Kenny Watson blasting the ball out from the touchline and taking out a wee boy sitting on a wall at Boghead versus dumbarton. He instantly jumped the wall to pick him up. Think the fact he was a legend partly made up for the transgression.

Didnt happen to Me but my wife got a belter at Queen of the South sitting in the 3rd row. Paddy Keogh skewed his clearance. The ball was rocketing towards her at the precise time I was bending down to pick up my coffee. When I got upright I was greeted by a look of horror. She had taken the full blast on her nut and sent her glasses into row 10!! Some guy did return both halfs to her and asked if everthing was ok. to which I replied. "I forgot the sugar" Didnt go down to well and the wife had a ball mark on her face for a week. :happy2::innocent2:

• Like 3

I came very close to getting whacked with the ball @ Morton a few seasons ago. I had just got to the stadium and was walking down the stairs in the Wee Dublin end when Bryn Halliwell failed to catch a Craig Hinchcliffe punt during the warm up, but I was able to make a textbook catch before it hit my face. Got my hands in the "W" position, soft hands, and clutched the ball to my chest. Bryn was impressed needless to say.