Just In

Stewarty

A good summary. A few lessons were taught this time, although time will tell whether they've been learned or not. Among others: don't ever treat the opposition with disdain, to the point that you're holding back from scoring. (Surely that lesson should have been learned from Culter and Queen's Park this season!) AndMcGuigan doesn't have the cutting edge of Doolan or Craig: he looks good, but he doesn't have the eye for goal of either, and he doesn't bring others into the game - although that may be down to a reluctance of others to support him. We'll need more cover for holding midfielders. Apart from losing Paton, all three alternatives were injured today, and Craigan only came on because Archie spotted that he was essential. Archie's substitutions show a tactical awareness that may yet pull us out of the mire - vastly superior to those of....what was his name again?

Part of that was down to Erskine, who won't be here next season; Lawless, in particular, was being bullied physically.

Some players need to be told: "Play to the whistle!" Probably over and over again, until they can say it in their sleep. The tendency to look appealingly to the referee is only going to give the advantage to the opposing team. It's childish and unproductive - even where, as for Dunfermline's second goal, there has been a blatant foul. Referees hardly ever revise decisions or non-decisions, and in Scotland only where the deluded and the demented are involved: the players have to realise that and keep up with the action. To be fair, there was a fair bit of aggressive mishandling from today's opposition, but many of our players just passed the ball, got up and got on with it.

Keep up this attitude, and this team should be looking for a top 6 place next season.

I think sinky in particular needs to be told this, ok it might be a foul but by going down like a dying swan and leaving your team in trouble doesn't help. Plus his crossing is still honking, Charlie adam esque to the back post where no one ever is.

Bye bye erskine, it's been fun but good luck and all the best.

I know there's a Champions vs. The Pars thread but that seems to be more of a minute-by-minute update, so here's the traditional thread.

That was an odd match to say the least. We absolutely coasted through the first half, to the extent that it looked like a training match at times. Having said that we didn't create that many clear cut chances. In the second half we were again in control but the defence went AWOL. I couldn't believe that we were 3-1 down given the percentage of possession we were enjoying. But this isn't a team to lie down and it was typical of us to equalise in the last minute. Fantastic.

Regular visitors to this forum will know that I'm not Forbes's biggest fan, but I thought he was quite impressive in a more withdrawn role where pace wasn't required and he had the game in front of him. Bannigan was again excellent, and McMillan put in an assured performance in his first full debut. It must have been tough on the Pars fans to see him not only score but clear one off the line.

I though Elliot struggled to make an impact - I remain unconvinced - and I have my reservations over whether McGuigan is mobile enough considering out style of play.

But hey, we're champions. Champions!!!

I thought that in first half our boys were given so much space that they started "showboating" a la Barcelona. Looks good, but no end product. Jeffries being a wily old cove, sussed this out by half-time , changed his formation and told his team to have a real go. They did and really shook us up. Only when Thistle got down to serious business ( at 3-1 down!) did the penny drop. Dunfy were not here to make up the numbers, they really wanted TO WIN THE GAME - and arguably deserved to do so..

Not convinced that either Elliot or McGuigan could cut the mustard in the SPL.. And on another point, I can't recall ever seeing a full back get so much ball in an attacking position and do so little with it as is the case with Sinclair. Where is the incisive attacking play he showed a year ago?

But tonight is not a night for carping!

Sincy still has a lot to learn. Gets into great positions but his crossing is abysmal. Nearly every cross he put in today was too hard hit and always to the back post. If he gets that sorted he will be some player. Something he should be working on in the pre season. Elliot and McGuigan were poor today but they aint had much match time this season, so its a hard decision for Archie to make. Ross Forbes must be signed up. Couple of wayward shots today but I thought he dictated the middle of the park until Archie changed the system. Be disappointed if he aint given a new contract as he does offer us something different!

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

What a day today, the draw felt like a win after being 3-1 down! When the third goal went in I nearly lost my voice, possibly the loudest i've heard it all season.

First half looked so easy, when the goal went in I thought we'll have this no bother. Dunfermline played well in the second half and we defended poorly, caught on the break far too often without realising the potential for danger even though the warning signs were clear with the chances they had before the goals. But great attitude and determination to get another couple of late goals to keep the good run going!

Pars fans are having a melt down about the Thistle fans goading them at the end of the game.

It's maybe an overreaction from them but let's just be grateful their reaction has been thru the keyboard and not thru more traditional means.

Anyway I'm chuffed Archie has kept his unbeaten record. The score aside it's been a great day and the result is kinda insignificant. Oh, and anyone into the fixed odds you should keep an eye out for any matches where Willie Collum is the ref. That guy can affect any result with the greatest of ease.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Forbes was fantastic yesterday in the deeper role, was just taking the ball off the defence and spraying the ball about the park. Him and bannigan ran the show in the first half and it was like watch barca with all the possession.

Great fight in the end to get the draw, this team never gives up!

Erskine was fantastic and will be greatly missed.

Turning point in 2nd half was when the Dumfy fans started singing "champions are sh**e !!" after their 3rd goal , it spurred our boys on to play a cracking last 5 mins and earn a draw, so lets say thanks to the 13th man !!!! Dumfy played a good second half and are certainly 1st div material , hope they stay up , but possibly won't if given an extra 10 pts deduction , although they would probably win the play offs anyway with this exciting young team, but great day all round , the wife came with me and enjoyed every minute, and yes , who did the counting ?? Papers says 5,667 , think they must be short about 2000 , great crowd and hope they come back next season !!

SOD and Sinclair have shown how good they can be, just need more consistency. McMillan will be good competition and we need someone like than for Sinclair. I know Bannigan has showed he can play well there but I think/hope he will be too important to our midfield next season.

Dunfermline really did up their game in the second half. Our midfield did get over run at times during the second half. We miss Paton – don’t think they would have scored the 3 goals if he was playing. I expect Hugh Murray to paid off for the remainder of his contract so we need to sign two holding type players who can tackle for the SPL.

I thought McGuigan did okay, he is not as good as Doolan or Craig but he would have not been match fit and he needs a run of games. As people have said on here, loaning him out to a first division team makes a lot of sense. I hope he starts next week.

Elliott did not get involved enough in the game, on this showing not up to the SPL but again I hope he gets another chance next week to start the game.

Dunfermline really did up their game in the second half. Our midfield did get over run at times during the second half. We miss Paton – don’t think they would have scored the 3 goals if he was playing. I expect Hugh Murray to paid off for the remainder of his contract so we need to sign two holding type players who can tackle for the SPL.

I thought McGuigan did okay, he is not as good as Doolan or Craig but he would have not been match fit and he needs a run of games. As people have said on here, loaning him out to a first division team makes a lot of sense. I hope he starts next week.

Elliott did not get involved enough in the game, on this showing not up to the SPL but again I hope he gets another chance next week to start the game.

Neither McGuigan nor Elliott got much service yesterday. A lot of nice showboat passing around in midfield yesterday, but that's exactly what it looked like: showboating rather than trying to cut through their defence and get our strikers involved. And of course Aaron's crosses went way beyond everybody's reach.

Only other negative comment on yesterday: yet another sky-high free kick effort by Forbes. Awful.

Only other negative comment on yesterday: yet another sky-high free kick effort by Forbes. Awful.

Agreed Jagger but dont miss out the other things he did. I thought he controlled the midfield until Archie changed the system.

Edited by Lindau

I have said before, we need to try something different at free kicks around the box. The % success rate must be appalling.

On yesterday's showing, I don't think McGuigan or Elliot would make the squad for next season, but there were maybe too many changes to the team ? I would be interested to hear Archie's reasons for the substitutions he made. When SOD came on McMillan was certain he was coming off. Was he injured. He had made a couple of gestures to the bench previously.

Great day! My wee girl was one of the mascots and absolutely loved it. The missus was even there to see her first ever game and also loved it.

Only complaint (and it is a minor one) is that the players didn't come down to the City End with the trophy Top marks to Chris Erskine who was the only player who did though.

As for the game itself, the first half was like a training match with us so far on top without ever getting out of first gear, it was almost embarassing.

Second half and Pars obviously responded to their half time bollocking and took the game to us, could've scored more than 3 and it was only after they scored the 3rd that we finally responded. Great fight shown by the players and epitomises why we are champions. If the game had lasted 5 minutes longer, we'd have won. Got to love a last minute goal!

• Like 2

SOD and Sinclair have shown how good they can be, just need more consistency. McMillan will be good competition and we need someone like than for Sinclair. I know Bannigan has showed he can play well there but I think/hope he will be too important to our midfield next season.

McMillan could have other offers for next season so there's no guarantee that we will keep him. Only Fox has signed a new contract so SOD, Forbes and Doolan could be considering other options too. Archie is going to have busy May.

Why does nobody make and sell enamel badges anymore? One of my prized possessions is my champions badge from 2002, and all I wanted was one for this season. Plenty of cheap scarves and t-shirts being hawked outside the ground before the match ... but no badges : (

I get all my enamel badges from Tommy in fleabay all he sells is Thistle bages and they are top quality

Bizarre comment on the BBC website - "Champions Partick Thistle won the title with a 2-0 win at Falkirk on 20 April and will be promoted to the SPL, subject to meeting stadium criteria."

Firhill meets the stadium criteria easily so why make the comment. There have been other comments on the BBC website that suggests that there is anti-Jags staffer.