Tonight's Glasgow Cup

andyconnor

I wonder if PTFC will comment on last night's damage on the official site. It would be reassuring if they'd let people know that they are seeking adequate financial compensation for the damage inflicted on the stadium by vandals. I would expect that in addition to the seats that were ripped out, many more will have been twisted and/or cracked by people jumping up and down on them. And of course there will be considerable cleaning costs accrued.

I wonder if PTFC will comment on last night's damage on the official site. It would be reassuring if they'd let people know that they are seeking adequate financial compensation for the damage inflicted on the stadium by vandals. I would expect that in addition to the seats that were ripped out, many more will have been twisted and/or cracked by people jumping up and down on them. And of course there will be considerable cleaning costs accrued.

Going with the pictures here and the black on the seats they have dillebretly been broken

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/celtic-rangers-old-firm-under-17-1860750

Did you notice that one photograph had a German anti-fascist symbol? Oh, the irony.

From Herald report of the match: " The atmosphere was a great learning curve for our players". ( Tommy McIntyre, the Celtic coach.) " It was like the Milan Derby and to be honest we expected it from both sets of fans as they have not been at each other for a while." ( Billy Kirkwood, Rangers coach.) So everything is fine then all round? What hope is there for Scottish football ?

People entitled to their own views BUT deliberately picking on one guy in a photae (yes he's a mate) once was bad enough. Repeating it was out of order. Not sure what the agenda was there.

Not defending the actions of anybody of a Jaggy persuasion (and two wrongs definitely don't make a right in my personal book) but one comment I'd like to make - from my spot on the terracing behind the North Stand, I watched these 'nice' Pars hanging over the edge of the Main Stand taunting and begging people on the pitch for a fight. They showed a lot less class than their players and officials on the day. People all around me in North Stand were gesturing at them. Only PGB didn't snap them with his untrusty lens. Or didn't choose to post those photos.

We're a pretty tight knit group in the EoS Jags, so I'm not trying to claim impartiality here, but this is random snap out of context. Jags fans have been more 'together' this season than for many years. Let's keep it that way.

• Like 1

banning orders should be issued

also our club should not let any celtic fan in when we play them in the spl next season if this happens i doubt it but it would show we are

1. not pushovers

2. we ourselves have self control with our fans

3. make it a atmosphere that will spur our team on

I would love to think that the press would expose and condemn the actions of both sets of........................I was actually going to say supporters there......................scum, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to read in tomorrows press that there was an electric atmosphere inside Firhill and how Scotland needs rangers back in the SPL etc, etc, etc.

Aye, I see the BBC are right on the ball with their reporting:

"Unrest at Celtic v Rangers U17s Glasgow Cup Final" (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-22351486).

Christ, going by this standard the Holocaust would've been reported as alleged discrimination. If one thing never changes in this neck of the woods its the continual pandering to and sometimes glorification of bigoted, sectarianism dressed up as pseudo- political/religious ideologies which in any civilized society would have been consigned to the dustbin of history many years ago.

If any action is taken it will be the usual shrugging of shoulders and incomprehension of either club as if the negative consequences have suddenly appeared in our midst without any warning whatsoever.

As many have said it's obvious much of the trouble was caused by daft wee boys, but equally the element of forethought would also suggest that there was some malicious organisation at work here too. No doubt heightened by the absence of the currant buns from the SPL, this match afforded the opportunity to strike a blow against the other side for Ireland/Ulster/ the Queen/ the Pope etc. etc..

My overwhelming reaction to this incident is one of sadness, that this should take place in the 21st Century, but after all its only another chapter in the litany of shame we all know so well.

• Like 1

Would think it would have been part of the deal that if any deliberate damage to the stadium occurred they have to foot the bill.

Given the behaviour of the fans inside the ground as well as before the game I would like Strathclyde police to comment on the number of arrests both inside and outside the stadium for public order offences including drinking in public or being drunk in a football stadium, higher tariff arrests for threatening behaviour, assault, criminal damage or why the match commander decided not to use the full powers at his/her disposal to prevent or deal with these. Given the tendency of the police to pick easy targets and bottle making big decisions, it would be interesting to hear them justify their action/inaction.

Jesus wept.

As you can see from the picture, a supporter is passing a broken seat down to the front, so it doesn’t hurt anyone.

That's right, he's not waving it about as if celebrating the act he has just done.

The article itself is a stream of absolute pish. Keeping up the tradiion of 'we are the victims here, pretending that only the Celtic fans have been blamed, pretending that there has been no mention of any of the Rangers fans indiscretions in the media (well how come there has been just as much mention of their chanting, their flares, their pitch invasion as there has been of broken chairs in the Celtic end). A load of pish that I can't believe I read.

As posted above in the thread, there are pictures that clearly show boot marks covering dozens of seats that withstood the force of those committing the acts of vandalism. Not just the folding out parts of the seats that some may have been standing on, but the backs of seats that would have required deliberate boots attempting to dislodge them from their frame. Obviously the acts of fans caring for their fellow fans by trying to remove and get rid of those dangerous pieces of plastic that allow them to watch a match in comfort.

Given the behaviour of the fans inside the ground as well as before the game I would like Strathclyde police to comment on the number of arrests both inside and outside the stadium for public order offences including drinking in public or being drunk in a football stadium, higher tariff arrests for threatening behaviour, assault, criminal damage or why the match commander decided not to use the full powers at his/her disposal to prevent or deal with these. Given the tendency of the police to pick easy targets and bottle making big decisions, it would be interesting to hear them justify their action/inaction.

Hundreds of people singing sectarian songs, some setting off flares and throwing them, right in front of Strathclyde's "finest" (God help us!). What did the "finest" do to earn whatever the policing costs came to, exactly?

Instead of blaming the police, we should be blaming the people who act in such a way that police presence in a requirement for such events.

The police always get a hard time, but I'd like to see how people on here would act to remove the vandals, sectarian singers, etc without starting a riot.

Hundreds of people singing sectarian songs, some setting off flares and throwing them, right in front of Strathclyde's "finest" (God help us!). What did the "finest" do to earn whatever the policing costs came to, exactly?

3 arrests....

sorry, incase you thought you misread the line above. there were only 3 arrests last night.

Don't mention it and it will go away. See no evil. hear ho evil talk sh*t that's the Scottish way!

Instead of blaming the police, we should be blaming the people who act in such a way that police presence in a requirement for such events.

The police always get a hard time, but I'd like to see how people on here would act to remove the vandals, sectarian singers, etc without starting a riot.

Sorry, but the police are professionally trained and paid by society to protect people's property and keep the peace. The should be qualified to include "when they want to."

Of course the root of the problem lies with the thugs and not the police. But that's similar to the argument that local councils should not clean up litter because people should to be better educated.

some happy snaps in the daily mail of mcoist, smith and lawell all smiling broadly at firhill last night. have not heard a word of apology as yet, suggesting that they are so accustomed to such behaviour they do not consider last night'e events worthy of comment

' The loutish behaviour and sectarian undercurrent hasn't gone away in the last year. But in a domestic campaign which has failed to get out of second gear, this was a sharp reminder of why the Old Firm have to be the driving force behind our game. '

Forget any other derby in British football. In fact, scrub any other city rivalry in Europe. No other Clubs could produce the kind of atmosphere witnessed in Maryhill last night. And it reminded everyone in Scottish football just what we have been missing '

The above quotes are taken from the Daily Record's Scott McDermott.

Not defending the actions of anybody of a Jaggy persuasion (and two wrongs definitely don't make a right in my personal book) but one comment I'd like to make - from my spot on the terracing behind the North Stand, I watched these 'nice' Pars hanging over the edge of the Main Stand taunting and begging people on the pitch for a fight. They showed a lot less class than their players and officials on the day. People all around me in North Stand were gesturing at them.

I'm told Dunfermline have more than a few following them to away games that are barred from East End Pk.

' The loutish behaviour and sectarian undercurrent hasn't gone away in the last year. But in a domestic campaign which has failed to get out of second gear, this was a sharp reminder of why the Old Firm have to be the driving force behind our game. '

Forget any other derby in British football. In fact, scrub any other city rivalry in Europe. No other Clubs could produce the kind of atmosphere witnessed in Maryhill last night. And it reminded everyone in Scottish football just what we have been missing '

The above quotes are taken from the Daily Record's Scott McDermott.

As I said in an earlier post( on the Herald report ), " What hope is there for Scottish football " None, if it has to be based on Irish bigotry and hatred ! The fact that no other clubs could produce this atmosphere is a cause for shame, not self-congratulation.