New Goalkeeping Coach Required

Fawlty Towers

Sunday Mail reporting that Craig Hinchcliffe has left to join Dundee United. He did an excellent job bringing on Tuffey then Fox as well as working with the youth players so will be difficult to replace, hopefully Archie has someone lined up.

I suppose it won't be long until Jackie gets Kenny the physio up to Dundee as well :mad:

Chrichton apparently knocked back DU.

I heard this too.

From what I understand, goalkeeping coach was really Hinchy's bit on the side here as he has his own construction company. I doubt he'd have been under any sort of retained contract, especially given McNamara and Donnelly were only on the equivalent of a gentleman's handshake until they signed those proper contracts at the turn of the year.

I think Hinchy did a bit more than just goalie coaching. I believe he also gave up quite a bit of time to train kids at all levels.

I wouldn't find it easy to criticise him leaving, especially as he waited till the season was out. I'm glad Foxy has committed himself to the Club as had he not yet re-signed there would be uncertainty caused by Hinchy's departure.

I don't think we should kid ourselves on that replacing Hinchcliffe with a suitable coach of his calibre and commitment will be easy.

One thing which this latest swoop by McNamara shows is that he obviously doesn't have much in the way of contacts in the game (whether that is because he's young, or quiet, or whatever). Either that or he has no imagination. Has he signed anyone, player or backroom, from anywhere else other than us so far?? It's beginning to look quite weird.

If I was a DUFC fan (and there but for the grace of God go us all), I'd be pretty alarmed that he is constantly returning to an SPL1 team (however good we are) over and over again to 'strengthen' his team - given that PTFC will realistically be aiming to stay up next season.

• Like 2

Management teams tend to stick together, that's what happens. The funny thing is Hinchcliffe another McCall appointment.

Plenty of experienced goalies out there who might fancy a player/coach role & then, if he's interested (& released from Celtic) Glen Daniels as younger back up to develop & challenge Fox.

Rab Douglas has left Dundee....just wondered if he would maybe be a good shout as goalie coach and back up to Foxy.

Loads of experience and think he's maybe got something left as a back up.

I made that suggestion on another thread (post 38) a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by kni

I was emptying the pockets, earlier today, of the coat I wore to the 1-0 Morton game, and I found a scrunched up empty Bovril carton. Just before I threw it into the bin, I hesitated for a moment and wondered if McNamara would be likely to want to take it to Tannadice.

I think he would if Ian McCall had bought it originally :whistling:

There is only one candidate.

The great Kenny Arthur.

Interesting. I've never been his greatest fan, and my heart still goes in my mouth when I think about his kick-outs. But he was a competent keeper, and might still be fine as a back-up keeper alongside a coaching role.

We should definitely enquire about Gordon. I think because he's not played for a full season; SPL will be the level of his return. Much like McFadden. So there's no reason why we shouldn't be one of the clubs after him. We can offer him the flexibility of coaching first (like he's doing at Dumbarton) and playing when, or if, he's ready (ie. no pressure on him, we go ahead with the season on the assumption - Fox = number one). It might just tempt him...

Interesting. I've never been his greatest fan, and my heart still goes in my mouth when I think about his kick-outs. But he was a competent keeper, and might still be fine as a back-up keeper alongside a coaching role.

Coach only. He's retired now.

Think he would make a great goalkeeping coach and knows the club very well.

• Like 1