A Song To Ditch

Chicob

When I started this thread I was expecting pelters but I have been pleasantly suprised at the number of people who are capable of self reflection and willing to acknowledge when some minor changes are required. Also delighted to see others stick their necks out and post their own reservations of some other songs despite knowing the usual predictable and boring 'pc brigade/get a life' tags would be flung their way. For the record the only other song I find totally objectionable is the Mary fae maryhill dross.There are loads of wee lassies, teenage lassies and guys with their daughters at firhill and away from home and to subject them to this sexist garbage is dispicable. Don't tell me to get a sense of humour either. I might have found such witty gems like 'I'd love to ride her' and 'tits falling out of a jumper' hilarious when I was 12 but sorry not now. I don't think for one minute ditching this rubbish whilst continuing with the rest of our songs plus more imaginative new ones will mean firhill is not buzzing next year.

Are u saying we should stop singing mary fae Maryhill??? get a grip of yourself man!!! these songs are part and parcel of the game! its a fckn fitba match not a songs of praise rehearsal!!!

• Like 1

Does this debate not come up every year? I guess the rhymes they are a changing. So I will probably keep this one out of my repetoire.

Morton sing a song with similar tune and lyrics? Someone get working on the last line and take out the potentially offensive lines.

Back in the day did we not sing something along the lines of

"We hate Roman Catholics, we hate proddies too,

We hate hindus and moslems,

but Thistle we love you."

I guess that one won't be getting revived ;)

Seriously, I'm happy to leave politics and religion at the turnstyles on the way into Firhill, big part of why I love the club :D

Are u saying we should stop singing mary fae Maryhill??? get a grip of yourself man!!! these songs are part and parcel of the game! its a fckn fitba match not a songs of praise rehearsal!!!

Aye exactly, it's a "fitba match" ....point out what this song has to do with football? I don't accept that such degrading song is "part and parcel" of the game, maybe in the 70's aye, but not now? Not when there's young lassies and kids coming to watch their team.

Let's hope we all come to Firhill to vocally support the Jags, not to denegrate the other team's beliefs, although the much derided "banter" is part of the game.

I used to bring a son to the game now a grandson and granddaughter, with more to follow. So should I teach them all the words to Mary fae Maryhill now or when they are of an age to appreciate the deep historical and cultural issues it raises?

....My daughters-in-law would kill me.

Women and kids obviously didn't exist in the 70s. Did guys like Will spring forward from their maw's foofs as fully formed adults?

There were also black people in the 60's, does that warrant racist chants? Society changes, as does what is considered acceptable or offensive, we should keep up.

Edited by Spud1971

When I started this thread I was expecting pelters but I have been pleasantly suprised at the number of people who are capable of self reflection and willing to acknowledge when some minor changes are required. Also delighted to see others stick their necks out and post their own reservations of some other songs despite knowing the usual predictable and boring 'pc brigade/get a life' tags would be flung their way. For the record the only other song I find totally objectionable is the Mary fae maryhill dross.There are loads of wee lassies, teenage lassies and guys with their daughters at firhill and away from home and to subject them to this sexist garbage is dispicable. Don't tell me to get a sense of humour either. I might have found such witty gems like 'I'd love to ride her' and 'tits falling out of a jumper' hilarious when I was 12 but sorry not now. I don't think for one minute ditching this rubbish whilst continuing with the rest of our songs plus more imaginative new ones will mean firhill is not buzzing next year.

In that case, I'll say it. take your PC crap and shove it.

Long live Jags fans sticking it to the sectarian mong. it's no wonder I hate the close season having to put up with crap like this.

:censor: your pope and :censor: your queen :)

My 10 year old son shouted "you kick like a girl" at a Falkirk player. Is he no longer welcome at Firhill due to shouting sexist abuse?

Well at least your sons comment had something to do with football. However, I think there's bit of difference between shouting "you kick like a girl" and chanting she's as "tight as the paper on the wall" and "i'd love to f*cking ride her"

• Members

Women and kids obviously didn't exist in the 70s. Did guys like Will spring forward from their maw's foofs as fully formed adults?

Don't bring me into this argument!!! I've been a sweetie paper rustler since my debut on the 16th October 1971!!!

Not at all mate, just a bit of banter but if my last post caused you offence then I retract it.

The thing that is in danger of offending me is your fear of offending anyone.

You state I put across an, "ironic argument of anti bigotry". I wasn't making any point of "anti bigotry". I respect anyone's right to follow a team with a sectarian bias. They should be allowed to sing whatever songs they want and express freely their opinions and beliefs.

I suggest to you that the song we are debating is more a statement that in distinguishing ourselves from the old firm, the sectarian divide which troubles this city is not an issue that concerns us while watching football, rather than a proclamation that we are right and all others are wrong.

Outlawing this freedom of expression would be an act utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, opinion. Or more concisely, bigoted.

:fan:

In that case, I'll say it. take your PC crap and shove it.

Long live Jags fans sticking it to the sectarian mong. it's no wonder I hate the close season having to put up with crap like this.

:censor: your pope and :censor: your queen :)

Like I said the usual predictable boring response.You seem a bit too hostile here, almost coming across as

though you enjoy the sectarian tension just a wee bit too much.Careful, you might end up breaking some seats.

• Like 1

Like I said the usual predictable boring response.You seem a bit too hostile here, almost coming across as

though you enjoy the sectarian tension just a wee bit too much.Careful, you might end up breaking some seats.

Never broken a seat in my life.

Like I said, I hate the close season as it gives people like you a platform for your ill advised views

i don't particularly mind the song but if we go to parkhead next season and a thousand jags fans sing fk your/the pope during a game then surely there will be repercussions of some form... celtic fans and the media will be desperate for some second rate sectarian story since the death of rangers

Think back in the day when everywhere you turned you'd see FTP or FTQ graffiteed over walls everywhere, then that was a legitimate way to express anti sectarian sentiments using the language of the day. Those kinda insults don't circulate that much any more so it is out of date and would make us appear to be the dinosaurs rather than the OF if we were to belligerantly carry out that song.

No - offence Big Col, but equating being shit at football as being a property of being female IS sexist. Obviously your sons just a wee boy but if he was to be shouting something racist presumably you'd be having a word with him rather than defending his right to do so? Unfortunately when it comes to sexism, football as a sport, at all levels, is in the stone ages - anybody who has a daughter who would like to get into football could probably testify to that.

Edited by mrD
  • Like 2