Singing Section V Celtic

Partick75

At the last Falkirk game(happy days) the Jags supporters were body searched by the stewards,for what reason I am still unsure,when entering the ground as the police looked on.I asked a polis why this was happening as it was very unusual .He said it was club policy and nothing to do with the police,and seemed a bit embarressed about the whole thing.

Will the thistle stewards be doing this at the Celtic game.And if so why is there a problem here as surely any flares etc would be picked up then under the watchful eye of the Glasgow police.

Also if the police cant handle all this segregation inside the ground and leaving through certain exits how will they handle it in the road at the front of the ground.

Im sorry to say this,as a good mate of mine is a policeman and also a big jags fan,but it stinks of the police making life easy for themselves and ignoring the real trouble.and the the Jags board are caught in the middle of it all.

Segragation forms part of the Safety certificate it can be removed if its deemed not to be adequate - sorry If im sounding negative Im not- just trying to explain the process so people have as much info as possible

When we play Rangers at Ibrox we exit the stadium in the immediate vicinity of their fans, similarly at Tannadice, to name but two grounds.

I must say, and I might be alone here, but I'm unconvinced about all the stuff we are being fed about the level of influence the Police seem to have over things at Firhill. Last season we had the insistance that the North Stand be over 16s only, something I'm not aware of happening at any other ground, and now we have stuff about segregation (see my first paragraph) and flares, despite Celtic fans seemingly being allowed in the main stand at Fir Park.

When we play Rangers at Ibrox we exit the stadium in the immediate vicinity of their fans, similarly at Tannadice, to name but two grounds.

I must say, and I might be alone here, but I'm unconvinced about all the stuff we are being fed about the level of influence the Police seem to have over things at Firhill. Last season we had the insistance that the North Stand be over 16s only, something I'm not aware of happening at any other ground, and now we have stuff about segregation (see my first paragraph) and flares, despite Celtic fans seemingly being allowed in the main stand at Fir Park.

This has been my point. It's so inconsistent to the point of being completely nonsense what the police are saying.

To me there will be more likely to be 'trouble' due to fans entering/leaving Main Stand and North Stand due to the very close proximity of the two compared to JH and North. I mean its a fair wee walk for fans exiting north end of JH to get round to Firhill Rd is it not?

Is this merely a Glasgow thing?

Sooooooooo..who's boycotting then?? :whistling:

Hmmm, too angry and p*ssed off to make rational decisions. I liked the idea of banning Celtic for obvious reasons but this was never going to happen; so more of a novelty value suggestion IMO. At the end of the day money talks. Put simply and in terms of crowd and atmosphere etc, the N Stand was the best thing that's happened at Firhill in years. It's a sad day that it's been taken away as I think this will kill the atmosphere at many home games; especially those where we'll be able to count the away fans!

I can always find an excuse not to go to Firhill but then guilt kicks in; plus I can't live with the threatening texts from a few regulars. Time to call my therapist...

So much over reaction on this thread in my opinion. It's unfortunate that we have to give up the north stand because the Celtic fans can't be trusted to behave decently. But it's hardly news that OF fans can't be trusted. And I don't think the club have acted poorly, when you hear the full story. And, to be honest, I wouldn't want to ban Celtic fans from Firhill, because regardless of how scummy they are, these big games are part of what it's all about. So I think we should all move on, with club, team and fans united.

If I was a Celtic fan I'd be hugely embarrassed, so I do think this should be publicised as far as possible.

I agree with most of what you have said, but have highlighted the bit in bold as this is not neccessarily just for one game, and isnt just about Celtic. Jim Alexander has said as much. Say we play Celtic at Firhill early on in the season and the Police etc. decide that the stadium set up with away fans in the North Stand is easier to police/segregate - they could then recommend it stays this way for all matches and we couldn't do anything about it. Our hands are tied.

Disappointed that Chris Jack in the Times today seems to suggest it was a Thistle decision to 'ban' the Celtic fans from the main stand. Doesn't do us any favours.

I don't see Thistle agreeing to this being a regular thing. I can actually see sense in it applying to Celtic games, unfortunate though it is, but while it may be possible to extend it further on police advice, surely the club/board could apply its judgement and see what it could be losing if it consented.

Full front page spread in evening times 'Celtic fans firhill stand ban'

Not read the details in the article yet. Mabey someone with a bit of computer savvy can upload the link?!

Typical level of scottish journalism.....turn any story round and create a attention grabbing sensationalist headline, to make it sound that either of the arse cheek and blight on our society are the actual victims.

When , in fact, as we all know, its the Thistle supporters in the North stand, the overall atmosphere and home backing of the team in the ground, and the thistle players on the park, who are the real victims and losers in this.

Link to ET story here

Edited by yoda-jag

So the petition now has well over 500 signatures.

Well done to everyone who has signed.

The board ignore this at their peril.

So, 34 hours after this post (sigsigcigarette count 625 now incidentally), and 17 hours after the board claptrap bullshit waffle 'statement', what is the course of action that you propose comrade?

(I also note since the news broke, neither pt or i-mac have posted on forum, assume this is due to them being firstly pissed off massively at board bumbling blurb, and secondly discussing behind closed doors what to do next for the singers they represent).

Disgusted at the decision to give Celtic fans the North Stand when we play them.

The way things have worked out it looks as if Celtic fans have been rewarded for previous bad behaviour and their team is now given an unfair advantage (taking over the North Stand and thus replacing Thistle's "Singing Section"). Whereas it is the Thistle fans who pay the price and are forced to move. We are the ones made to suffer - not the Celtic fans. Dosen't seem fair to me.

This has now set a precedent and may happen for who knows what other home games in the future - depending on police recommendations. The police have far too much influence and just seem to wan't an easy life - they should be concentrating their efforts on dealing with any Celtic fans who have flares, break up seats in the stadium - rather than taking easy options, ie:Thistle fans being moved and messed about at their own ground.

So, the timothies have won the pre-match advantage in terms of where the fans will be placed. Of course they've already won the advantage in terms of all the press build-up to the match, which hasn't even started but there's nothing surer. And of course their special status will be full in the minds of the match officials during the game itself.

That's what we have to beat.

So, 34 hours after this post (sigsigcigarette count 625 now incidentally), and 17 hours after the board claptrap bullshit waffle 'statement', what is the course of action that you propose comrade?

(I also note since the news broke, neither pt or i-mac have posted on forum, assume this is due to them being firstly pissed off massively at board bumbling blurb, and secondly discussing behind closed doors what to do next for the singers they represent).

I know what I'd like to be done next.

If this decision is non-negotiable I'd like serious pressure put on the club to refuse Celtic an allocation stating that under no circumstances will we stand for Thistle fans being punted out of the North Stand.

• Like 1

I know what I'd like to be done next.

If this decision is non-negotiable I'd like serious pressure put on the club to refuse Celtic an allocation stating that under no circumstances will we stand for Thistle fans being punted out of the North Stand.

Agree, i do.

This time last year, we had Beattie/the club rolling over, letting their bellies be tickled by one arse cheek, and being proponents in the RFC RIH / Sevco affair, re their admittance to SFL1.

This time this year, it appears Beattie/the club is rolling over and letting their bellies be tickled by the other arse cheek.

Consistent, at least i suppose.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Agree, i do.

This time last year, we had Beattie/the club rolling over, letting their bellies be tickled by one arse cheek, and being proponents in the RFC RIH / Sevco affair, re their admittance to SFL1.

This time this year, it appears Beattie/the club is rolling over and letting their bellies be tickled by the other arse cheek.

Consistent, at least i suppose.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

I don't get this. This is a change to protect Thistle, as they have been advised, and have good reason, to not trust the Sellick fans. It's disappointing but why read things into it that don't exist?

It's not even a great position, behind the goals. It means something to our fans, but we're not giving away the best seats in the house.

Edited by allyo

In the past 12 months we have...

1. Failed to clearly say No to Sevco in SFL1

2. Failed to properly and publicly condemn the disgraceful scenes at the Firhill Cup.

3. Moved our own supporters to accomodate Celtic.

Without wanting to sound like a tinfoil hat wearer this isn't a particularly good track record for a club who share the same city as these 2 horrible clubs and for a club who have a fanbase who unanimously hate them both.

There is a line between diplomacy and being a wet blanket, not sure what side of the line the club are on to be honest.

• Like 5

Not quite - the safety team Police Fire Ambulance and Council Safety Officer make recommendations - we in turn decide if we abide by them - the Council Safety Licence team takes account of the recommendations and if we have followed them - its highly unusual to get a Safety Certificate ignoring Safety Team recommendations

I'm missing something here, generally a safety certificate runs for "X" period and covers the admittance of "Y" amount of fans for "Z" purpose.

So we would have a safety certificate for the Main Stand, to house 1800 fans for the purpose of watching association football for a period of 12 months.

Are we stating that our safety license for the main stand (Remember we keep being informed it is a different safety certificate than the JHS etc) is valid for the whole period except when Celtic appear? And it specifically states Celtic?? If so GCC are in breach of their own discrimination laws when it comes to granting safety licenses to public events.

• Like 2

In the past 12 months we have...

1. Failed to clearly say No to Sevco in SFL1

2. Failed to properly and publicly condemn the disgraceful scenes at the Firhill Cup.

3. Moved our own supporters to accomodate Celtic.

Without wanting to sound like a tinfoil hat wearer this isn't a particularly good track record for a club who share the same city as these 2 horrible clubs and for a club who have a fanbase who unanimously hate them both.

There is a line between diplomacy and being a wet blanket, not sure what side of the line the club are on to be honest.

What did the teams do at the Firhill Cup that was disgraceful?

There were disgraceful scenes at the Glasgow Cup final which was played at Firhill.

Edited by kni

I'm missing something here, generally a safety certificate runs for "X" period and covers the admittance of "Y" amount of fans for "Z" purpose.

So we would have a safety certificate for the Main Stand, to house 1800 fans for the purpose of watching association football for a period of 12 months.

Are we stating that our safety license for the main stand (Remember we keep being informed it is a different safety certificate than the JHS etc) is valid for the whole period except when Celtic appear? And it specifically states Celtic?? If so GCC are in breach of their own discrimination laws when it comes to granting safety licenses to public events.

We have a Stadium Safety Certificate and all stands are covered - there are conditions on the Main Stand due to the Wooden Cladding - escape times - fire requirements etc - there has been concerns raised ref use of flares and recommendations regards the fan segregation - we can comply with the recommendations or not - it is at our risk - BUT the Council can take out a prohibition order regards any part of the Stadium and enforce - We also need to factor in if anything went wrong and we ignored the information provided by Police then any inquiry by H&S would take this into account regards future liability and prosecutions.