May 2004 Last Game In The Spl

London Exile

Not even Gerry Britton or Kenny Arthur who was on the bench to give Pinkowski some game time? I'd certainly have both in the squad.

Didn't look at the bench. Britton could make the bench and, sure, Arthur can join him. Fox > Arthur though - as much as I like Kenny.

That Killie side looks quite decent, had a quick look at where they finished: 10th. Surprised me a little.

Kenny Arthur should never have been anywhere near an SPL side, a very below-average keeper whose long service to the club has shrouded his limited ability. A Gerry Britton type is exactly what we're in the market for right now if our interest in Sutton was to be believed, he would be in ahead of Doolan. Up front is probably the only area that would be strengthened, the 2004 side really was dreadfully bad.

Kenny Arthur should never have been anywhere near an SPL side, a very below-average keeper whose long service to the club has shrouded his limited ability.

Have to say that's extremely harsh on Kenny.

He was no Alan Rough but made some outstanding saves for Thistle, many of which were probably worth six figure sums to the club.

Let's take his penalty save in the Peterhead game for example. Who knows where we would be now had it not been for that?

I remember him having a great game at the end of season 98/99 when we beat Forfar 1-0 to avoid dropping in to the 3rd division. Would we even have a club today if that had happened?

• Like 1

Kenny Arthur should never have been anywhere near an SPL side, a very below-average keeper whose long service to the club has shrouded his limited ability. A Gerry Britton type is exactly what we're in the market for right now if our interest in Sutton was to be believed, he would be in ahead of Doolan. Up front is probably the only area that would be strengthened, the 2004 side really was dreadfully bad.

Gotta disagree with this. Kenny Arthur was a good goalkeeper, he had his faults but don't think he was anywhere as bad as some. Guy was basically 4th choice scotland keeper at this point and he served thistle very well.

Simply, I will never hear a bad word about kenny, good goalie and a good guy too! Thistle legend!

• Like 4

I'll accept that he was the king of penalty saving, he's certainly the man you'd want between the sticks in a shoot-out. The 2005 Inverness cup game sticks in the memory as one of his better performances. But in terms of consistency in performing well across all the assets you'd expect of a goalkeeper, in my view he's just not a patch on Fox or even Tuffey. At least he wasn't Bryn Halliwell.

Compare today's squad with the 2003 squad that did survive in the SPL-

http://www.footballs...prm/partick.htm

The likes of Paterson, Craigan, Hardie, Lennon and Burns would be ahead of the current guys IMO.

Agreed on most of them but think that our 2 current full backs, Sinclair and SOD would get in to that team. The prospect of Doolan and Burns up front could be lethal as well, with Lawless behind them.

Also, would have to put Fox in goals ahead of Kenny Arthur, much as I like him.

Edited by ian_mac

Memories of that game are beginning to swim back into focus. My recollection is that Stephen Pinkowski did well to save a penalty but unfortunately the Killie player scored from the rebound.

It was the introduction of the strong running of Anis and Panther from the bench in the 71st minute which turned the game and sparked the late fightback.